1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Today's Games

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ThaiCanary, Jan 19, 2019.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

It finished 3-1 and Bournemouth have now lost 3 in a row and taken 1 point from their last 4 games. Their chance of a top two finish looks a long way off now. Reading are still very much in the race though.

carrowcanario likes this.
  2. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Reading have really surprised me. I had more or less discounted them after the four defeats following their flying start, but they're starting to look as if they'll last the pace. Bournemouth have surprised me in the opposite direction. I thought they were going to be serious rivals for an automatic place, but not unless they can put a run of results together very soon.

RiverEndRick and DHCanary like this.
  3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

The thing is that the Championship is such a long season

Do you remember two years ago, weren’t Villa lagging pitifully in mid-table? Then they went on a ten-match run from game 36, got play-offs and promotion.

So I would be hesitant to make any big calls until we have fewer than ten matches to play.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  4. RiverEndRick

That's true Rob and it's strange how the teams below us have bunched on 47 points, 6 points behind us. Brentford's game in hand keeps them in the picture but Bournemouth must be worried after three straight losses. Our task is to focus on averaging around two points per match to hold on to or build our lead as the number of matches left decreases. Our 14 point gap over 7th place does look solid though - even more so if we beat Boro today.

The Pinkun take on where we are:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-middlesbrough-daniel-farke-preview-7082114

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Absolutely continue to average 2 points per game and we don't have to concern ourselves with what anyone else does. Just need to remain focused and not get complacent.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Watford 1 QPR 2

7. RiverEndRick

That's the final score as QPR come from behind to win.

8. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

All hail brave Kew Pee Arr

RiverEndRick likes this.
  9. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

That was Watford's 27th game, so we actually have a game in hand against them.

10. Canary Rob

Bad slip up by Watford, but they have the players to push it all the way still I would say.

11. RiverEndRick

According to the stats QPR was the better team with 57% of the possession, more shots, more on target and more goals.

12. DUNCAN DONUTS

I watched it , Watford played their physical game and Deeney got his 7th goal from the spot he's had 6 penalties.

Second half it was all QPR .

13. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Watford have now scored 31 goals, at least 6 of which are penalties, 19.6%of their total. Moral? Do not give them a penalty and they are then very beatable. I do not believe they do have the players to "push it all the way" Rob. Unless they manage to get those penalties by the dark arts.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  14. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I think I remember Farke saying that, over the last ten years, only seven teams who came down from the Prem went straight back up despite all the advantages of having a Premier squad, parachute payments etc. Less than a quarter.

I'm wondering if one reason is that teams like Watford, who have been in the Prem for several seasons, have got so used to playing attritional football purely in order to survive that they have forgotten how to play a more expansive game once they have a superior squad compared to most of the other teams in the league.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. Canary Rob

I think they have the players to get those penalties by the dark arts... :emoticon-0105-wink:

RiverEndRick likes this.
  16. Canary Rob

I think there’s good potential in that theory. When I think of the teams which have bounced back - Newcastle, West Brom off the top of my head - they played quite attacking football (at least at the time)

17. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

There was nothing "attritional" about Watford last night. It was an open, end to end game up until the penalty (at 52 minutes). Having taken the lead, far from sitting back, Watford went looking for the second goal, which proved their undoing. QPR's Dickie was WhoScored Man of the Match, on account of his defensive performance, in particular blocking a number of goal-bound shots. As for the penalty, there was nothing "dark" about it at all. Sarr was simply too nimble and quick for Cameron, who dived in and stood on Sarr's foot after Sarr had touched the ball past him. It was as clear a penalty as you'd see.

18. Canary Rob

robbie, I was joking. I had hoped that was obvious.

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

Watford rarely look like scoring if they don't get awarded a penalty,yesterday's was a pen but without those 6 Deeney penalties they would be nowhere near the top .

They have some quality players but they are not pretty to watch .

20. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I know you were Rob. Regarding the penalties, penalties are awarded when attacking play in the opposition box is halted by foul play. Why should the fact that Watford keep getting penalties awarded in their favour be viewed with suspicion, rather than seen as testimony to the quality of players such as Sarr?