1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Never liked him after that away goal of his at the lane in the UEFA cup semi final 1973

2. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Aubameyang is back for them.

3. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with most of this, I’d rather we play Trippier Tonight. I wanna see more of Serge at Wembley. As you’re probably aware from my constant moaning, the lack of runs in behind to receive through balls, or take ons is really getting to me at the moment. If WBA come to park the bus, Saturday is likely to be another frustrating AVB game without someone like Aurier. Trippier is currently giving defences 1 thing and 1 thing only to think about. And we’re suffocated when it doesn’t work. At least Davies has provided variety in his play this season. I just want to see a different approach with some added pace to a Wembley game. I’d also like to see Dele play this eve, as quite frankly he doesn’t deserve to start on Saturday based on his current form, and someone else needs a chance.

Tonight:

Hugo
    Trippier Foyth Sanchez Rose
    Sissoko Dembele
    Son Dele GKN
    Llorente

4. Agree with the sentiments, but would personally play Aurier as well tonight. He's had limited game time recently so needs to get on the pitch asap. As much as anything to help him settle in: a new (highish profile) signing, not getting matches is seldom going to help him adapt to the club.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Yeah, tonight too is fine with me! I just presumed we’d be likely to see rotation, which is why I mentioned Trippier for tonight and Aurier for the weekend.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

There is a rumour 'doing the rounds' that Oliver Skipp could be involved tonight. If it did turn out to be true, there can't have been many 17 year olds that have made their debuts in a CL game.

Given how 'off it' Mousa's been and that Sissoko looks a fraction of his best [I know, I know] without Winks in the team, possibly he could be an option, maybe as a second half substitute?

7. Blue and White

I guess we'll know once the u19's team is announced. K.O 13:00 live on BT

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Yeah, about those rumours...

9. Blue and White

The player who's been playing well and not in the team is Keanan Bennetts. No idea if he is injured but if he has travelled then he is the one to play tonight. I've seen him a few times this year and he would deserve the call up to the seniors.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No Oakley-Boothe, either.

11. Blue and White

very true

12. Allledleykingsmen

Allledleykingsmen Well-Known Member

I dont know if im in the minority here but i think Spurs should go full strength tonight and that includes Kane, Dele, Eriksen starting.
    If we dont we could quite easily get turned over badly tonight. Dortmund are struggling this season but as we saw at Wembley they have some outstanding attacking players , it was a miracle they only scored one that night. You just cant afford to rest first team players against such quality opposition.

Since Real Madrid at home we have been poor and another bad defeat will be terrible for confidence. Yes it looks like we will top the group regardless of getting a result tonight but this is the Champions leaguem a competition we have been striving to be in for years. If we can win tonight it will give us much needed confidence again.

No doubt we will change both our wingbacks, Aurier in for Trippier and if fit Rose for Davies. Id play Winks instead of Sissoko and that would be it. Top teams are capable of playing twice a week.

13. humanbeingincroydon

I'd certainly move Dier back into midfield to support whichever of Winks/Dembele/Sissoko joins him - and if that means giving Foyth a start, then it means giving him a start. Anything would be better than reverting to the 4231 system, as every time we revert to that system we play for too conservatively and allow the opponents to dictate the game as a result.

14. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Pretty strong team..... really surprised Kane is playing after Saturday. I hope there’s no repercussions from this. Some players need a rest!

15. Allledleykingsmen

Allledleykingsmen Well-Known Member

Starting line up confirmed for tonights game -

Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane.

Excellent team that

16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Do not want Wengeritus and risking player
    season-long fitness for a game such as this.

Roo likes this.
  17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4-2-3-1? Hopefully we can get the job done without any further casualties and get back and prepare for Saturday quickly.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  18. Citizen Kane

Looks like Poch agrees with you.

19. humanbeingincroydon

In before the obligatory "We should have selected this team on Saturday" posts

Oh, wait, this isn't Twitter...

Roo likes this.
  20. Citizen Kane

After 3 poor performances in the league there is what to be said for going all-out tonight. A win away to one of Europe's best to seal top spot with a game to spare would be a massive confidence boost.

Poch has never been a fan of wholesale changes. The only name I'm surprised to see is Kane's as the heavy strapping and running through treacle impression a few days ago suggested he wasn't even 60% fit let alone 100%.

EDIT: I reckon we're going 3 at the back and using Alli in a deeper role. He's actually been better there this season than further forward, where he is either marked (i.e. kicked) out of the game or goes large periods wandering around doing Robbie Keane Mk II impressions. With Wanyama out indefinitely, Dembele off form and Toby set to miss the next dozen fixtures pushing Dier back to CB, we urgently need more options at CM.