1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Perhaps I had my eyes shut at this point in the game <laugh>

Spur of the Moment and Dier Hard like this.
  2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I dashed my phone on their third goal, broke my case and smashed my screen protector, thankfully the phone itself was unharmed!

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I hope you were substituted after such a poor performance :1980_boogie_down:

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

100% agree. Especially with emergy changing things. Emery is the master at alterations (**** at setting you up it seems). If matches ended in first half arsenal would be 18th right now. As it is you are 4th.

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

1. Agreed goals dont mean performance. But surely you make changes when the performance has been bad? Despite being 2 1 up you boys had taken quite a battering in the first half.

3. See post above about arsenals first half stats v second half stats.

4. If 45 mins doesnt tell you enough in a "short period" of time. Surely 60 and 70 are also not enough too.

6. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

12 points given up= 4games asleep. WAKEY WAAAKKKEEEYYY! Make or break the next match,maybe!!!!?

7. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Can we ask the mods for a fek off button?<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

Now that the dust has settled I can look a this result with a bit more perspective. Last year we had a very similar result, a 2-0 loss and Arsenal were the better team. We still ended up finishing above them in the league.
    We were as poor as Chelsea were last week and they aren't a bad team overnight. It's important we get 3 points tomorrow night and move on from this. We certainly don't want to be behind Arsenal on points by end of Wednesday evening.
    We have so many matches coming up this month and most teams will drop points. As has been mentioned, we rarely win at the Emirates and if we beat them at Wembley/WHL it won't look so bad. Better to both win a match than 2 draws for both teams!
    It's going to be an interesting month with hopefully more highs than lows!

9. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

A couple of days since our loss and the reaction by Goon fans has been so over the top. Talk of them being back to their best, how they're back in contention again etc etc. Nothing like getting carried away after one decent result against possibly our worst defensive display all season.

Still, it shows just how far we have come and how highly they regard us nowadays, that they go mental when they beat us at home. Of course, they'll never admit that.

Let's see what the reverse fixture brings and whether they can maintain their run. I'd like to think the usual January/February dip will still happen. It's in their DNA, plus they have some big games to come whilst we have played a shed load of away games already.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They've played nearly twice as many home games as we have and 3 of our 5 were City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

11. bigsmithy9

Every dog has it's day. Arsenal had theirs Sunday!

12. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

3) I agree with your comment above. If Emery is going to be given credit for changing things at half time then he also has to take responsibility for the crap first half performances. But I can't imagine what combination of skills and weaknesses the guy must have to purposefully get nearly the worst first half outcome in the division while simultaneously getting the best second half outcome. So I'm sticking to my theory that 14 matches is too short a period to draw any conclusions.
    4) The point about 60 and 70 minute substitutions is that they are not to replace underperforming players, they are to replace those who are tiring. There is obviously going to be an optimal time for that. See https://angryofislington.com/2012/11/13/statistically-whats-the-best-time-to-make-substitutions/

13. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Whoa there! I think you're missing the point by talking so much sense. I have in fact discovered from the FB group Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur that the main point of being a fan is that you can direct your complaints, whingeing and blame against your chosen team, biding your time while things to well in order to point out after the eventual defeat that you were right all along and it's always going to be like this. Well yes it is, eventually we are going to lose and we will do so again one day. So having worked out it's pointless trying to debate with those so-called supporters on FB I'm going to leave that group and just enjoy the far more sophisticated banter you get here.

Edit: and your point about managers needing substitutions is very well made. Last season we got so much crap about what a tactical genius the Juve manager was with his subs. Well if he was such a genius his team wouldn't have been outplayed for pretty much both of those matches would he? And he wouldn't need those substitutes to work would he? Sometimes subs work and sometimes they don't, but there's no point praising working substitutions as if they are some kind of genius is there.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  14. bigsmithy9

What is it in Spurs makeup that when we are near the top we manage to screw up while one or two others do not?

How does that song go?...."They lead us on and then they run away...……"

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

They have better players than us!

16. bigsmithy9

I think it's in their minds. How many times has our team "not turned up?"

17. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Alot less times than they did the 80s and 90s