1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Too Posh to push

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Lambert’s biggest attribute seems to be PR management and that alone just isn’t enough to get us back where we’d like to be.One could be astounded by ME’s decision to extend his contract when he did but I’m now at the stage where nothing he does surprises me.

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

The problem basically is that we don't have enough players of a high enough standard to cope with suspensions and injuries, without going over it all again we know where we are weak and who the players are who are not up to even this lowly standard. Not for the first time just when we needed to strengthen nothing has been done and so the dilution of the squad continues with the inevitable results, draw your own conclusions as to why this is allowed to continue but the evidence was there for all to see when in front of over 21000 fans Town were thrashed by Peterborough, the support is there home and away which should shame our useless owner into action but this man knows no shame.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree and i think Mick but mainly ME should take the majority of blame for this due to the lowering of standards and budget for the first team. Let's face it I think we we're probably only able to attract the 'talented' players like Huws, Keane and Judge because they are either injury prone or already had a long term injury.

To be fair Lambert and Hurst seem to have tried to put things in place to improve facilities and manage players but when you have very little to work with in the transfer market we seem to have to rely on injury prone players or youngsters. The number of players we have to really manage due to their injury record or age (not played alot of competitive football) is astonishing and part of the reason why Lambert rotated earlier in the season.

Lambert has definitely made mistakes and one of the biggest is I think he's focused more on the bigger picture than the now. The bigger picture is important and he's done alot to make improvements but we have to be careful we don't keep thinking too much about the future and concentrate on the now or the future won't happen. We've seen some of the football/entertainment value improve, on the whole his signings have been pretty good, signed some lower league players and he's given our academy players a chance.

In many ways he's the opposite to Mick, who was all about the here and now and as I call him was the great sticking plaster of our club but in my mind did nothing for the long term future of the club (as with all his previous clubs).

I said if we managed to be in and about the top 2 come January and got a couple of good signings to improve the squad we'd do well this season. Unfortunately we didn't and I think now it seems it could go one way or the other, I can still see us finishing mid table as much as I can see us finishing in the top 2.

4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has blamed Keane or Jewell for our decline lol.

ME has been owner for what, 12 years now?
    Other than one good season in the play offs, we've declined every year...he cant keep using the same old excuse of we had our fingers burnt 10 years ago...we have better support than some premiership clubs for christ sake.
    He needs to have one big blow out, spend up to 10m on 4 or 5 quality signings, otherwise we'll be stuck in this decline for another 10 years.

If it dont work and we havent progressed, then get out and give another owner a chance to move us forward

San Diego and fieldmarshall like this.
  5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

And MEs wealth has doubled in this period.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

ME has made bad choices at every juncture. He’s appointed all the wrong people at the wrong times. He’s fired managers when he should have given them more time and kept them on when they were going nowhere. He’s failed to invest a few million each window to improve us, instead spending a fortune on loan players that go back to their parent clubs but sold an entire Premier League squad of players.