1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Tosh, goss 'n twaddle - Summer 2020

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 26, 2020.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only way this makes sense is if the obligation to buy is set in stone, but has clauses which would boost the fee higher.

So for example Barcelona have to pay us £25m next summer regardless, even if Max doesn't play a minute for them, but if Max becomes a big success there then the fee goes up and up.

It's essentially NCFC loaning Barcelona that £25m for 12 months, so presumably they'd be paying a premium for that. We're solving their cashflow issues.

2. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

It would be a dream move and a great advert for our academy, pocketing a combined £40m for 2 lads we poached from Luton is also great business.

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Having read the original source article in the Spanish magazine Sport, I think this is a journo's speculative extension from Barca's original inquiry. With Byram out until January, I can't see SW loaning Aarons out, leaving us with the 18 year old Bali Mumba, a DM covering at RB. Godfrey could move to RB or we could go to 3 at the back with Mumba and Xavi as WBs. If we sign another RB, it would take time for him to settle in. Any of these options would leave us at a big disadvantage.

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

I read that Gibson can play left back, it's the right side we would struggle to cover

6. RiverEndRick

That's right Dunc, although 3 at the back is an option there and Placheta could play at WB. He's played at LB before and could be quite a weapon there. The options at RB are far less convincing.

7. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Knowing Webber wouldn't be surprised if he had someone else line up to cover the loss of Aarons.

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Agree with this, I fully expect we went into this summer transfer window with players earmarked to replace every single squad member if necessary, and probably with options at different price points. With two weeks of the window to go, I can't see the club gambling the £150m+ reward for promotion, for £20-30m for Aarons, unless we've got a very good idea of who replaces him.

9. RiverEndRick

I agree as well, but there would still be time required for a new player to settle in. We could have signed a young RB in case this happened, but we didn't and then let McCallum leave on loan so we don't have a back-up orthodox LB. It would all seem a bit ad hoc to me for some possible financial gain in the future and not what a well managed club would do.

10. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I assume Gibson was brought in as a full-fledged CB. To force him into a LB role this early in the season would be nutty. IMHO :emoticon-0102-bigsm

RiverEndRick likes this.

11. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

All ok for now then?

12. RiverEndRick

The TV3 version translated:

"They report from Barcelona that both parties and the player would have already given the OK despite the information that placed him in Munich. Last minute change in the future of Serginho Dest who will end up being Barcelona's reinforcement this season, according to TV3 just advanced."

Good old Google translate. Does this mean that Bayern may now be enquiring about Max? It's curious that the Dest deal is being quoted at the same amounts as those for Max - "The Catalans would take over the side for a fixed price of 20 million and 5 variables". Makes you wonder whether there was serious interest in Max at all.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Sorry when I said I believe Webber would have someone lined up to replace Aarons if he went, I didn't mean that I thought Aarons would go to Barca.

Looking at how Webber works I don't doubt he's got a back up plan to cover most scenarios.

DHCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  14. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

I'm doubtful we'll have more incomings in mind. We've got a big squad and whilst Aarons would be a big loss, i'm not sure how we justify bringing a replacement in when we're overstocked (albeit in other positions). With no fans in the stadium till March next year (maybe) there's the revenues side of things to take into account too. It will be time for someone else to stand up, much like Max did back in the day when he was given a chance.

15. RiverEndRick

We currently have 23 senior players and 5 youth players who don't count in the squad after Sinani, Sitti and McCallum have gone out on loan. I would be concerned if we don't replace Max if he leaves. Not having a recognised RB until next January would be inexcusable if we're serious about seeking promotion. Jordan Thomas, our most experienced U21 RB is also out on loan.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

Bali Mumba was a midfielder that played a handful of games for Sunderland then dropped down to U23s to convert into a right back.
    He will hopefully come good but having him first choice would be an enormous gamble , and unnecessary.

17. RiverEndRick

Mumba is a DM who can also play as a RB. We signed him as a DM but switched him to RB because of Byram's injury. To depend on him and Godfrey covering until January would be pure folly IMO.

18. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think that's inaccurate. All of the initial interviews around him signing suggested the club saw him as better suited to playing RB, and that's how they intend to develop him. I think the club see him as being as much of a DM as Godfrey is...

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  19. RiverEndRick

You could be right DH, as I'm depending on memory reaching back to his time of signing that he was signed as a DM but would be used initially as back-up to Aarons until Byram recovered from injury. Transfermarkt lists him as a DM who can also play at CM or RB.

Given that Tettey is in his final year and Skipp is on loan, next season we will need a DM more than we do a RB. Even if DF intends to keep him at RB, I wouldn't be happy with him being first choice until Byram is fit again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  20. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Getting away from the parochial aspects - if there is truth in these rumours doesn't it show how far the mighty Barcelona have fallen in the league table of European football. Money can be the only reason Messi stayed.

RiverEndRick likes this.