1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v APOEL Nicosia

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 25, 2017.

1. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying but I was thinking the big two don't use an old fashioned centre forward.

Diego likes this.
  2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Kane is more than that though.

He can play as a 9 or 10, his movement is brilliant.

Imagine him playing alongside Messi or Ronaldo. I certainly think he wouldn't disgrace himself.

D.G.C. likes this.
  3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

He might struggle to get the ball though:emoticon-0142-happy

Kane is a one -off.
    It's hard to compare him to other top strikers in the PL, as he's different.
    In Europe. Lewandowski might be the nearest - strong, good movement, powerful shot, clinical finisher, prepared to come deep or wide to receive the ball and not afraid to shoot from distance.
    Lukaku and Costa rely on the creativity of others, look to get in the six yard box often and use strength and size to get to the ball first.
    Aguero uses his pace and movement to find space in the box, but usually relies on somebody (Silva) finding him with a good pass. His first touch and quick feet make up for a lack of height and strength.
    Vardy looks for the ball over the top and to run in behind defenders.
    Liverpool's forwards are a combination of Aguero and Vardy, relying either on a quick interchange of passes in and around the box or Sane running beyond defenders.
    Kane doesn't appear to have any single, stand out attribute like these players, but he scores all types of goals and so many of them are all his own work.
    As I posted earlier, if I was to make a comparison with a (former) PL striker, it would be Shearer. Many of his goals are Shearer-esque.

4. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Harry Kane will not be considered as a world class striker by the British media until he

1 plays for Man Utd
    2 scores the winning goal in the 1966 world cup final
    3 finds a cure for cancer

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm sticking with my ancient assessment of him as a mixture of Shearer and Sheringham.
    At the time I added a disclaimer about only comparing him in style, but not quality. You can forget that bit now.

He's got the poacher's instinct and ability, scores all kinds of goals and is happy to engage in physical battles all day. That's Shearer.
    On top of that, he's also happy to drop deep, link up play, pick out passes and out-think his opponent. That's Sheringham.
    He doesn't have blistering pace and he's not a showpony. That's both of them, especially after Shearer's injury.
    The only way to deal with him now is to cut out the supply line, as far as I can see. He's lethal.

Roo and Citizen Kane like this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Also, just in case anyone fancies catching up with the other games:

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Even though they lost, Dortmund created quite a few
    decent chances against Madrid. They are far from
    being dead and buried.

D.G.C. and remembercolinlee like this.
  8. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

The Shearer/Sheringham combo is definitely the most accurate.

Can't believe I'm saying this but he's better than the pair of them.

It's a staggering unbelievable rise to the top.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Kane has the distinction IMO of making most of his goals look easy. The fact that you include Shearer AND Sherringham says to me that he doesn't quite look like either just a sort of combination of the two. That's fair enough because he is of course most like Kane and not just a clone of the former two. However for me the characteristic that stands out in Kane is the ease with which he scores his goals and that suggests his most telling skill is being in the right place at the right time. This is the skill he shares with Jimmy Greaves. Greaves was so good at this that some people missed this aspect of his play and described him as lazy. Kane does not look lazy but then the game, the surfaces, the equipment, and the physical condition of the men themselves are all very different from Greaves day.
    I just think it's possible that we have our new Jimmy Greaves and if we do we are extremely lucky and doubly so because Kane is a local lad with a real attachment to Spurs.
    Plus in Dele, a more capricious player, we have the new Gilzean, so riches indeed, but who will be our new Blanchflower and our new Mackay.

Sorry younger posters to move it back to the 60's but it was our finest hour .............................so far.

10. The RDBD

Nobody. He was one of a kind.

"and our new Mackay"

1. Nobody yet.

2. At the moment, is one needed (there seems to be a collective steel
    nowadays throughout most Spurs starting XIs rather than one person) ??

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Not least that penalty they won, only for the ref to remember the score was 0-0 so that was never going to be allowed.

12. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I see where you’re coming from, but you’re also presuming APOEL won’t get a point at all. They are good enough to pick up at least 1 point, which would change things massively.

13. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I was expecting Dortmund to either draw or bear Real going by their first half performance against us,but no such luck.Brilliant goal by Bale though.

14. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

I now think we can beat Dortmund a second time.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 6th December 7.45pm
    Champions League Group Stage
    Wembley Stadium​

Our winless run has continued with a disappointing draw at Vicarage Road and now we face something of an oddity.
    Had you claimed that we'd be going into this game with nothing to play for at the start of the campaign, then most people would've thought we'd be out.
    As it is, we've already won the group and Real Madrid have taken 2nd place, after Dortmund's very disappointing contribution.
    That does leave our visitors with a shot at Europa League football though, so it's not a total dead rubber.
    If the Cypriots better the German side's result in Madrid, then they'll go through into the knockout rounds.

Pochettino has already suggested that he sees this as an opportunity to rest and rotate players, but we still need to put in a good performance.
    Our confidence must've taken a bit of a knock with our recent results, so another poor one would not be welcome.
    Can a side made up of those out of favour, returning from injury and perhaps some youth players too do the business?
    We may have won 3-0 in Limassol, but the hosts gave us a real scare and the scoreline was flattering.
    They'll fancy this one and I expect them to come out fighting.

APOEL have won five of the last six games, having faltered badly earlier in the season, losing the other game 6-0 to Real Madrid.
    Can they maintain that form or will this be their last European game of the campaign?

Referee: TBC. Will edit later.

TV: BT Sport 3.

Who should start this match and who should be left out completely?
    Should we rotate heavily or just leave out a few players and try to get back to winning ways?
    Are there any youth players that you'd like to see included or should they try to win their U19 CL group?

16. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Resting players is surely more important than a token confidence-boost at this stage.

Gazza
    Aurier Foyth Jan Rose
    TAB Winks
    Sissoko Alli GKN
    Llorente

I'd swap KWP for Aurier but the latter looks miles off the pace and needs the minutes.

17. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

With all our defensive problems at the moment and the bad news on tobys injury setback I would definitely rest yan we can't afford to lose him as well

18. The RDBD

Time to see if Foyth has progressed beyond that
    Spanner League Cup 2nd half. I'd rather get him
    into the Christmas melee and Dier play his 2015-16
    DM role while Dembele is fragile and Wanyama is out.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  19. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I'd go with
    Gazza
    Foyth, Sanchez, Davies
    Aurier, Winks, Sissoko,Rose
    Son, Llorente, N'Koudou

Vorm, Walker-Peters, Georgiou, Oakley-Booth, Alli, Harrison & Poch Jnr!

Rocky blue army likes this.
  20. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Can Sanc
    Can Sanchez play?