1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Barnsley

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 18, 2017.

1. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

Strongest team needed until we're comfortable at Wembley which we clearly are not.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised tbh. The 'wembley' effect is making fans not want to go.

3. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I think the days when we silly Spurs fans would turn up for Barnsley in our umpteen thousands are gone.Only 23,000 fanatics! Only 23,000 fanatics.
    How much did it cost a Spurs fan in travel and match tickets and food and drink for all 3 home games,I wonder?

It was a trip in a lifetime for Cleethorpes and South Shields with the sites of London thrown in.The towns must have been empty for the day!

The Changing Man likes this.
  4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Just back from the game, via a curry house.

The Good:
    I went in Club Wembley for £15 and £5 for my daughter. It's very nice but not for the likes of me.
    The toilets have marble sink tops and the food tastes nice and there was no waiting for anything - as there was nobody there..
    I literally bumped into Martin Chivers, walking with John Pratt and Cliff Jones.
    The seats are padded and have extra leg room and cup holders.
    We walked straight to Wembley Park and got on a train after the 'game'.

The bad:
    We were the only people there other than RCL and the Barnsley fans.

The Ugly:
    Everything that happened on the pitch. Genuinely, I would rather have lost than sat through half an hour of extra time of that.

5. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Your a fanatic Brian......I'm too old now!!!!!!! Shame you both had to go through that.I hope the players are sorry for not "performing"!

6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

After beating Dortmund, we need our best team out in the CL, as there's now a much better chance of us qualifying. Start as strong as possible, then make changes during the game, IMO.

PleaseNotPoll and deedub93 like this.
  7. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Only 38,000 (stadium less than half full) for possibly the biggest game in either clubs history! That is surely more disappointing than an average crowd for a home tie v lower league opposition in the smalllest of the 4 competitions we are competing in.

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I was there too but most of the rest is accurate.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. PowerSpurs

I reckon about 3,000 were Barnsley fans.

I've got a different reason for the low attendance. There are probably about 100,000 Spurs fans in England who might attend a game. So 50,000 have rarely got to games before. Now there is capacity for all of them but they can't afford to go to every match. A lot of the season ticket holders are locals and now have an hours trip to the match. That is quite offputting and may be impossible on midweek dates. I reckon we will get 65k for all the league matches and less for most of the cup ones. We will sell out about five times, hopefully starting with Real Madrid.

10. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

There is only a certain number of games I can justify flying back for. Obviously all the CL games plus Woolwich, City and United and, if I manage to get tickets, cup semis and finals. If I still lived in England I would be able to go more often. I used to go to to youth cup games when they were at the Lane to build up the loyalty points, but still never had enough to go to the NLD but this year I will definitely be there

11. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

upload_2017-9-20_9-15-15.jpeg

12. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

B&W did you get the PM that I sent you re the season ticket? Sorry to use this thread but I think there may be an issue with the PM's.

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  14. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

It does start to feel like here we go again. Another prolific scorer cured of the habit by pulling on our shirt.

15. 'The toilets have marble sink tops and the foodtastes nice'

I know we're out of our depth as humble Spurs fans, but I don't think you're meant to eat off those sink tops, mate! <laugh>

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Setting the new stadium's capacity at 61,559 [I looked it up] won't have been by accident. That number must represent the number that we expect to be able to sell out for most games. The Swansea attendance would suggest the numbers are about right if pricing is realistic.

My reasons for going last night:

I love my club and didn't want the place to be more empty than it was, if I had the night spare. These things matter;
    I wanted to see KWP, Foyth, Llorente and other players that I've not seen before/only for a few minutes;
    It's live football and that's always worth attending, especially for a competitive game. One of my brothers used to travel to the pre-season tours;
    I fancied the Club Wembley experience.
    It was cheap as am I.

17. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

<laugh>... you can take the boy out of Tottenham....

18. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I think 60-65,000 is a realistic ballpark figure for filling the new stadium, and I don't think we'll struggle to do so for at least the first year or two while it's still a novelty for people (and will be a big tourist attraction in London).

West Ham and City's struggles to fill their shiny new stadiums are indicative of the need to move when the time is right. Neither club had or even have particularly massive fanbases, albeit City's decent run of trophies since have helped.

Timing is of the essence. If we'd moved any time between 2013-2016, I doubt we'd be able to fill it. Fast forward 2 seasons of brilliant football and the chances have drastically increased.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Last night demonstrated the obvious flaw our squad still has: if Eriksen isn't playing or is having an off day the slump in our creativity can be genuinely worrying - because we have a dearth of players who can move the ball quickly.

As it stands the only players in the squad who can switch from defence to attack with a single pass are Eriksen, Toby and Winks, and coincidentally two of those three didn't play last night while Winks was having his first start of the season. There's reasons why we've been crying out for a Modric-like player for five years now, because as various games for the past couple of seasons have shown we can become very predictable when we don't have pace from our full/wing backs.

20. PowerSpurs

Does anyone know if the season tickets included last night's game or if you had to pay extra?