1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Toon line up Bordeaux defender

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Secret Ingredient, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

Talking in his pre-match press conference yesterday, manager Alan Pardew said he has been given the green light by Mike Ashley to bring in a new centre-half.

We all know we are short in that area since Steven Taylor’s season ending injury. Whilst confirming that one player will definitely be coming in – thought to be Modibo Maiga, he also told the Chronicle that he is free to bring in a centre-half:

“Mike asked me when am I going to get a centre-half.” Pardew said. “It’s about making sure we get the right one. When you look at centre-halves it is easy to get it wrong. You can look at David Luiz, who is finding it difficult, he was £18million and he didn’t play the last game. So it doesn’t matter what you spend, you have to get the right one.”

So good news there, and Pardew is right when he says it’s about making sure we get the right one, whether that be a player with Premier League experience or another Graham Carr special – talking of Graham Carr specials…

According to FootMercato we are interested in Bordeauxs centre-half Michael Ciani. The 27-year old Frenchman joined Bordeaux in 2009 and was described as ‘collosal’ by manager Francis Gillot after his first season at the club but has since lost his place in the team and has looked a shadow of his former self the last few months.

On the front of it Michael looks like he has all the attributes to make it in the Premier League, standing at 6′ 2″ he can handle the physical side of things but the question has to be asked as to why he’s struggled for past few months. If Graham Carr does think Ciani is the man to get then who are we to argue? But looking at it, it looks like he’s only been lined with us because the player is from France.

A defender we’ve been linked with for a while now, Taye Taiwo, has been told that AC Milan won’t stand in his way if he wants to leave. Taiwo give an interview earlier in the week expressing his unhappiness at not being part of the first team this season and that he didn’t want that to continue for too long.

Milan’s vice-president Adriano Galliani responded by saying: “I’ve not read Taiwo’s interview, but I will. If the player wants to be sold then we’ll look to find a solution that suits everybody.”

So there’s a new name to add to the every growing list. I don’t know much about Ciani but Taiwo on the other hand I would love for us to sign, but it’s whether he wants regular football at a top seven Premier League team on a good wage or go to somewhere like Turkey, an average league but earning A LOT of money.

some more transfer ramblings

2. The Secret Ingredient

reading that it makes me wonder are we getting a LB in Jan?

3. Gutierrez's Right Boot

Gutierrez's Right Boot Well-Known Member

I think he hasnt taken being dropped very well. Thats what they probably mean

4. The Secret Ingredient

a bit like Taiwo

5. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

The defending's ****ing awful in Ligue 1. If he's been dropped he must be dreadful. Is there enough sell on value for Ashley in a 27 year old?

6. The Secret Ingredient

i can see it being someone from abroad as every club in england know we have a major problem and the already inflated prices will shoot up knowing we are desperate for a CB

7. The Secret Ingredient

seems we're interested in Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha

the silly season is now in full swing :)

8. Tiote_like_a_Toiger

Wouldn't mind Zaha like...quality talent.

9. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

The "one player we're definitely getting in" is Maiga. He's a dead cert and a defender is likely as well but we dont have one lined up, just targets.

10. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

TBH, I'd be satisfied if we signed Maiga and Ridgewell, and didn't sell anyone important. If we get another CB, an RM and possibly Luuk De Jong I'd be thrilled.

11. The Secret Ingredient

i'd be over the moon with maiga(even though i'd prefer other targets),Cissokho and a CB

12. I'm With Colo

I'm With Colo Active Member

I wonder how HBA and Taiwo got on at Marseille? If well, call him up Benny!

13. I want curly hair too

I want curly hair too Active Member

Good to see we're making progress with a LB (also heard about further Cissokho interest too) and a CB, thought this guy does sound a bit dodgy if he's not in the first XI..

Out of interest does anyone know a little more about Maiga, such as could he play on the wing and up front like a Daniel Sturridge-type player or is he an out and out striker? Because we do need a RM/RW, in my opinion, more than a striker.

14. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Ah yeah good point, get our French ambassador involved <ok>

15. The Secret Ingredient

best to ask the not606er who lives in France and watches a lot of the French lge(can't remember who it is though),have watched him a bit this season but not really a fair view of his ability as the times i've seen him to be honest he's played like someone who wants out and not got his heart in the club.

16. Tiote_like_a_Toiger

He's like Sturridge, in that he is effective from the right wing but can also play through the middle. He has pace and power, is good in the air, likes a dribble...here's a good article about him for you.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footba...riker-who-can-bring-cl-football-to-newcastle/

17. I want curly hair too

I want curly hair too Active Member

18. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

I seem to remember he didn't really get on with anyone.

Remember Karim Ziani - apparently we were all set to sign him last Jan, and then someone remembered that he hated HBA (and vice-versa), and so nothing has been said about it since.

19. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

I still remember the headline the week he signed - "Thanks England for taking Houllier and Ben Arfa". He's basically fell out with the entire country at one point or another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.