1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Toon Army vs Palace

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Aug 31, 2022.

1. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That’s the trouble. We are never going to do anything about poor refereeing when managers agree with every decision that goes for them and disagree with every one that goes against. It would also help if the players would stop claiming every throw in and corner when it clearly isn’t.

2. Rudekid

Rudekid Well-Known Member

Vieira I actually like alot I guess at this point he just hasn't seen the incident properly.

Tuchel did the same and yes you're correct and it's something I try to avoid doing which is wanting decisions one way wheh it suits you, but unfortunately lots of people can't override their emotional bias.

3. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

I guess he was technically correct. It was a foul on the goalkeeper but it was caused by the foul on Willock. I guess the fair decision would have been to give a penalty to us.

4. Rudekid

Goal or a pen and a red card for denying willock the goal he was about to nod in.

The keeper wasn't getting that he actually fouled willock also.. He came rushing out straight into willock

Prince Isak (GG) likes this.
  5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

That VAR decision was shocking. As well as being unfair on us it was also unfair on the ref who got the original call correct. It's getting harder and harder not to think that corruption is rife. It's not just us by the way. There are shocking VAR decisions week in and week out, but they ****ed up yesterday having so many blatantly obvious ones happen on the same day.

I'm with @Welshie though. We need to get to the point where we're good enough to take VAR out of the game. Created loads of chances yesterday and didn't put them away. Their keeper made some great saves and Miggy hit the post. Fine margins. I'm not overly worried. Like others have said, it's still a vast improvement on 12 months ago, which is all we can realistically ask for or expect.

6. Rudekid

I agree, but the harsh reality of this means Newcastle need to better than they are and that will always continue.

Can you be better than you are?

7. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

You can become better than you are

8. Rudekid

Yes that's true but not that day.. Newcastle were good enough to win yesterday but didn't.

It won't end they'll always have to be better than they are that's true to win.

9. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I agree with this. We got shafted effectively 4 ways in one decision.
    Goal should have stood.
    Penalty if not.
    Red card.
    VAR changed the initial accurate decision.

Munson. likes this.
  10. Rudekid

We all saw it, but there's people that think the officials aren't capable of seeing it? Come on wake up. They're surrounded by monitors.. There is money involved.lots of it

tenor (14).gif

11. ToonArmy1892

ToonArmy1892 Well-Known Member

I'm getting the word...

Corruption.

Munson. likes this.
  12. Rudekid

ezgif-4-76cbd04f5a (1).gif

ToonArmy1892 likes this.
  13. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

If we are sound all season we are in good nick.

It's still hard to ascertain what Howe's target is and what position we expect to be in tbh.

I think a safe season, pushing for top half football, top ten is good enough. Which is what we are currently doing.

My whole point on VAR is, yeah, it was a **** decision and it cost us a goal. But those "corrupt" officials weren't shooting lasers in Miggys eyes. We could have won 2-0 with the VAR **** up.

JakartaToon likes this.
  14. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Its the referee's fault whatever. He was asked to have a look at it - he could have asked to see the different angle if he has doubts. VAR asking the ref to have a look it is effectively saying its your call. Trouble is it's too much of a clubby type atmosphere and the refs don't want to tell the VAR guys they think they are wrong. Its easy for the onfield ref to say it happened too quickly. If VAR are wrong it's actually questioning the capability of the guy in the box who has all the technology required and still can't make the correct decision.

I actually think they should use a completely independent VAR team, possibly composed of ex-players, but definitely not including Agbonlahor. He was the only one of the 'experts', when questioned on the two decisions at the weekend, indicated that the West Ham one was stupid, but the one in our game was correct.

15. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

It really was a failure to take our chances that let us down. Worst miss of the lot was Isak's - so much time and appalling decision making and execution. If that had been Wood - Roly would have gone apoplectic. Willock just had to hook his leg round one to score but sliced it wide. That volley by Almiron - just very poor decision making. If he had hit it on the half volley its much easier.

Thought Longstaff was very unlucky with his header, goalkeeper made an amazing save off that and then defender blocked follow-up.

The trouble is though that with Guimares missing we have no-one in midfield who looks like they are going to contribute goals. I never have any confidence in Joelinton or Almiron being in the right place at the right time, and even if they were they will **** it up 9 times out of 10, Fraser and Longstaff rarely get into scoring positions and Shelvey seems to have lost the ability to shoot.

Willock is my only other hope of a midfielder getting goals. At the weekend he was starting to get into more scoring positions but not executing. Hopefully he can improve on that. Think he is being asked to play a deeper role most of the time but didnt really need to on Saturday, hence the chances.