1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 24, 2021.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Rather than go 343 I think a better choice would be the 3421 that Poch was using in 2016-17
    Lloris; Tanganga, Romero, Sanchez; Emerson, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Reguilon; Lo Celso, Son; Kane

While I don't think that midfield pairing will sit on teams like Wanyama/Dembele were in that system, one thing that is pretty clear at the moment that playing 433 is leaving a gap between midfield and attack that players are trying to fill for themselves, either Kane dropping deep in most games or Ndombele & Alli rushing up the pitch on Sunday

On the other hand when we played 4321 against Chelsea Lo Celso was linking up midfield and attack well in the first half while also creating a bit of space for Hojbjerg and Skipp to pass or run into, which Dele and Ndombele could similarly do, although the fact we had Kane alongside him and Son up top in that match was just...no

While there is a call to go back to 4231, and we clearly have the personnel for it, I can't recall Nuno using that formation at any of his previous clubs - or, as I am starting to wonder, if he's being leaned on to play 433 given Wolves played 532

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Switch out Lo Celso for Gil and I wouldn’t mind seeing that formation given a go now. Seeing as Bale went back we don’t have any solid wingers/ wide forwards other than Son and he’s more than capable of playing more centrally with Kane. Gil’s flair and work rate gives me David Silva vibes and backed up by Hojbjerg and Skipp with Reguilon and Emerson getting up and down, I think he could excel behind the front two as the link man.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  3. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

For me the 343 and the 3421 are functionally similar, I’d just be against playing an AM in the 2. He wants to play with a 10 then IMO he plays 4231. In 343 Lucas and Gil look like they’re both capable of dropping in a bit and connecting the midfield and attack while still functioning as wingers first and foremost, with Son further advanced and dropping less.

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

We did use Gil centrally against Pacos, as an AM in the first leg and a CM in the second

Wow, something vaguely memorable happened in the first leg after all!

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Whatever formation we do go with going forward, I think Gil just has to be in the XI. So many others have had more than enough chances to nail down places and failed to do so, it’s now time to invest in youth if we’re serious about this rebuild. We’re already seeing results with Skipp and Tanganga (minus his red card) and whilst both still have a way to go, the signs are promising and I think Gil needs to join them.

When you think that Lucas has nearly had 4 years. Ndombele and Lo Celso have had over 2 years. Bergwijn is coming up to 2 years. None have nailed down a position or had consistent form to warrant them getting more chances in the XI over someone fresh like Gil, and in the bits we’ve seen of the young lad you get the feeling he’ll be a star. Been one of the very small rays of sunshine so far for us.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

If he is re-hired i swear to god that new whl burns that very night...

Just saying like...

7. humanbeingincroydon

The worst thing about LAdPCeV-B is the players were overly-coached to the point we probably could have played Soldado in goal and Lloris on the right wing, that's how interchangeable he made the squad

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not saying 2 + 2 = 4, but new WHL did have that fire incident the
    other week which the systems seemed to handle adequately ...

< Levy one move ahead >

9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Well Watford have saved Nuno the ignominy of being the first one sacked <whistle>

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watford to sack their manager first was basically bet rigging.

11. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Statistically by 2035 1 in 3 British adults will have managed Watford FC

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<ok>