1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time Wasting

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Oct 15, 2018.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

-------- or should that be 'wasting my time?'
    You might think I refer to the appalling amount of time-wasting by the Southend players. The antics of their goalkeeper were cringe-worthy. I was surprised, and a little disappointed that the referee didn't issue a couple of cards.
    Peterborough were no better - for a team containing 'giants', it was incredible how weak they were - and the amount of times they fell to the ground ----- but miraculously, each goalscorer was able to bear the weight of several of his team as they piled on top in celebrating each goal !

Whilst I don't particularly enjoy time-wasting, I take exception to WASTING MY TIME. ---- and, of course, I refer to the Gills players !

I have been watching The Gills for a very long time. Many years ago I moved out of Medway due to my job - and yet I continued to make the 100 mile trip just for a Home game. -you'd be entitled to say that I am guilty of wasting my own time. You'd be correct - but, that is what I chose to do ( for now ) - and it has given Mrs. alwaysright some 'peace' on a Saturday afternoon -- but for how much longer ??

I am realistic about the ability of The Gills. I have always understood our limitations. This has been dictated by finance ( or rather, the lack of it. ) Watching The Gills has been a hobby. In my opinion there is ONE hobby which wastes an even greater amount of time - fishing.

But - with any hobby, time-wasting is the decision of the participant. So - despite the fact that I do not expect The Gills to win every game -- just as everyone who goes fishing doesn't expect to land a 'catch', the decision to waste my time is mine. I don't care if YOU want to waste your time - as long as it doesn't affect me !

........... So, I take exception when I see players 'not bothering'

In this instance I refer to the occasion on Saturday, when Elliot List couldn't be bothered ! It was in the 2nd half ( I think with still about 15 minutes to play ) - Mark Byrne was trying to give List a forward ball for him to run onto ( loads of space available ) - but he seemed reluctant ( or incapable ) to move -- and, of course, possession was soon lost......
    I almost forgave List's 'limitations' - but what annoyed me was his total lack of commitment the moment that we lost the ball. He just 'stood there.' He made no effort to try to retrieve the ball - he seemed more interested in having an argument with Byrne - who was gesturing to List how he wanted him to move (( my gesture would have involved only two fingers )).
    List wasn't the only one of the Gills' players to be guilty of not bothering. How many times could Barry Fuller have been given a yellow card for time-wasting ? NO - we weren't 2-0 UP -- we were 0-2 DOWN, in the second half, and nobody in our team seemed capable of moving into a position for Fuller EVERY time he took a throw-in.

Watching The Gills is a hobby / waste of time / waste of money / madness etc. It has always been my choice. We all have hobbies - why ? - one reason should be because we enjoy them. This is the third season in a row where we find ourselves in a relegation battle (( nothing new to me )). This state of affairs is not an enjoyable aspect of my hobby - but, in a 'perverse' way, I can enjoy the challenge -- I am not alone on this one -- just look at the joy on the face of fans (( any team )), who escape relegation on the final day of the season - you'd think that their side had been crowned champions !

The football ( especially at home ), in the last three years, ( and several more in my time ), has been dire. I really am getting tired of watching the bloody ball spending so much time in orbit. It is NOT fun -- so - why did people cheer (jeer), when a Southend player managed to clear the BMS ? - at least he made an effort !

I have considered the merits of continuing to make my long journies just to watch the ball up in the air - but if this is going to be coupled with players not bothering, I may spend more time annoying Mrs.alwaysright rather than the linesman each Saturday. ....................................by the way -why have you wasted your time reading this - you knew I was only going to moan ( it's my equivalent of time-wasting )

AshfordGill, sensiblegreeny and brb like this.
  2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I could have written this about Argo and no doubt a shed load of others could have written it about their club. I keep asking myself why do I do it given the record of disappointment over a very long time. The only answer I can come up with is "what else would I do on a Saturday". At least the chips and a beer are acceptable on the way home and I do enjoy the banter with the people I go with even if my son sometimes looks into his head with that "there goes father again". I find it is less and less about the football and it's standard and more about the social side these days.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

I actually thought first half Gills were good andcwere unlucky not to score. Second half was not great but we had a speel of 10 minutes where we nearly scored which could have changed the game. I have seen a lot worse last season and couple games this season.
    I totally agree with you about List, I shouted RUN. The onlyvplayer with pace and he stood still. I normally like List but on sat was very dissapointed.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Thats more like it List. Made a real difference when came on. Scored 1 and set up Eaves twice.