1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur FC (U21) v Sunderland AFC (U21)– PL2 Play-off Final - Sunday 26th May - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, May 23, 2024.

?

Your Prediction:

Poll closed May 26, 2024.
  1. Home win

18.2%
  2. Away win

54.5%
  3. Draw - Spurs win on penalties

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Draw - Sunderland win on penalties

27.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

THFCvSAFC.GIF
    Sunderland U21s travel to the Spurs Stadium to face Tottenham Hotspur U21s in the PL2 Playoff Final.
    Last time out Sunderland beat Reading and Tottenham beat Chelsea.
    The young Black Cats came from 3-2 down to grab a 99th minute equaliser at Reading thanks to Ellis Taylor completing his hat-trick. Reading were reduced to 10 men in extra time and Sunderland's Trey Ogunsuyi converted in the 120th-minute to seal a dramatic win.
    Graeme Murty’s team has shown great resilience and cohesiveness throughout the season, and the frontman highlighted the squad's preparation all campaign.
    The Lads have recorded five wins in as many PL2 fixtures, coming from behind to take victory on four occasions, which shows the group's strong mentality, character and willingness to win.
    Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 with goals from Will Lankshear and Nile John. The young Spurs side had three nominations for PL2 player of the season with striker Will Lankshear winning the award. Spurs will be firm favourites having topped the league standings before the play-offs got underway,
    To set up this weekend’s finale, they’ve beaten Aston Villa in the round of 16, Liverpool in the quarter-finals and Chelsea in the semi-finals.
    Hotspur’s production line have seen several players from their academy go on to join Sunderland and feature in the first-team including Dennis Cirkin and Romain Mundle whilst Jack Clarke was a regular for Spurs U21s.

Graeme Murty:
    "I’ve got the take my hat off to Reading, I thought when we handled the 10 minutes after the second half, I thought we were going to accelerate away from them but they’re relentless, physically intense and imposing, They’re really good at what they do and there are some really good players. Our players have been in a test."
    "I've told the lads they get to choose how the story ends. You have to have resilience and resolve to play for this club and sometimes a pig-headed refusal to stay down can see you through."
    "This group of young man have grown beyond all recognition this year. They deserve a hell of a lot of credit. No matter what happens in the final. I'll be immensely proud."

Wayne Burnett :
    “The players have shown brilliant character and mentality at times this season and I think that any team that is going to have a chance to beat us will have to play very well. This team doesn’t know when it’s beaten, we’ve got a high work ethic and when you marry that with the qualities that we have, it can breed success. We’ve seen that with some of the performances that we’ve had and if we can hit the levels that we’ve hit for the majority of the campaign, it gives us a good opportunity to get a positive outcome.”

Expected Teams:

Sunderland:
    Richardson, Taylor © , Bell, Fieldson, Bainbridge, Middlemas, H.Jones, Tutierov, Kelly, Watson, Ogunsuyi.
    Substitutes: Chibueze, Lavery, Ryder, J. Jones, Chungh.

Tottenham:
    Gunter, Robson, Phillips, Cassanova, Akhamrich, Hall, Abbott, Divine, Soonsup-Bell, Lankshear, Santiago
    Substitutes: Keeley, Ashcroft, King, John, Ajayi

My two pence:
    Another excellent performance and a great fight back by this U21 team, they just don't give up. Ellis Taylor was outstanding considering what he must have been feeling after being released.
    Spurs will be a tough challenge but they are not invincible and we have the momentum.
    I've been to the old White Hart Lane but this will be my first visit to the new stadium.
    Bring it on

Live Stream:
    Live on SAFC Youtube from 14:30
    https://www.youtube.com/@SunderlandAFC

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

You're an absolute star mate, we're blessed to have you on here <cheers>

3. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Really tough game but a great test for the young lads. Looks like we’ll have hundreds of SAFC in attendance too <ok>

4. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Tough game but wouldn't write our lads off. Not sure how many of theirs have flown to Australia and back for that stupid game against the scum.but hopefully it was the full u21 squad <laugh>

Ha'way Murts and the boys. One last dance

<party>

5. LD19SAFC

Shame it kicks off at the same time as the championship play-off final <doh>

The Professor and RTB like this.
  6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

A lot more than at Reading
    My train is likely to be full of Southampton fans on their way to Wembley.

LD19SAFC likes this.
  7. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Probably no stream then as the PO is on Sky.

RTB likes this.
  8. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

Tough game this, Spurs have some exceptional talents and I think a couple would be in our first team squad. Can't bet against our lads though, the desire and will to win is superb. 2-2, SAFC win on pens.

9. LD19SAFC

You may well be right :emoticon-0149-no:

Bank holiday Sunday afternoon, there’s a good chance I’ll be in the boozer for the Leeds game <cheers>

Oliver's Army likes this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Gutted I can't make it, I just know we'll shock them with our support ...

... Ha'way the Lads.

And seriously, an open-topped bus if they win this thing, never mind what Roy Keane says <laugh>

11. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

Watson to be the match winner.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  12. LD19SAFC

Just looking at Spurs’ team in the semi final. They’ve got some serious talent. Great test for our lads!

Smug in Boots and RTB like this.
  13. mick65

mick65 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity what does the winner get? Is it promotion, or a trophy?
    If its promotion it seems harsh on Spurs that they've got to play all these knockout games, as they have already won the league.

Charley Farley and clockstander like this.
  14. safcfansofaraway

safcfansofaraway Well-Known Member

I envy you being there RTB, wish I was fit enough to go. It's the toughest challenge yet for our boys but they've shown incredible spirit and resilience so far. Really hope there is a stream available.
    Enjoy the day RTB, whatever the result, look forward to meeting up again next season. <cheers>

RTB and clockstander like this.
  15. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Like any final it’s all about who turns up on the day, form, star players, favourites means duck all.
    Give it a real go lads and no regrets at full time. Thanks RTB and enjoy the match HTL.

Essayyeffcee, clockstander and RTB like this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

We win the league trophy
    - no promotion as this is the top U21 league

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-2-explained

17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Another top class thread , so thanks again RTB <applause> really looking forward to this one. Hope the lads can make your day, it certainly wont be for the want of trying. This team has done so well to reach the final and fingers crossed we could even surprise Spurs. Play our game as we know we can, and it will be a cracker , 3-4 over the 90 will do , but no fears about extra time either, I would bring Chung on alongside Trey and Tom to finish them off, but Murty needs no advice from me thats for sure . <laugh> OaU.

samwise_new and RTB like this.
  18. Smug in Boots

Record the play-off final and watch it straight after our match ...

... or sooner if we're 5-0 down at half time.

That's what I'm doing, just means I'll have to keep off here, too many blabbermouths <laugh>

19. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

20. LD19SAFC

Bank holiday Sunday 3pm.. there’s a good chance I’m in the club half cut shouting Southampton on <doh>

Smug in Boots likes this.