1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v AS Monaco

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 21, 2016.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I know we can't really afford to rest players tonight but I still would. Risking Dembele and Kane's long term fitness just isn't worth it.

I'd pack the midfield with energetic players that haven't played too much and hope for the best.

Lloris
    Trippier, Dier, Wimmer, Rose
    Wanyama
    Sissoko, Alli, GKN/Onomah
    Janssen, Son

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

You're very charitable.
    I would have gone for plastic bags full of bubonic plague carried by drones exploding
    over the place after Spurs personnel/supporters are gone.

3. The RDBD

The Monaco game is must win. Chelsky is must not lose.
    With that in mind I would choose the two line-ups accordingly :
    one very attacking and one more conservative.

4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Replay Wink's goal in your HD memory.

RobSpur likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Defoe would've scored that first time and we wouldn't have needed a rebound. Delighted for young Harry but Janssen had more time than he thought he did and ended up kicking it straight at Randolph.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Completely forgot about Sissoko's availability (which doesn't say much! <laugh>) but coming to think of it, I think he's far better if played centrally. He doesn't have the ideal attributes to be winger for a Prem club, he's quick but not "I'll leave you in my dust" quick, he can't really cross sufficiently and he's not someone with exceptional dribbling skills... But what he does have is an engine, quick enough to burst from CM and has the power to be a real handful for people facing him head-on when he's in full steam - Somewhat Yaya-esque but nowhere near that level of course. I wouldn't mind seeing him start alongside Wanyama for a couple games with Dembele pushed forward into Eriksen's place. A lot of power in those central positions, seeing as we're lacking in creativity at the moment, perhaps just sheer bullying sides could work.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I thought he did that pretty well. As Rose made space he hung back and demanded the ball. He took what was a difficult ball down well and belted it, first time, on target with his left foot. I thought it was a bloody good save and it brought a goal in any event. Given how poor we were generally and the terrible service into Kane and Janssen until Son and Dele Alli came on, I'm not reading too much into Saturday. He does have to make sure any pass to him stays with him. He's been pulled up a lot for being over physical. Maybe come to the ball a bit more, just enough to stop defenders going round him to the ball. He can be a bit static. All he needs to do is claim the ball and lay it off or draw the foul. Then a lot of his game relies upon getting some service. This has been a large part of our failing to score enough this season.

It was nice to see Son hit the bye line and pull the ball back for our second. Also Rose's ball in for Dier's header. I know not everyone on here agrees but crossing need not be a dirty word. It needs work on where the ball should go and getting players flooding into the right areas at the right times but sides who set up with a back 5 aren't going to let us go through the centre. We need to exploit our wide players and draw these defences out. Erikssen was particularly bad at giving the ball to Janssen when he was surrounded by defenders. I hope it will settle down for him. I'd like to see Sissoko offer something meaningful against Monaco. He's going home and should want to show what he can do. At present, I am more worried about him than Janssen. He's older, much more experienced generally and in the PL and has a history of being 'flaky'. Janssen's going to try his guts out no matter what. That should see him alright in the end like it's doing for Lamela. Also, as a young player, there's a fair chance we'll get most of what we spent back off the Spammers or a German team. Getting our money back for Sissoko may prove more troubling if he proves not to have it in him to succeed at Spurs. He just needs to show something positive and it will come. I hope.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Now i didn't watch the match and he might have been shocking, but he got the "assist" for his shot against randolph that winks tapped in :p

edit: just seen people have wrote this <doh>

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What do you want Spurs/Stoke <yikes> We have toughened up considerably under MP but the P is for Pochettino not Pullis.

Dier Hard likes this.
  10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm not saying I want red cards every game, Spurf!!! <laugh>

I'm kind of liking our toughened up Spurs side though, it's a far cry from the soft touches we used to be a few years back. Although admittedly at times this season we've played a little naff (mainly thanks to our creative players being uncreative), overall we're still a good team to watch when in full throttle and the added toughness is a massive bonus.

The RDBD likes this.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You're right we did need to be a little tougher and we are. If our attack was as solid as our defence we would win the league at a canter. Delli and Erikson need to step up especially Erikson. The exciting thing is we know we have a decent run coming at some point in the season and we haven't had it yet but despite that we are still just 4 points off the top.

Dier Hard and audrey.s.thackeray like this.
  12. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

Wanyama, dembele and sissoko's too heavy for me.

13. The RDBD

I would like us to be like the great Richie McCaw in rugby at the breakdown.
    Always pushed the envelope on the legality of his actions, but never stupid or
    dirty enough to get sin-binned or sent off.

14. Citizen Kane

The benefits of going for a meteorite is that the aftershocks/dust cloud should take out Westfield a few seconds later, which will vicariously serve to give my bank balance a far more robust appearance.

15. Citizen Kane

I agree - I'd rather start with GKN over Sissoko as I think he'll give them more to think about and will get us on the front foot from the off. Also has the advantage of having played against them over the past 3 seasons, so knows their players far better than anyone else we have outfield. I just don't think Poch fully trusts him for such a big occasion whereas Sissoko is still being carried on the crest of a 'big game' wave largely concocted by the media following some excellent running in a perfectly straight line for France.

Truth be told, if it comes down to Eriksen or Sissoko I'd still prefer the latter as he at least has the ability to mix it in with his strength and power. The former seems to be aiming to break the world record for tackles pulled out of in one season, which is a real shame.

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Agree with this.
    Some of the potential team selections that have been posted would be my choice too. However I wouldn't start Sissoko. He's not done anything convincing thus far and not the sort of player we can rely on to help get us a result. - and we really need a win tonight. For me, Sissoko should be brought on at a sensible time if we're winning, to give someone else a rest that we need for the Chelsea game.
    We need to be doing all we can tonight to prevent ourselves from dropping into the ropey league. Starting Sissoko would not be helping our cause, IMO.

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I just have a feeling that this is just sort of game Sissoko will raise his game for. Plus it's more or less in France which will make him want to shine even more. Same applies to Nkoudo so perhaps this pair should feature. Like all sports much of it is in the head, get that right and the rest is easy.

18. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Pochettino says he may not risk Kane, Dembele and Alli, which might leave us with
    Trippier Dier Vertonghen Rose
    Wanyama Winks
    Son Eriksen Sissoko
    Janssen

Of course, we might try three at the back, swap Eriksen and Sissoko, or possibly even bring in GKN. I tend to think it will be Trippier and not Walker. Pochettino also implied he might bring in any or all of the questionable players as late subs.

COYS!

19. Citizen Kane

Bayer are 1-0 up in Moscow. Not good.

20. The RDBD

We have to win regardless.
    No point in worrying about which of the other two are top of the group after tonight.