1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Today's Games 2018/19 Season

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jul 10, 2018.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

If you get relegated from the top band it's harder to qualify for the Euros.
    I like it and it's stopped those terrible friendlies.

WBA2_QPR3 and bobmid like this.
  2. rangercol

Loved that challenge.

Stroller likes this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Talk about direct football.

Excellent tactics against Spain.

4. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

However, I think Spain had a great shout for a penalty.

It did look a more like a rugby tackle. :)

5. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I do not think it was churlish, just honest. I loved the way England played, sabrestrike counter attack, fast accurate and deadly. They battled from the back, everyone played to 110%. They only had 3 shots on target, but they made the most of them.

All I was saying is on a different night. A penalty would have been given against Pickfords brainfreeze The shot that came back off Pickford to their CF and bounced harmlessly wide, would have gone in, the two off the post may have gone in. Pickford could have stumbled and carried the ball over.

Yes I also agree Spain were lucky to win at Wembley...We were unlucky to lose that one.

I also think this is the best England team for years, Southgate really has got it right.

But I can see we rode our luck tonight....but as Bill Shankley I think said..

It's funny the harder you work the luckier you get

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Shawswood likes this.
  6. rangercol

They deserved that luck away to Spain.
    We are playing proper football from the back into midfield and scored three superb goals from open play.
    You were being churlish imo but hey, never mind.
    That was one of England's greatest results of the past 20 years.

7. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Games are not won or lost on ifs or buts, the ball in the net is what counts. Pickford imo made a tremendous tackle to rectify his mistake. Keepers are highlighted all the time. Is it any different to Rashford missing 2 one on one's against Croatia? Not in my eyes. So glad Southgate went with Rashford again.
    We fully deserved to win that game.

rangercol likes this.
  8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Only 27 % possession and 5 shots, the 3 goals the only ones on target according to BBC.

9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

You can't talk to Beth like that
    Vern's gonna chin ya if you carry on like that <laugh><laugh><badger><laugh><laugh>

qprbeth and rangercol like this.
  10. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Why the polemics?

It was a great match which was great to watch.

England’s “sabre” efficient attack in the first half was incredible. The tactics were great and efficient. Spain were lost until half tiime.

In the 2nd half, Spain reacted and adjusted, thus were more efficient. England perhaps tired.

It made for a very exciting game.

However, If I were a Spain supporter, I would say we were robbed a point by the (Polish) ref’s decision not to give a penalty. If the game went to extra time, then it may have been a draw (theoretically)

But England well won. A great result.

Time to celebrate?

WBA2_QPR3 likes this.

11. rangercol

Ifs, buts and maybes.

It should have been 3-1, as there never should have been 7 added minutes and they scored their second in the 97th minute.
    Sterling could have had a penalty, or at least a free kick right on the edge of the box.
    Apart from the goals, England played some lovely football at times. When did you last see an England team play this way?
    It was a great game and England beat a top side who hadn't lost at home for 15 years.
    There's a long way to go and these youngsters will have ups and downs but we're getting there.
    The future under Southgate is incredibly exciting imo.

igor60 and bobmid like this.
  12. rangercol

They hit the bar, once Beth. They didn't hit the post as I recall.
    If the ball had rebounded in off the forward THAT would have been incredibly lucky imo.
    It was lucky they had a ridiculous 7 minutes added on time and got their 2nd in the 97th minute.
    Saying Pickford could have stumbled in when he caught the ball is bordering on the ridiculous.
    As Bob says, ifs buts and maybes mean nothing.
    England were outstanding and thses lads will get better.

igor60 and bobmid like this.
  13. rangercol

Only the one stat that matters mate.
    Spain in Spain are always going to dominate possession.
    Trust me, England were outstanding.

Deleted......., bobmid and QPR Oslo like this.
  14. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

This was really some achievement considering our history in Spain. I'm at long last getting excited again about watching our national team. We seem to have quality in options, 2/3 players for each position and young players now realise that they have a real opportunity to progress. If we could see more of this progression from the premiership çlubs then the future of England as a top national team would only increase. Sancho for example, man city have let go an England international for Christ's sake!! Ridiculous. Chelsea do it constantly.

rangercol and Hoop-Leif like this.
  15. rangercol

I'm hopefull that these lads can put pressure on their club bosses by saying "I'm playing at the highest level with England, so bloody well pick me".
    It's so refreshing having Southgate in charge isn't it?
    Even when England were completely under the cosh he continued to throw youngsters on.
    I do admit that, the way we play out from the back makes me cover my eyes at times, but it's such a move in the right direction. Time after time we beat Spain's high press by playing out and started a counter attack.
    Southgate is re-engaging fans with the team which is great.

NorwayRanger, QPRski and bobmid like this.
  16. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I didn't see the game, but it must have been a bit special because I found a text when I woke up this morning in Thailand from a mate in Norway asking if I was following what was going on in Spain. I went to BBC news thinking there had been a really bad storm there, or a revolution in Catalonia or something, but no, an England football game!

It always looked in the WC like if Sterling could finish what his runs were starting, England could score a few. Hope this form continues.

Cane, Rashford and Sterling all started, were they playing 4 3 3. I read they played with a LB so have England changed from the 3 5 2?

17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It was a great match.

I rarely get a chance to watch the England friendlies as they coincide with local matches or I need to get a stream. However, this match was on the national Polish sports channel which was refreshing. It could be the Nation's League effect, or possiblily that there was a Polish referee of Mr. Marciniak. :)

Whatever the reason, I am pleased that I watched it as it was a cracker of a match. Plus, very promising for the England team. Apparently Tripper at 28, was the oldest English player on the pitch.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Very true.

This team has potential and plays in an entertaining manner.

Long may it last! :)

rangercol likes this.
  19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Best statistic of the night was we only had one player aged over 25, the energy of youth combined with some raw skill clearly is the way forward. Add to this the quality of the 'World Champion' U20s and U17s and we have a group that will surely eclipse our famous failed 'Golden Generation'...

rangercol likes this.
  20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Only just seen this result, outstanding stuff.

I’d be delighted to see loads more of the English youngsters playing top flight football in the better European leagues. They will be better players as a result.

But well done England, this is a massive result. Southgate is doing things the right way. Even if they didn’t have great world cups, Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina are the teams to judge England against, plus France and Belgium.

Also a huge recommendation for the Nations League, from what Imhave seen this was proper, full blooded football, not a stupid friendly.