1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to phase out the experienced trio

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by marc1_007, Oct 1, 2012.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Don't go there Eric. Was thinking of current players only like yesterday.

2. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

Ok :

Evra < Enrique
    Rio < Agger
    Vidic > Skertl
    Rafael > Johnson

<ok>

3. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Both left back are gash tbh

4. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

To be honest I did struggle with the left backs.

When both are at the best then I think Evra is better, however Evra hasn't been at his best for 2 years now.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I'm putting Johnson Left Back for us he's solid in defense in that position and still good going forward. And beats an off form Evra easy.

We'll ignore injuries and just go quality only.

So....Agger beats a current Rio imo
    Skrtel - Vidic Skrtel played well last season but have to agree on Vidic.
    Right back is difficult as Kelly is solid but that Brazilian kid is improving and better going forward where Kelly is a better defender so I'd agree a draw but my heart says Kelly.

Lots of Liverpool fans don't like that kid (forgot his name) but he is improving all the time.

Don't know where Smalling and Jones fit in, Jones has been playing midfield and Smalling hasn't been playing so I've gone for current defenders.

6. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Rafael is his name and being quality is his game <ok> <laugh>

7. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

Evra v Enrique... Draw for me, on form Evra would easily win in my opinion but hes an aging player that has been overused the past few seasons and I think he's paying the price now, Enrique started his Liverpool career well but suddenly seemed to lose it and has looked very shaky ever since.

Rafael v Kelly/Johnson... Rafael all day for me, he's gradually cutting out the rash mistakes and getting better and better, Kelly is a physically strong defender but nothing special if you ask me, he may even be more suited to being moved into the center of the defense, and I personally wouldn't have Johnson anywhere near my defensive lineup, I would move him into midfield, he goes forward far to early constantly leaving the central defenders exposed and often seems to have lapses in concentration letting his man run off his shoulder.

Rio v Agger... Rio has been a great servant, but he isn't aging well and injuries have taken their toll so this one would go to Agger.

Vidic v Skrtel... Skrtel can be very hit or miss for me, when he has a good game he is good, but when he has an off day, which is surprisingly common these days, he commits far too many silly fouls in very dangerous areas, Vidic may of been out for a while but when fit he's still one of the best defenders in the world.

May as well do the other notable players just for the ake of it I suppose.

Smalling v Coates... For me this is easy, I have never been convinced by Coates at all and I think Smalling is definitely the future of England's defense, he should of been a regular in the squad long before his injury and not at right back.

Jones v Carragher... While I can't stand Carra he's been an excellent defender for Liverpool over the years, unfortunately he has aged worse than Rio, he was never the quickest but now has almost no pace left at all and that forces him to commit foul after foul, as for Jones I think he will become a good defensive or box to box midfielder in time, he reminds me a lot of a young Fletcher with his energy, work rate and sheer determination, Carra at his peak was much better a defender than Jones currently is but at this moment in time (when not injured of course) the athleticism of Jones wins for me.

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Fair assessment but I would put Johnson Left Back and he then beats Evra, he's more solid defensivley and still good going forward.

9. Psycho2k

Psycho2k Active Member

I still stick by my assessment of Johnson I wouldn't want him playing defense, I would move him in to the midfield, I would rather England did the same and stop playing Milner on the right too. As for left back, personally I think Buttner has the potential to be better than Evra this season, I've seen him play a few games in Holland and he does look a lot like a young Evra but I will reserve judgement until he's played more first team games for United.