1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Pilgrim, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

redcgull likes this.
  2. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

My cousin is one of the deputy chef de mission for team GB. He was chef de mission for team GB at the last 2 winter olympics. This is his last olympics before he retires - I think he will be rather glad to stay in one place for a while having racked up airmiles a plenty

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I’m struggling even more than usual to generate interest in this. London 2012 was superb but since then ………… not the same. And now COVID ……..

SwanHills and redcgull like this.
  4. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Isn’t this now going ahead without any crowds? If so it will be a pale shadow of the event it normally is. Olympic Games without crowds not for me.

5. Janabelle13

Yes no spectators and no non-Japanese volunteers. Add in an 8 hour time difference:sad:

6. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Leaving aside Covid, it's bonkers to be holding anything in Tokyo in July/August. It is a really nasty climate and will make those World Athletics Championships held in the desert in 2019 look like a children's party. Swimming will be OK I suppose.

Last time in Tokyo was October, where it should be.

redcgull likes this.
  7. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

A bit like holding the football world cup in Qatar - the mind boggles

Resurgam likes this.
  8. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

The idea of having the worlds best athletes at the peak of their condition and giving them the best atmosphere, elements and equipment to see them perform at their very best seems to be lost on the ones running these organisations nowadays...!!

9. Bustino74

It's not just that it's hot it's that the humidity is 70% and upwards, even after the sun has gone down.

10. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I can't get enthused at all. Might as well have held it behind closed doors last year in my mind.

My finest hour in Olympic betting was getting 9/4 on Kirani James to win the 400M. I could not believe my eyes when I saw his odds sitting at 9/4 because one of his main rivals had just pulled out with an injury and the other had been eliminated in an early heat. I stared nervously at the screen, expecting it to refresh but it kept coming back as 9/4. The manager dialed up the price and confirmed it was 9/4. £40 changed hands and when I got home and checked the website, he was 4/9.

It is rare to get that sort or rick these days but I recall foxing my local bookie back in the 90's. Ernie Els, Colin Montgomerie and Loren Roberts were in a play off for the US Open and Ernie was a couple of shots back. Following the teletext updates I could see Els had a short putt for a birdie, while the other pair were putting for bogies. A two shot swing was imminent so I called my local bookie because I was aware he used Coral for odds and Els was 8/1 with them. To deflect suspicion I doubled Ernie with a horse. It seemed to take forever for the bet to be confirmed but it held on the screen at 8/1. Ten seconds after I put the phone down, the screen refreshed and Ernie was 13/8.

The horse won and so did Ernie but when I went to get my cash the Cashier shouted "You were F***ing AT IT with that bet" The owner was a bit of a rogue himself and took in it good heart. It was rumoured that he had "Lock ins" for Evening Racing long before it was legalised and that the telephone bets never went through the till. What Betting Duty?

The nostalgia of the good old days.

SwanHills likes this.

11. Pilgrim

Mens Olympic Golf

Honestly it's not that he has a lot of value but Jon Rahm's form stands out from his opponents and if he plays like he has in recent weeks it will be difficult for anyone to beat him.

Jon Rahm 5/1 with WH, others 9/2

12. Janabelle13

SwanHills likes this.
  13. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Must be the first time in my life that I find it difficult to summon much interest in the Olympics, in this case, the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. However, must admit to be very happy to see the England girls put it to Japan. Man, was that Japanese coach tee'd off, she did not expect this. Must take a butchers at the swimming, which I enjoy very much, as, through my old dad, I guess I come from a swimming family (but don't look at me - beautiful style with no engine - :emoticon-0101-sadsm)

As mentioned previously on here, surely they are putting thousands of top-class athletes at very real risk, regardless of the elaborate precautions being made. The Covid virus, and associated variants, seem to totally ignore "elaborate precautions"? :emoticon-0112-wonde

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  14. Janabelle13

I think you will find there are a couple of non-English ladies in the squad

Bustino74 likes this.
  15. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

<doh> Apologies, should be Team GB, of course. Knew I shouldn't have messed around with this particular thread. Have little or no interest in it, quite frankly. I'll stick to the racing thread, in which I do have the occasional successes to keep me going., Not often, just occasionally.

So over to you, enjoy the exploits of Team GB.

16. Bustino74

Well, the rowers were a bit spotty today.

17. Pilgrim

Out of the Games.

JR out of the games for covid. Athletes who have recently been in UK have to pass three PCR tests, Rahm was negative in the first two but positive in the third.

18. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Adam Peaty take a bow son, Olympic gold winner in the 100m breaststroke, the first Brit to defend any swimming title, and continuing to go unbeaten in his chosen swimming disciple for some 7 years now...!!! :emoticon-0165-muscl :emoticon-0171-star: :emoticon-0137-clapp

SwanHills, Chaninbar and Janabelle13 like this.
  19. Janabelle13

Manic Monday for Team GB - 3 gold medals and its not even 9am (UK time)

20. Bustino74

I'm glad Stayt is off the screen at the moment. His most recent plonker statement was 'Raheem Stirling's school was literally in the shadow of Wembley Stadium'. Really? The poor kids must have had to learn totally in artificial light. Think of the electricity bill.

However this was surpassed by Ms Quek this morning when she said ' Tom Daley's gold medal win is literally a fairytale'. Don't quite know what to say about that. Can you still say that sort of thing?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    SwanHills likes this.