1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Welcome back mate

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It seems so....

Some of the changes in the rules and how others are interpreted are beyond me. If they did something to make the game better, then I would understand but they seem to do the contrary. I guess it's the modern way...?

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's more about our fairly old school formation: 3-2-5 or some variation of it.
    I remember reading about it years ago and thinking WTF was that?

We're not really playing with fullbacks at the moment. The left-back is just another centre-half.
    I can see Mourinho switching that around at some point, playing Rose and using Moura on the right.
    Foyth can do a job at right-back in that situation or we can just play the same back three.

4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Where did you see the penalty call? There was what looked like an obvious handball and I've not seen either mentioned or in highlights.

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Goals on Sunday...that Chris Camara show on sky.
    Was in thefirst half where a Bournemouth player slid in and blocked the ball with his hand.
    No idea how it weren't seen as a penalty by VAR.

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Looked like a blatant one to me, from where I was sitting.
    I don't think that VAR even checked it, but the Sanchez handball suggests that there were some communication problems with it, again.
    The stadium announcer was acting like the goal stood, nothing came up on the screens about VAR, yet it was clearly and obviously disallowed.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Interesting link from the Spurs goals v Man Utd video, though it doesn't appear to work for me:

Just experimenting to see what happens if it's embedded elsewhere, but it looks like a Korean highlights video of the Bournemouth match.
    Quite sensible of the club to do that, if that's actually what it is. Title translates as Bournemouth Son Heung-Min and Korean fans.

8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The ball hit sanchez on the hand ... completely accident... but under the rules it was correct to rule it out but the decision about hand ball by the defender was completely wrong.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The Sanchez handball was definitely the right decision, although it clearly wasn't intentional.
    It's the same thing that happened in reverse when we played City.

The way it was dealt with was rather shambolic, though. Nobody seemed to know what the hell was going on.
    The VAR checks that are supposed to go up on the screens didn't happen and the ref just ran off.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Cheers. Took me a good week or two to get over the disappointment of Poch's sacking. But I think after a lot of soul-searching, it was the correct decision at the correct time. Ultimately we acted and pulled the trigger when top 4 was at the absolute knife's edge of no return. By my own admission, January and the summer will be crucial to our long-term success. But the nagging feeling I couldn't shake was: It's all well and good in theory, but in practise would the likes of Dybala and Bruno want to join a team languishing in mid table, apparently in emotional disarray and unable to pay the sort of wages that tend to cover up those problems?

And by my own arguments earlier this season, failure to qualify for the CL would've probably seen Kane, Alli and Son leave and Poch facing literally an entire root and branch rebuild - something we had neither the time nor the money to manage.

I'm reserving judgement on Mauree until season's end but will say that he hasn't put so much as a toe out of line thus far. He is saying all the right things and unless he is a very good actor (he is), does seem to have 'matured' as a result of the United and Chavs Mk II experiences.

11. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I think if we don't qualify for the CL for next season it will be the players fault,so they shouldn't complain!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Especially since we're playing the exact same tactics as we did under Poch, right down the the asymmetrical fullbacks and the changing shape between defence and attack - and the main difference is that certain players, Eriksen in particular, are making themselves available for the ball rather than hiding behind other players

13. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

A case of "Do or Dare!"

14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Steve Cook missed tonight's game against Palace after his wrist was fractured in this one... by a cross.
    Someone really smashed that one in there, didn't they? Probably the handball we didn't get.