1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tom Cleverley unlikely to seek Wigan return

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Tom Cleverley seems to have ruled out a second season on-loan at Wigan Athletic by publicly suggesting he is ready to make the step-up to first-team action at parent club Manchester United.

The 21-year-old is yet to play for United, but has picked up significant senior experience in three successive loan spells, at Leicester City, Watford and most recently in the Premier League with Roberto Martinez's Latics.

The youngster played a key role in Wigan's Premier League survival last season, but has set his sights on taking Paul Scholes' role in the United midfield rather than heading back to the DW Stadium.

He told the Manchester Evening News: "Paul Scholes' boots are very big ones to fill, he's been a winner and a great player. Any team is going to miss a player of that ability. But as always somebody has to step up.

"You hope that given the chance you can, along with everyone else, give something so he is not missed as much.

"I hope I can put my case forward and save the club some money. Wigan have helped me and I feel I am ready to tackle the job at United.

"I have spoken to the manager. We have had two or three discussions. They were good chats and he will be speaking to me again after the European Championships.

"I know United will be buying players this summer. The reality is that United are the biggest club in the world so they are going to be interested in the best.

"They will be linked with players and they will buy top players. You grow up at the club knowing that will be the case. That is part of the challenge.

"But we all know the manager promotes young home grown players so you have to show you are good enough.

"After the experiences at Wigan I know what it takes now at Premier League level. I want to be part of the manager's plans."

Cleverley last night featured for England Under 21s in their European Championship opener against Spain.

2. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

come back to the dw tom youl get first team play wich if you stay at united will be a bit slow in coming its the right thing to do<ok>

3. ReallyReal

ReallyReal Member

In reality, Cleverley is a good PL midfielder with lots of potential, judging by his performances last season, he's nowhere near good enough for the ManU starting XI or even their bench, if everyone is fully fit, if he does stay at OT next season, expect him to play in a few cup games and that's it, he needs at least another season out on loan somewhere, he'd be welcomed back at the DW, but we'll cope well without him too.
    Good luck wherever you play Tom <ok>.

4. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

well thats his discision but look at the players which have or are roting at OT in the past and present