1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time to act whilst in a strong position

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Well another 3 points playing poorly.Don’t see what Semenyo brings to the team,needs a season out on loan in league 1.Certainly not championship standard.We sit in a great position with major injuries and players out for the season.
    Chris Honour summed it up perfectly when Afobe got injured the season felt like it ended,he was the difference between a top finish or not.
    City have the international break and must bring a goalscorer in now.
    We need to improve whilst in a good position and not wait until January.30 points are there for the taking.
    Stoke we rode our luck.
    Brentford we rode our luck.
    Reading we rode our luck.

Get that goalscorer in now and hopefully Benik will be back to help out later in the season and the dream could come true.

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Afobe has gone back to Stoke now and not registered to us.
    So how are we going to have him back when fit towards the end of the season unless we loan him again in January?

3. Red Robin

Not true still with city decisions too be made, apparently if he has a chance off coming back before the seasons end he stays with us.

4. RedorDead

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

6. RedorDead

7. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is go out and get a player nobody else wants

8. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

That’s the trouble isn’t it , as much as people are saying we should bring someone in now, what’s the point, there isn’t likely to be a quality goalscorer out of contract.

9. Red Robin

Nope look at the defender that was plucked out of the air,top quality been absolutely fantastic.

The club will have someone in mind and I’m sure LJ wants one in now.

10. RedorDead

Are you really that stupid?
    Come January or summer it will be harder to get a proven goal scorer to a defender. So that shows they are harder to source at any time let alone out of contract players.
    We was lucky with Williams, how many 35 year old forwards are out there.
    I know you’re going to come back with Bony but the reason he’s not been used up is his wage demands.

11. Loathsneyd

The window closed over a month ago anyone decent like Williams would have been snapped up by now . There is a reason why these players are still without a club this far into the season

12. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

So what do we think the reason is? My take is that too many Championship clubs are only interested in signing players with a future sell on value, so Williams and co are no longer wanted as they don’t fit the bill, and of course some of them still have major delusions of grandeur over their worth. Which I suspect is the case with Bony.

We only took the gamble on Williams due to injuries leaving us very short of experience in central defence. We now are in the same position with strikers, so why wouldn’t we gamble on a Hooper or Bony I’d we could get them to sign to the end of the season? A win for both parties, surely?

Red Robin likes this.
  13. Red Robin

We need someone now.

Hooper would be my choice and the way to go about this is play and pay+ bonus on goals.

14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

LEE answered the question on EFL …" there is a reason these players are there, ! " and likely any half tidy were snapped up by mid September.
    whats the rumour about a Belgian side after Williams?

15. Loathsneyd

There’s a Belgium side after Williams

RedorDead and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  16. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

According to the Post we will have to pay Afobe's wages for the whole season, regardless of the injury. I think the decision about whether he stays with us while in rehab has no effect on that - we have to pay either way.

LJ made some throwaway comment about insurance which suggested it might be possible that we had cover. It wasn't queried by the interviewer so it isn't very clear.
    There must be a chance with someone like Bony that the same could happen again. He hasn't had a good injury record recently. Is it worth the risk of throwing away good money unless he would sign a pay-as-u-play deal?

17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It’s REALLY unfortunate about Afobe - what an excellent fit he was with our setup!!
    LJ won’t get just anyone in - they have to fit the mentality of the club as well as being a half decent player.
    I don’t know what Bony’s wage demands are, but they would be offset against the fact he’s free - but also that he would most likely move on for free after spending half a season with us, meaning that most likely his wages would have to be written off.

18. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

This is not an easy decision - take a free agent player who may take a few weeks to get up to speed or wait until January

I guess Bony is now the obvious one - back in the day he was VERY good - however in the last 2-3 years he's barely played. He will cost a lot of money in wages and will be a gamble.

There are 14 league fixtures remaining in 2019 plus the game on New Years Day

As I said not an easy decision

19. Red Robin

42 POINTS that is a lot of points to play for before January 2020 need a striker now.We have been lucky over the last three games.

smhbcfc likes this.
  20. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Yes and I think that I am leaning that way.
    However if we go for someone now and it does not work out (due to lack of fitness etc etc) then does that tie our hands in January? That's my reservation.