1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 29, 2022.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Are you saying that Hojbjerg can be compared to prime Kante?

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Yes, I need a manager to suit my views that they
    should not be dogmatic (formations, squad rotation etc) .

And if a Spurs manager finally show this, Levy
    tends to think that he needs a new manager too.

Diego likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was wondering which game this was, because I couldn't remember it.
    It was the 1-0 at Wembley when you got absolutely battered and Cech got MOTM.
    Taylor gave us **** all and fell for every one of your dives, including one in the 95th minute of 94.

He did everything that he could to try and give you something and it still didn't work.
    Cack Wheelchair gave you your only shot on target in about the 80th minute, IIRC.
    You were absolutely pathetic. That's according to you:
    https://www.not606.com/threads/tottenham-hotspur-v-arsenal.358176/page-14#post-11440132

4. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't remember the game for any awful refereeing decisions apart from Xhaka putting in an awful tackle on someone (Kane?) and getting lucky to not get a red. I was too upset with how crap we were to focus on Anthony Taylor. And the game was 4 and a half years ago, with a totally forgettable performance, so I'm sure I can be excused for not recalling every minute detail of this fixture.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I'm not entering the discussion overall...but that game at Wembley in 2019 stands out as one of the most ridiculous officiating performances that I've seen in over 50 years of watching football. It comes in third after the UEFA Cup game against Barcelona and that game away at Stoke when Kaboul got sent off. .

7. humanbeingincroydon

Typical, my afternoon was ruined by somebody going for a walk on the railway lines at Finsbury Park

Not to be confused with Saturday, where my afternoon was ruined by wishing Anthony Taylor went for a walk on the railway lines at Finsbury Park...

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

That Stoke game still pisses me off! <laugh> ****ing corrupt cyclist.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I know....Harry was furious about it...and rightly so.

10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

That’s the only big decision I remember him getting wrong. I’m sure you will probably have more, but as I said, it’s not a game I really wanted to live long in my memory.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Spence’s sister seemingly threw a bit of shade at Conte by responding to the defeat on Instagram by saying “could’ve been different”.

It’s petty… but she probably has a point.

12. humanbeingincroydon

If what FootballDotLondon said about him wanting to play 352 but refusing to when Bissouma came back from the international break with a knock, even though Sarr and White were available, that's where criticism for dogmatism lingers

13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I was laughing because this was a game you were using to show he wasn't biased.
    Apart from a blatant red card which he failed to produce, of course! <laugh>

I checked your loss against Stoke, too. He gave you a very dodgy penalty.
    Chambers then managed to put someone in a headlock and get sent off. ****ing idiot! <laugh>
    Hard work for even the most one-eyed official when you concede after 20 seconds:

Chalked off a goal to make it 4-0 which looked fine, then the dubious pen a minute later.
    I don't think I'll bother with the City, Liverpool, etc. ones, as he's not a miracle worker.

14. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Again, failing to produce a red card doesn’t mean it’s bias. It can mean he made an error - which referees do. Look at how many red card decisions referees have gotten wrong (either for giving them or not giving them). It’s incompetence, sure, but bias? It’s not easy to prove that. IIRC, the Xhaka challenge on Kane was like a scissor challenge and, had VAR been around back then, the likelihood is Anthony Taylor would have sent him off upon review/recommendation.

Again, some of these decisions were made pre-VAR. I’m not going to say VAR would have definitely intervened on the ref’s behalf, because we’ve seen clearly how it’s currently used is inherently flawed, but it would have (in theory) aided the on-field official with some of these decisions.

While we’re talking about that game, Charlie Adam was extremely fortunate to not get sent off for his challenge(s) on Alexis Sanchez, including grabbing him by the throat and shoving him to the ground. Dirty player who got away with a lot of poor challenges against us.

I’m not going to assume because of this that the referee had it in for us, though. It was likely he was just **** at his job. Which is the frequently the case.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Yes, but these are in the very few games that you've lost under his officialdom.
    He's still making various big decisions in your favour, just not enough to prevent the loss.
    He's blatantly biased towards you, whether he knows it or not.

As for Charlie Adam, you probably know how we feel about him on here.
    Should've been sent off virtually every time that we played against him, including friendlies.
    Ironically did get one red while playing for Liverpool in a 4-0 loss. Also got one for Stoke, IIRC.
    This wasn't a foul though, apparently:
    please log in to view this image

The Changing Man likes this.
  16. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

We’re going round in circles here so let’s just cut to the chase.

My question to you is - what is it you want done about this? Further investigation? Psychological assessment? Unconscious bias training? Banned from officiating any Arsenal match again?

And what about other teams who get disproportionately stronger results under other referees? Do we do a deep dive and forensic analysis of every one of these games too?

I just don’t see what a practical solution is here that will be realistically implemented.

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Banned from the Premier League. He can do a swap with the VAR bloke and piss off to Oz.

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Kevin Campbell, of all people, questions Arsenal's Anthony Taylor's inconsistency:
    https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/1...or-inconsistency-between-everton-and-arsenal/

“Now, if he’d have just got a yellow I don’t think anyone would have moaned, if I’m honest."
    This is apparently fine, though:

Dermot Gallagher gives the game away by pre-empting the question:

Bent. As. ****.