1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to make a stand?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Sensible

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Hong Kong saint called it as well to be fair .

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’m in that 40-50 age group ( I know, you can’t tell) and I agree with you. The chap 4 seats from me was 50+ and a disgrace. His use of the C word was awful and the only reason I didn’t say anything was it probably would have ended badly.

I did apologise to the young lady sat next to me on his behalf.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

To be honest guys and gals.............Conclusions should not be drawn because of age. If a person has an opinion he or she should be allowed to share that opinion without criticism. People of all ages have things to contribute, whether from experience or from personal knowledge. That sadly is life........... although granted there are bigots at all ages. Each generation will have people to blame who they disagree with. Youngsters today will face the same sort of criticism when and if they reach what is to be considered old age............... You may not think so but you will mark my words..........

5. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Les and Ralph. The transfer window. Cortese. Protesting. None of that matters for the next 10 weeks. None of it. Between now and May, we've got what we've got and we have to live with it. Only two things do matter.

One, getting behind the team.

Two, getting rid of the manager.

And yes, the second thing would greatly assist with the first. I know certain people will say that it shouldn't make any difference, but it does. When you've got someone so utterly inept in charge, who picks an XI at home to Brighton as if it's away to Man Utd, it does make it difficult to give wholehearted support. I largely disagreed with the stick that the players were getting yesterday. It was hardly their fault that they had to keep on turning around and passing backwards, due to lack of options. Yes lots of them aren't of the sort of quality (or rather, consistent quality, in a lot of cases) that we would like, but if you stick a manager in there who is positive, then getting behind those "sub-standard" (that's a harsh phrase, and I'm sure there is better terminology) for the next 10 weeks becomes a whole lot easier.

(Of course, is the second thing ever going to happen? Well at some point it has to surely, if we don't turn this around. But my really big fear now is that it will come too late. If we lose on Saturday, and still have him in charge come the start of March, I don't see us staying up.)

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The atmosphere at SMS hasn’t been great since last season, with fans being very quick to voice their discontent, with some individual players being singled out for scathing criticism that becomes too personal.
    The players are a collective and there will be several thinking “There but for the grace of God...etc”. They will be hurting that one or more of their own are being subjected to over the top abuse.
    They know how fickle the support can be and how quickly the wrath of the fans can be visited on themselves, when they have a bad game or make an error, costly or not.
    Which brings me to the point of this post.
    We often hear the expression “They’re not playing for the manager”, but how often do we hear the expression “They’re not playing for the fans”?
    I don’t think that is the case, well not consciously, but I do wonder if they are subconsciously holding back just a little bit, and playing safety first football, mainly because they fear becoming the next whipping boy, and heaven knows the fans love a whipping boy or two at SFC.
    A close up of Davis, just after the coin toss, made me think he was swallowing a mouthful of sick. He really did look that tense. If our most experienced player is being affected by “stage fright” then who knows how many others are feeling this way?
    It’s going to be a long way back without the full backing of the fans, which is why I have posted in the new matchday thread, that I feel we might perform better on our travels where the support is better, from the small group that have followed them away.
    I have followed the Saints since the 60s, and haven’t yet lost that love, but I do have different priorities now, to those I had when younger.
    I will be disappointed if we are relegated, but, for me, it won’t be the end of the world.

7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I am sane, old and occasionally a tory voter. I don't boo at games. I do go off on one though occasionally :)

8. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

48 for me, I'm not old...my mind is a 20 year old, body of a 30 year old, hair of a 15 year old :)

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  9. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

MP2 should`ve been gone after 12 games - there were no positives he could lay claim too. The board evidently are not going to make a change - they`ve brought in his man Carillo. Anyway, we can still avoid relegation, and walk-outs, banners etc won`t help the performance on the pitch. I`m concerned what happens at the end of the season, whether we stay up or not. things aren`t right at board/owner level, and it doesn`t bode well for next season.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Gotta love Saintsweb... a poster on there is suggesting a boycott of an away game as a protest <laugh><doh>

Archers Road likes this.

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's 13 league games left. If we were to lose one after another, after another, I am certain he would eventually get sacked. So I can't buy that the board won't make a change, and that we're stuck with him until May come rain or shine.

But just how bad do things have to get; just how deep into those 13 games we have to go? That I've got no idea. And as I've said elsewhere, it could happen too late to save us anyway.

12. AberdeenSaint

Agree - but but if he does eventually get sacked, then it`ll be too late for anyone to save matters. I made the point previously, what would be worse, doing nothing, or waiting until it`s too late, then sacking him ?

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

So much this - 100% with you there Brendy.

14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am too old for this fan protest lark, it never worked in the past (or did it for Lowe?) and I doubt it will work now. My take on the Board situation is that Kat seems to have ditched her Directorship for a reason? This has left Les Reed as a Director on both Boards, with virtual absolute control and no one to slap him down when he gets things wrong, which he clearly has done this time, not for the first time. I don't encourage walk outs, or boycotts because that always seems to harm the wrong targets. For the Club to get back on track there has to be a major change and I hope the Chinese owner sees the light and gets his own people in to run the Club, but would he know any football people that could take up the challenge, I doubt it. Whatever, nothing is going to happen quickly and I see plenty of grief before any significant improvement.

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

A penny for the thoughts of Mr Gao.

16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

And it wasn't "chav." From your description, he was more of a cretin. Wonder if his children / grandchildren were there to see his behaviour. He is probably a guy who is angry about everything, immigration, people on benefit, the EU and so on, so his angst at the ground is just an extension.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I think Sunderland were in an een worse situation and left it very late when they appointed de Canio! If the club are thinking of the long term, I hope they can persuade Graham Murty to come and manage Southamptn FC at the end of the season.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

What's your obsession with Murty Ides?

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Hope you can wait a looooong time !

20. AberdeenSaint

Nothing against him, but not for me, thanks.
    Here`s the wage structure in Scotland, average salary per player:
    1. Celtic - £750k
    2. Rangers - £350k
    3. Aberdeen - £140k
    So he should be doing better than he is.
    Rangers seem to agree, otherwise they`d have him on contract after the end of this season.