1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Today's Games 2018/19 Season

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jul 10, 2018.

1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I second that. What a belter. I'm chuffed spurs went through. Son really is some player, one of the best players in the world in my opinion.

2. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Spurs have it all to do on Saturday as well. Because if they fail to get something from the League game, they could well find themselves not qualifying for next year's Champions League. Let's face it, a lot of us on here don't like them for various reasons. However I'd rather see them qualify than Chelsea or United.

3. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

The offside was the correct decision. Why should a club progress with a wrong decision. Var proved it's worth there.

DT’s Socks and rangercol like this.
  4. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Yes another big game. I dont mind spurs at all. Its Chelsea, liverpool and man utd I cant be doing with.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The thing is if the linesman had done his job properly and flagged for offside at the time var wouldn't have been required....as has been said it was fairly clear cut decision....

With the goal decision I can't see how the ref could possibly see any arm contact it was only evident in super slow motion....I'm not sure he would have disallowed the goal in real time if var wasn't available....

6. YorkshireHoopster

It's easy to be the best when the owners can afford the best. However it devalues the game when only the wealthiest club wins everything. As for Guardiola he has never had to manage under any financial constraints. Without taking anything away from the exhilarating way his teams play, his management nous have never really been tested by adverse circumstances. He's welcome to set himself a challenge at Loftus Road but failing that it would be interesting to see how successful he was as the manager of a national side.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  7. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Man City are some football team regardless of the money and Liverpool are currently brilliant to watch

Was that the best game ever ?

Nope imo it was our comeback against Liverpool
    3-2

Mackie 2012 and it was under Hughes
    13 minutes to go dead as a duck
    Derry Cisse and then Mackie

Keeps me believing in football so bollocks to City Liverpool Spuds and Man Utd they are not QPR

kiwiqpr and NorwayRanger like this.
  8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I'd say the game did suffer because the review of Llorente's goal was unnecessary and it ruined the flow. As to the Aguero offside, yes the goal was correctly disallowed, but I believe that the existence of VAR must affect the decision-making of linesmen. If you know VAR will bale you out you are probably less likely to flag for something that you are a little unsure of.

VAR steals the spontaneity from the game. Sooner or later we'll have 'Was that a goal? Join us after the break.'

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

I actually started with the Liverpool game, when the score started coming in I switched to the Spurs game just in time to see the Son goal. Actually felt for City, two decisions that went against them. Will their season implode?

10. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

would a change in the offside law help? I'd like to see the whole body has to be offside rather than his big toe. Was there any advantage taken by Aguero before setting up the winner? No imo

qprbeth, Uber_Hoop and sb_73 like this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think this is the thing. I’ve nothing against VAR except it’s incredible slowness, which will hopefully get better. But simplifying the offside and handball laws might reduce the need for it, and help return the game to where it started, it’s the most popular sport in the world partly because it’s incredibly simple, any idiot can understand the rules. Or they used to be able to.

Whole body offside, clear movement of the hand/arm towards the ball.

Straight red for diving/simulation.

NorwayRanger, kiwiqpr and Uber_Hoop like this.
  12. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I understand and agree to an extent about the offside rule but regarding an advantage from aguero being offside....of course it's an advantage hes a yard ahead of play in an offside position. Totally correct decision and I actually think this VAR is a good thing. It could be the difference between progression in cups, desperate points needed and incorrect decisions. Its massive for the game and I thought it was quite exciting waiting for it last night. Just imagine being a spurs fan (not that you will want to) and you didnt go through due to an incorrect decision.

NorwayRanger and rangercol like this.
  13. YorkshireHoopster

Possibly. For a while at least some linesmen will be found wanting. But it is inevitable surely that with time, appraisals or assessments of end of season performance will lead to linesmen and referees who make mistakes regularly (based on VAR evidence) being 'moved on' and the others will buck up their ideas. The whole objective of this is to improve the standards of decision-making and ensure that competitions are won in accordance with the rules of the sport. having said that this will mean that decisions as to who should officiate in the biggest games needs to be decided on the basis of merit and not racial or geographical quotas.

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

World's most popular sport yes
    Do something about the bloody diving and even the kiwi's won't take the piss any more

15. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

There was every advantage in Aguero setting up the winner.
    How can there not have been?

bobmid likes this.
  16. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Don't feel any sympathy whatsoever for City, they are a financial obscenity in the beautiful game having virtually a blank cheque to buy success and getting away with murder in regards to FFP. Every defeat for them is karma...

17. YorkshireHoopster

Hang on a minute. You can't judge the necessity for VAR based solely on how obvious it was on action replay. How many people saw clearly the extent of the contact in real time and the motion and position of Llorente's hand? Guardiola came close to moaning about it when interviewed. How could he have had a better view than the ref who was or should have been a few feet away? Come to think of it there were howls for a penalty every time one of their players was tackled in the vicinity of the box. With so much playacting going on all the time from the slightest of contacts why shouldn't referees have the ability to use technology to help them as opposed to it being used against them by pundits on tv? I understand your point about spontaneity and delay. But surely that will improve over time. If players and their managers abuse the system by contesting every decision (thus wasting time and ruining spontaneity) by calling for a VAR review that can easily be remedied as they did in tennis by limiting the number of challenges and also imposing penalties on the offenders

Goldhawk-Road and NorwayRanger like this.
  18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Are Chelscum falling apart...3-0, 4-1...now 4-3!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Wednesday's game between Man City and Spurs was too close to call and neither team deserved to lose. So fair play to UEFA for showing some common sense by making them replay it this afternoon. <applause> <applause> <applause>

City are currently 1-0 up due to some awful defending by Spurs.

kiwiqpr, sb_73, UTRs and 1 other person like this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

This is the very rare occurrence of me preferring Spurs to win, as I want Klopp to win the PL.

True to form they ****ed it up for me.

QPR999 likes this.