1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

totesport lost it!

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by rudebwoy, Apr 29, 2015.

1. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

I have had an account with said firm for a few years, they got took over by bet Fred-now they have 'upgraded ' their site -they have removed all information regarding form, even a synopsis of races is absent, no results, they have removed guaranteed odds from lucky 15's etc, and when I went to the new in live football -no coverage of hull v liverpool -I've just tried to place some bets on my mobile, it's took 2 hrs -so bye totesport -

2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what happens when you sell even a small part of the "family silverware". Stupid godamn governments, stupid politicians. I was a very happy and satisfied customer of the Tote (think it was based in Wigan, if I'm not mistaken?). When the bookmaker took it over. with kind permission of the government, I quit. Piss on that. Madness.

3. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Betfred are actually very good. Probably the best company for prices. They are always top priced on horses I wanna back. Plus they don't ban you when you win:biggrin:

4. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Might be so but their website is absolute ****e!

5. King Shergar

The website on the app is pretty good. I rarely use it on the computer though :biggrin:

6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Trying to answer everybody here without quoting anyone...

Yes, the Horserace Totalisator Board (the Tote) do have their headquarters in Wigan. Bet Fred are not far down the road in Warrington and was started by the Done brothers. When you see/hear “Fred’s Pushes” that is one of the brothers.

I guess whether you are getting the best prices is totally subjective – it depends what you want to back! I have had trouble with them in the past with disappearing prices on horses just walking in the shops but I could say the same about most of the others.

Although I do not do them, in their shops they do tend to have lots of multiple bet offers that are better than some of the other big High Street Office companies but perhaps they are able to make more of a mark-up on such bets. I am surprised that they do not seem to offer the same guaranteed odds, etc. on their website as rudebwoy states because the online/mobile sector is the growth area of the bookmaking business (i.e. the most competitive) so it makes no sense not to compete with the others for market share – especially when you are splashing money on TV advertising to promote it.

As a general rule I would say that punters should vote with their money when it comes to bookmakers. They will soon rectify their websites if they start losing customers because of bad service/experience. A couple of weeks of website designer and website programmer time is expensive but is still a darn sight cheaper than running thousands of betting shops with staff; and the young punters they all want love online/mobile.

7. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

They have been underhand, guaranteed prices except on lucky 15s etc --but that is nothing compared to the total absence of information -no form, nothing -like they are melding into virtual cartoon rubbish -I have finished with them. Sent them an email with my views -no reply,,, sod them -

8. King Shergar

Best odds on lucky 15s is to risky for bookmakers to lay, particularly with the treble the odds one winner that they do. Any decent judge would clear them out :biggrin:

9. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

The Lucky 15/31 bets are the bookies dream!
    1 loser knocks out half the bets.
    If you back 2 (50% success rate) winners you only have 3 winning bets out of 15 (20%)
    The bookies favourite punters are the Lucky 15 brigade!!

10. King Shergar

This may be true in the case of Yankees, but this isn't the case if the bookie is paying treble the odds one winner, like Betred do on Lucky 15s. You get 1 5/1 winner and you've made a profit on the bet :biggrin:

11. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

£15 on a 5/1 winner returns £90
    The sole 5/1 on a £1 L15 returns £16
    Even if you divide the £15 by your 4 selections £3.75 @ 5/1 will return £22.50 which is 40% more than your trebled odds return <ok>

12. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

After one particularly successful 'Cheltenham' with my ante post bets with Betfred I was effectively banned as the AP bets they would accept were so small it was not worth the punt. To be fair to Betfred this practice was followed by Paddy Power. My accounts with Victor Chandler and Boylesports have also been closed after successful Cheltenhams'.

13. King Shergar

Your conveniently ignoring the fact, that if you have 3 or 4 winners you will have won loads.

I know the big win doesn't happen very often, but the treble the odds one winner is a way of minimising losses until you hit 3 or 4 winners.

I only do singles myself, but don't underestimate how much value there is to be had in treble the odds one winner on L15s. The only reason I dont do them is because Betfred would shut down my account sharpish, and they are one of the few company's I can still get a bet on with. Other than the exchanges :biggrin:

bayernkenny likes this.
  14. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Lucky 15/31/63 are pretty much the only bets I do. I don't spend money so very rarely worth my while just doing singles but I've had some cracking returns on lucky 15s etc. I always go each way and try put in decent prices and is usually pretty easy to turn a profit all be it a small one most of the time.

It is frustrating though when your first horse loses and and like has bee said most of your bets wiped out but still plenty of profit to be made from doubles as trebles. Personally I've never had all 4 winners on L15 or all 5 on 31 or all 6 in 63 but I've been close. I remember only last year having a very small stake lucky 31, i'm talking 5p ew because the horses where all silly long shots and only put it on for a bit of interest. I had 1 winner at 16/1 and all the other 4 placed and it returned £380. If I'd gone win only 10p stake i'd have had £3:30 back getting double odds on a sole winner.

I think most people have a certain way how they bet I suppose it's just what we become used to

15. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

That is the biggest problem with online bookmakers – as it is all computerised, they can easily keep a track on customers who win too often and close their accounts or limit their stakes. Limiting stakes still allows them to get information about what winning punters are backing so they can ameliorate the effect elsewhere.

On the Exchanges the users are the bookmakers and the punters so the operators do not care as long as they get their percentage.

If you just go in betting shops and spread your wagers around it is a lot harder for them to track; and you could get around a ban easily by getting somebody else to put your bets on.

16. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

My 'failure' was that I did not bet daily or, after I retired, even on major races on Saturdays. My punting was limited to ante post bets on major races, mostly international, where the prices were available months (up to 12 months in the case of the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Arc) in advance of the event plus I had the choice of the prices with all the major firms. As you say computerisation meant that the online bookmakers could esasily determine my bets and betting process. Added to the lack of losses daily or weekly meant that I was not considered a 'good customer'. If, by chance, my 'Cheltenham' returns were from a partricular firm the limits or closures were instigated. I must however give William Hill, Ladbroke, Coral and Totesport good reports.
    I must relate a particular story. Before online betting and when I had telephone accounts with the major firms a local independent firm with who I placed some of my Saturday bets offered me the following conditions leading up to one particular festival:

1. Non runner no bet within three weeks of any race.
    2. They would match the best price offered by any of the major firms.

I asked the manager to confirm these conditions with the owner. This was agreed. I took a five figure sum from the firm. I was advised that all future bets would be settled at SP!!!!

Ho hum!