1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

To Hull and back

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I go back to the start of last season. We started off playing 442 with Norwood and Jackson. Lambert goes off the partnership and system and earlier this season even said, we can’t play 442 even though fans & others (mick mills being 1) have been calling for it. It is a much simpler system than we’ve been playing, everyone knows what they are supposed to do - e.g. defenders can just defend without having to build up from the back. We may still not win tonight but surely 2 up front has to be maintained

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree and was very annoyed when he said about the 442, however apart from that start to last season we've had very few fit strikers.

Norwood and Jackson carried our form at the start, but we literally had noone to come on to replace them, probably part of the reason why Norwood got injured

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Decent first half. And so it goes on...

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Also anyone noticed the Hull full backs?

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

So close!

Norwood just misses

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Good move subbing Parrott, he can't run anymore and is a passenger after using up all his energy.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Woohoo!

Good win today and a performance worthy of a professional football team.

Well done lads <applause>

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

We beat a team! We beat a good team! We beat a team above us in the table!

And I didn’t watch a minute of it! Maybe I’ll avoid buying the iFollow pass on the weekend too, and we can win that one!

On a lighter note, that’s a much needed win for the club and for Paul Lambert.

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Well tbh like Nuggets I confess I didnt watch or listen apart from 20 mins 1st half.Just shows the disilludionment of hardcore supporters. But..

After all the rumours, negativity, poor management & ownership, a really much needed win tonight.

Well played by the sound of things, perhaps Hull didnt show up tonight.

Can our fortunes change.Players coming back, a zip and fresh spring in our step as often in years gone by, Spring in Suffolk lifts our game and our spirits.
    And ffs Lambert, lets keep simples 442. It works. Prefer our Freddie up front as a pair too.

Strange that most on here predicted a win!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We can expect the press conference to be a massive **** you

11. Nuggets

Credit to the players coming back into the starting line-up after a long period out. Wilson and Nsiala have had a couple of clean sheets and look more solid and dependable than Wolfenden and McGuinness. Kenlock is also playing his heart out at left back over the last few weeks or so, fully deserves to nail down that left-back spot and can hopefully push on and develop his game. The switch to a 4-4-2 is helping to eliminate the passive possession - particularly with Bishop and Dozzell in the middle, who reportedly played well against Hull.

While one swallow doesn't make a summer, it is encouraging that Lambert has actually taken advantage of the club's massive squad depth and changed things around. While I have little confidence we can go on a good run of form, I do wonder if the last couple of results has bought Mr. Lambert some time. I see Pearson has gone to Bristol City, you've got to think it's only a matter of time before another Championship job becomes available and the likes of Paul Cook and the Cowley brothers are snapped up.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We are going nowhere and the odd win and nearly making the play offs is good enough for Evans.

13. Nuggets

Yeah, agreed. I just don't have the confidence that we can build a sustainable run of form and that wins against the better sides in the division will become a regularity. The two upcoming games against Doncaster and Accrington Stanley - although they are not big name clubs, they are in the top seven - may offer a stronger indication of whether we've stumbled upon a winning formula or that last night's win was an exception.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We may have enough about us to get into the play offs. Lambert is clearly going nowhere for this season as long as we remain in play off contention. Maybe it will depend on that in the summer. What happens if we do go up? Does Evans start funding the club properly? What happens if we miss out by a few points? I think these are the concerns now.