1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 30, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Tuesday October 1st 8pm
    Champions League Group Stage
    Tottenham Hotspur Stadium​

Playing for an hour with 10 men wasn't ideal preparation for this game, but a win with character might've been.
    There have been too many fixtures recently when we've got into a good position and blown it.
    Munich are the toughest team in our group on paper, so we can probably expect another tough test.
    It's vital that we get something from our first home game in the group, though.
    We already had a taster with our Audi Cup hosts in pre-season, but this is the real thing.

Niko Kovac had a slightly strange start to his time as manager of Bayern Munich.
    He was announced as the new coach in April 2018 and then faced them a month later in a cup final.
    His contract with Eintracht Frankfurt had a clause that let him leave at the end of the season for about £2m.
    A strange position for anyone to be in, but he didn't appear to let it get to him.
    Frankfurt won 3-1 and he departed for the German champions having beaten them in his last match.

His first campaign with them was similarly successful, as they did the domestic double.
    The opening game also saw them lift the Super Cup against Frankfurt, comfortably beating them 5-0.
    A mixed start led into a superb run from December, as they won virtually every game that they played.
    Dortmund pushed them til the final day in the league though, where a win saw Bayern retain the trophy.
    Who did that win come against? His old club, Eintracht Frankfurt.

The only real stumble on their run that lasted for the second half of the season was in the Champions League.
    They faced Liverpool in the Round of 16, having won their group undefeated, pipping Ajax to top spot.
    They drew with the Dutch side twice, who also didn't lose a game, missing out to an additional draw.
    The first leg at Anfield was a stale, goalless draw as both sides failed to test the keepers.
    The second leg started equally cagily, but Liverpool drew first blood and took their chances to progress:

Bayern have started this season in much the same way that they finished the last.
    They've won four and drawn two in the league, while progressing in their domestic cup.
    A predictable home win opened their Champions League group, as they beat Red Star 3-0.

Their transfer window saw some legendary players and some tired legs make way for some new faces.
    It was a rather mixed bag of the young, the old and the unwanted, but it looks an impressive group.
    Ribery, Robben, Hummels and Rafinha all left, while James Rodriguez' loan expired and he returned to Real.
    Frenchmen Pavard, Hernandez and Cuisance were joined by young striker Jann-Fiete Arp from Hamburg.
    Ivan Perisic and Philippe Coutinho also moved on loan, both with signing options.

Lo Celso and Sessegnon are continuing their rehabilitation, but they seem to be our only absences.
    Goretzka and Fiete Arp are out for the visitors. Neither side has any suspensions.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose; Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Eriksen; Kane, Son.
    Subs: Gazzaniga, Davies, Dier, Wanyama, Alli, Lamela, Moura.
    League form: DLDWLW.

Bayern: Neuer; Pavard, Sule, Boateng, Hernandez; Kimmich, Thiago; Gnabry, Coutinho, Coman; Lewandowski.
    Subs: Ulreich, Alaba, Davies, Martinez, Cuisance, Tolisso, Muller.
    League form: DWWDWW.

Referee: Clément Turpin (FRA).
    He was the ref for our 2-1 loss to Inter last season and our 2-1 win in Dortmund in the previous one.
    He was also in charge when Alli stuck his finger up for England.

TV: BT Sport 2.

How would you like to line up for this one and what would you change from the Southampton game?
    Would you risk Aurier again or use one of our other options at right-back
    Which system and tactics would you use and what are you expecting Bayern to go with?

2. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

One from the history books:

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Was there for both UEFA Cup games against Bayern - '82/3 and '83/4, I think.

That was a great side and a pleasure to cheer on.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Cup Winners' Cup in 82/83 and UEFA Cup in 83/84, which are the only times that we've met competitively. <ok>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Ah yes, the Cup Winners Cup...as immortalised by Jasper Carrott but surprisingly not on YouTube.

7. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this - my first visit to the new stadium tomorrow night, should be a good game too (hopefully).

I am not even going to try and 2nd guess Poch for this one - but we need our best 'European' players to be involved and a win could really push us on for the season.

8. "Thanks for that Brian"

Found it......@ 30.20...

... a real classic for those of a certain vintage.

9. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I have still got that on cassette!

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

My older brother swiped our copy. I can still do most of it word for word.

The Changing Man likes this.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

LOL He's got a cassette.
    Have you still got an 8 track in your car?

12. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Jasper Carrott claimed that Birmingham City were the only club England who didn't win a match during the reign of a pope. I think it's true.....

remembercolinlee likes this.
  13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Unusual rule of blame @PleaseNotPoll apply ...

Although they are not the best team in Germany this season they are certainly not the wurst <sorry>

Was at our local sports club with my mate from Germany when a bloke came over and asked if he was s pole volter. "No," he replied "I'm German but how did you know my name was Volter?" SO SO <sorry>

We will go with are developing strategy of playing ...

A keeper who can not kick
    A can't be sold LB, a won't sign a contract CD, a wants a new contract CD, A brainless twat at RB
    Just signed a new contract, hated by @Dier Hard , Anywhere but here please, hasn't been injured for 3 weeks
    Record signing
    One of our own

The game plan is to score first, then either...
    1) get a second then implode
    2) just implode
    3) get a red card and then implode

This trusted strategy has worked a treat since April so hopefully Pochettino doesn't change things too much.

We last played Bayern Munich in the 1980s...when Barcelona were clogging thugs that turned up at WHL and proceded to kick lumps out of us...Inventors of the beautiful game my arse <grr>

On the negative side TBH the chances of us winning this are as slim are Aurier making a good a good decision <whistle>

On the positive side there strong rumours that Aurier is unavailable to play as he has been sent to Oz to ask the scarecrow for a loan of his brain :bandit:

After we decide not to go ahead with the loan of the Liverpool reject from the original Spanish Wimbledon it will be sods law that he plays a blinder so it might be worth playing Aurier and letting him cut the Ford Cortina in two on the way yo his inevitable red card.

I am not going to this one so me and my daughter's have booked our place behind the nearest sofa and have the prayer beads on standby.

Finally ... one very little know fact...
    Most Germans can jump high than a chair....

Cos chairs can't jump!

#gettingmecoat

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  14. "Thanks for that Brian"

Any chance of getting Eriksen a loan of the tin man's heart and the cowardly lion's courage for the rest of them?

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Poch Pre match conference

please log in to view this image

16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Given my lord and master supports them (and AFAIK is a qualified football coach) ...

17. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

What I'm really hoping is that Spurs string some wins together and make the new place a fortress...not that I'm predicting that will happen. COYS!

18. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

What is the record at the new stadium?

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The morons are out in force already...

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yup

ive been reading Spurs fans...not on here...saying its not a "must win" its a "must not lose". I disagree...big clubs dont hope for draws at home...thats what we have been wanting to be therefore we need to stop thinking to the contrary...it jst lets the players off the hook.

yeah...will take a draw..but not before a ball is kicked

Fans need to decide what kind of Spurs they want us to be

Hopw we go for them like we are more than capable of

redwhiteandermblue likes this.