1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League Top & Flop Signings of the Summer 2017

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by StanDMan, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

You been drinking Chief?
    I find it impossible that someone could not understand what he meant.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I said so far because it looks like Man City are about to sign 30m on Danilo who is utterly dreadful and he'll go to sit on their bench.

StanDMan likes this.
  3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Obviously you meant so far in this window, not so far this season, since the season hasn't started yet.
    Not quite sure why Chief would think otherwise, unless he is just being belligerent because you said Lukaku.

4. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I even said "next season" in the next sentence.

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Nempalys Ahmed and Islam didn't work in my analogy.

Depends what you define as a flop, I reckon 25 goals from Lukaku is a good return. We got that from Zlatan for no transfer fee though, so perhaps some folk are expecting 40 goals for £75m.

Some Spurs fans think Kane is worth £150m, so maybe Lukaku has to score half as many as Kane to justify his price.

I don't see any flops out there just now, hopefully Salah for obvious reasons but in general even with the prices being stupid, the players look a good standard so far.

6. Tel (they/them)

I thought he was talking about his cock.

Lukaku has probably got the ability to flop further than others, I reckon he's a good 9 inches on the slack.

7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

The pendulum is certainly swinging back to the PL in terms of quality.
    The TV money was bound to make a difference on the European scale eventually.
    We will hopefully start seeing some more English teams winning the CL and EL. (as long as it isn't Liverpool <ok>)

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's ok Bod, you can let go of his hand.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

It ok Chief, him thinking Lukaku will flop won't increase the chances that Lukaku will flop <ok>
    For what its worth, I think he will be among the leagues top scorers again, just like last season.

People keep talking about value for money, but "Value for money" in football went out the window years ago.
    Started when the PL was formed and only got worse as teams got richer, billionaire owners came on the scene, and now TV money has gotten so ridiculous.
    There is no "value for money" in this sport, at least not to a degree that the average Joe can relate to.

10. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought I told you to stop being such a salad? <laugh>

11. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he has to score more than last season for a good return. I think he'll get about 17/18.

You've nailed it though. Until Man City buy a back up right back for 30m, nobody has really done anything majorly bad.

12. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

JRod on my list.

This thread not for POTY but best & worst summer signings. Last season was an exception. POTY and best summer signing happened to be Kante. Not every season it is possible.

Why no love for Rooney? Even if he scores 10+ goals will be a hit at £0M

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Rooney is a ****.

14. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now that Chicpea aka Goal Post has signed for Spammers - I see both Manu rejects (Rooney & Chicpea) finishing above Lukaku in bargain buy chart.

Jose is such a hypocrite. Last season he took a dig at LvG stating he wouldn't have let Chicpea leave.
    Now Chicpea is available for peanuts 16M pounds and he won't make a move?

15. Stan

Stan Stalker

Are you ever going to post about Chelsea again?

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

StanDMan likes this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

That doesn't make him a hypocrite.

A hypocrite would be if he went and took over as manager of the club Hernandez was playing for and sold him.

Libby likes this.
  18. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

On a personal (and biased) view, I think getting Chalobah and Hughes for a combined £10m is a great bit of business... although do think we need a young CB and a goal-scorer. Would love us to have got JRod from Saints - think he will do very well at WBA!

Salah along with Sane will be a very good attack, and should work well with Coutinho and Firmino...

Flop - probably a few of the City players if they don't adapt to Pep's style quick enough! Too early to tell really

StanDMan likes this.
  19. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like they have the right experience to judge then? ... in fairness the jury is still out on both players you mention, particularly Slimani, who actually did quite well in terms of goals return in games when he got to start - plus the service to him was pretty dire. He's very good in the air and with the right service could easily end up with 15 goals plus .

Musa is a strange one - really he is a straight swap for Vardy but Ranieri appeared to want to try and accommodate both at times, meaning Musa was often played wide when he really isn't a wide player.

Lukaku's biggest issue is the fee paid - that comes with it's own burden as Pogba has found out - if you'd signed Pogba for half what you paid, the comments could easily be that he has made a 'steady' even 'promising start'.

Lukaku has also been anonymous in some games I've seen him play for Everton. He'll get the service at United no doubt - but the very best defenders that I've seen him play against (at International level) don't look too uncomfortable in containing him ... only time will tell. <ok>

StanDMan likes this.
  20. Tel (they/them)

Price is relative and certainly not a concern for United. Our record signings as a percentage of our annual turnover spread over the length of their contracts is pittance, if opposition fans want to hang off a price tag then that's fine but it doesn't make the player any better or any worse, it's not an attribute.

We also have another player who's 19 and didn't cost us a bean and you can stick a £90m price tag on him if you want too, doesn't make him any better or any worse.