1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 10, 2022.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Thursday 12th May 7.45pm
    Premier League
    Tottenham Hotspur Stadium​

Doherty, Tanganga and Skipp still out, but no injury updates yet.

Lineups for each side's last league game:

Spurs: Lloris; Romero, Dier, Davies; Royal, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon; Kulusevski, Kane, Son.
    Subs: Gollini, Rodon, Sanchez, Craig, White, Winks, Moura, Bergwijn, Scarlett.
    League form: WWLDWD.

Arsenal: Ramsdale; Soares, Holding, Gabriel, Tomiyasu; Elneny; Saka, Xhaka, Odegaard, Martinelli; Nketiah.
    Subs: Leno, Swanson, Tavares, Patino, Oulad M'Hand, Lokonga, Smith-Rowe, Pepe, Lacazette.
    League form: LLLWWW.

Ref: Paul "8% win rate" Kieran's dad Tierney. VAR: Mike "Look At Me!" Dean.

TV: Sky Sports.

How would you like to line up for this one?

SpursDisciple and Tilly'sowner like this.
  2. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I really thought we were in with a chance of beating Liverpool, and I was laughed at but we were so close.

I don’t ever have any confidence when we play Arsenal!

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

NLD's are usually quite predictable in that the home team usually wins but this is tough to call. With the exception of the Chelsea and United games I think THFC have looked strong at home to top half opposition.

For Arsenal it's another litmus test, there's a real togetherness and good team spirit there at the moment but it's been a long time since they've really been tested away from home.

4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Biggest NLD in ages, I hate this game because it makes me so nervous.

Truth be told I think we’re in a similar spot to Poch’s first season. The tactics are different but the issues are the same. When teams come at us and play, we looks dangerous (in the past due to the high press, now because of the defensive structure Conte has in place) but anyone who sits in is going to frustrate us. In either case we rely on quick transitions as our main source of creativity.

The solutions obviously lie in the same place - the development or acquisition of more creative midfielders and better use of width to stretch the game in possession. But this is to say that I think, at least on a tactical basis, I think Arsenal don’t necessarily have the defensive solidity to sit against us, especially as they’re missing important defensive players. That might play into our hands.

On the other hand they have recovered their form and have beaten some big teams since their blip. They’ll be fired up for this and know that a win, or probably even a draw, makes it very difficult for us to overhaul them for 4th. I feel like in recent years they’ve looked more up for these games than we have, which is unforgivable, so I hope Conte and the senior players get the lads well and truly up for this one. I think we can beat them if we keep our heads at the back and match their intensity.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Heading back for this, should be in London for about 2 or 3pm.

Buzzing.

Players better turn up for it. Don’t think we’ll overtake Arsenal but I want them sweating til the final minute of matchday 38.

Hoping the atmosphere will be electric.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Can only really watch the NLD if I am there or in a pub with a mate.
    Makes me feel sick.
    It's why I laugh at the idea that West Ham and Chelsea are almost as big a rivalry...nothing matches the build up, the game or the joy of winning or the gut wrenching ball crushing pain of losing of a NLD for me.

Can't get a ticket, me spurs mates ain't around and Mrs RCL is working away so it's a night of going for a long long walk for me <yikes>

7. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

CK's Undersea Cave will be open from noon on Thursday.

We have a special two-for-one offer on sour grapes and the humble pie is to die for although the ends tend to collapse and sink a bit as time passes.

Depending on the result, the cave may well remain open until mid-August. Patrons are welcome to lie low for as long as necessary.

We've installed the fibreoptic cable, so deep sea zoom meetings are now possible <ok>

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

^^ this to a tee.

Always laugh when Chelsea or West Ham fans try claiming they’re our cup final.

Arsenal are and will always be ours, as we are theirs.

I love everything about the NLD… well, except the losses.

9. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Was listening to the Gold and Guest podcast today and Rob Guest asked Ally if he looked forward to the nld.
    Ally echoed what most of us feel, dread nervousness and wishing it was over already.
    I want to watch at the same time can't due to the impending letdown!

10. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Even with personal memories of the '71 defeat, I think I almost dislike the games more now, as for the past few years we have been supposedly the stronger team after decades of ignomy. Expectations have been higher as a result and the disappointments greater. (Just think how great it felt getting a 4 all draw in the last minute even with David ****ing Bentley on the pitch, or the 3-2 win in 2010!)
    We seemed to turn a corner from there with Wenger's decline, but for the first time in ages, Goons have the edge :emoticon-0106-cryin
    Just wish the outcome of tomorrows game wasn't so important...

11. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Same as we have been, and trusting that serious drill
    session time has been put in for overcoming Brighton-ball
    (should them lot wanna try that on) .

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Christ, can the Twitter crowd leave their "Don't eat, don't drink, don't chat, yell for 90 minutes" drivel in the 70s where it belongs?

13. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

Spurs admin are giving it the biggun!!!<applause><laugh>

I tell you what.... we better fookin’ win!!! <laugh>

14. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Urgh. Cringe.

I’m surprisingly calm today. After the Nuno shambles at the start of the season, I never thought we’d a) have Conte in charge, and b) have an EL spot in the bag.
    I think I’m the only one, but I’m going into this NLD tonight feeling way less worried about the result. Obviously we all hate losing to this lot, but it’s still out of our hands even if we beat them.
    I just wanna see us turn up and play well. No calamitous mistakes and no stupid sendings off. Other than Xhaka, obviously.
    What will be, will be. COYS

crackerman jack likes this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So most of my adult life I was used to having a 15 minute walk to the Lane, whether that be from my flat or local pub.

Now I’m up at 8, to get the 9 o’clock train in a three hour journey to Waterloo to then get more trains to a travelodge in Enfield to drop my bag off to then go back into Tottenham for a football match to then go back to Enfield for the night to then leave Enfield in the morning to get trains to Waterloo for a 3 hour journey back to Devon…

Tottenham Hotspur… you continue to rinse my wallet and time. You better ****ing win!

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You ready lads and of course Maggie?

Subconscious tension…I can feel it…I had to stick FIFA on last night to help me relax

If they’re not motivated to smash the Goonz tonight with all at stake then they don’t don’t earn the love

This means everything to us fans

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Tonight, I'm going into Valencia tonight to watch the game with my younger brother and my cousin ( a gooner). Yesterday I was talking to my aunt and told her that we were all watching the game in his local...

"Good luck with that" was all she would say...

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

This is not much different to April 2010 :

- 4th place is at stake

- A win in a home NLD is a must.

- Some results not in Spurs control must go a certain way,
    but if such results occur Spurs must strike decisively

The test today is the mentality of the squad, and whether
    Conte puts dogma above pragma even with such high stakes.
    Time will tell ...

19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I think the result will affect mentality going into the last few games…we really need to break some hearts tonight

not our own though

20. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I cannot bear the idea of them sealing CL football at our expense in our own back yard.

It would be up there albeit not nearly as bad as when they won the title at WHL. That was horrendous.