1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Time is right for Modric to leave Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by 67RDH06, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 67RDH06

67RDH06 New Member

Luka Modric is a class act. There is no getting away from that fact. His form, particularly over the past two seasons, has not only highlighted his considerable talents to a wider audience, but also helped Tottenham become a genuine top four contender. I think now however that the time has come for Modric to move on and negotiate a move away from White Hart Lane.

Since signing his first long-term contract with Dinamo Zagreb in 2005, (a huge 10 year deal), Modric has gone from to strength to strength. Winning the league three times in a row with Zagreb from 05/06 to 07/08, Modric established himself as one of the teams most important players, an effective and hard-working central playmaker who can also operate on the left wing. He could also chip in with a goal or two, (13 in his final season with Zagreb), and provided plenty of assists for his team-mates, 22 in his last two seasons with the Croatian side. This form earned Modric a move to the Premier League with Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2008 for £16.5 million. Despite being deployed in a more defensive midfield role during his initial period with Spurs, since Harry Redknapp took the reins at White Hart Lane Modric has been pushed a lot further forward and is now the main instigator for a lot of Tottenham's more effective and probing attacks. Modric has also added defensive qualities to his game in more recent times, tracking back regularly to help regain possession of the ball. All in all, Modric has played 157 games for Tottenham in the last four years, scoring 17 and assisting 26 times and it is these sort of figures and style of play that have made him a firm favourite with the Spurs faithful.

I feel though that it is time for Modric to move away from Tottenham. Last summer there were constant stories of Modric moving, with an estimated £40 million bid from Chelsea rejected on the final day of the transfer window. Daniel Levy and Harry Redknapp managed to persuade Modric to stay and help Tottenham fight for a Champions League place and although Modric missed the first game of the season, (a loss at Old Trafford to Manchester United), because his, 'head was not in the right place', he played a vital part in propelling Tottenham up the table to 3rd place in February 2012 and after a 5-0 mauling of Newcastle United at home, there was even talk of Spurs becoming genuine title challengers. Following the resignation of Fabio Capello from the England manager's role however, Tottenham's form took a nose dive amid numerous reports that Redknapp was a shoo-in for the role. By the end of the season Tottenham had only just managed to cling onto 4th spot, falling behind their rivals Arsenal. Chelsea's success in Munich though meant that Tottenham now do not qualify for the Champions League next season and will again be competing in the Europa League.

This will not please Modric and certainly won't help Tottenham's cause in keeping him. Modric stayed last season despite serious interest from both Chelsea and Manchester United, showing his loyalty and willingness to achieve something with Spurs. Although perhaps Modric did want to move on, his hard work and determined performances have shown that he will not sulk and that he will give all he has for his team. Any top drawer player wants to play in the Champions League also, so it is only right that Modric feels he should also, as his form over the past few years has shown him to be one of the best midfielders in the country. There is also a little bit of uncertainty over Harry Redknapp's future and this will make Modric think twice as hard about moving, as no player likes doubt and rumours peppering their pre-season and following league campaign.

According to reports there are plenty of clubs that have shown an interest in Modric this post-season, namely Manchester United, Chelsea and PSG. A hefty price tag will have to be paid for his services, but Modric will be worth it to whoever he chooses to join and Tottenham and their fans can not be-grudge him the chance to move on.

* * * An Offside Vista * * *

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

**** me!! This blokes's got more front than Blackpool!!

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I closed the last one because he didn't post anything and just linked to his blog, NSIS.
    He's posted the full article now and it doesn't appear to be a WUM attempt, so I don't have a problem with it, moderation wise.

4. what is the point of this stupid "article" other than promote some blog that no one on this board will ever visit on sheer principle?

5. I don't think the thread should be closed down, I just think it's pointless.

All the poster is saying is: Modric wanted to leave to play CL football last season, and there's a good chance that he'll try the same this season, but anyone who wants to buy him will have to pay top dollar.

WE ALL ****ING WELL KNOW THAT!

So, please, just go away!

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

:( Modric is a dik..hes obviously forgotten when his dad made him wooden shin pads because they couldnt afford any.

and now his kid can afford anything.

whilst me and you still remain working class folk with more in common with his dad than him..

and this kunt is isnt humble enough to see that...instead he wants more of the fans money in his bank...out of principle be it at our club or another.

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. I didn't see the first one as it had already been closed. It still looks like he's taking the piss, though.

8. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

He shouldn't have signed a 6 year deal and taken the big pay hike that came with it if he wanted to be able to leave at the drop of a hat. You're painting a picture of Modric being very proffessional but in reality he tried to force a move to Chelsea last summer. He didn't show loyalty in the face of the interest, he refused to play at one point and he stayed because Levy didn't budge and Chelsea pissed him off by putting in derisory bids and leaking them to the press. The fact that you seem to think his behaviour of essentially turning up to his job that he's paid millions for is anything to crow about just shows that you're totally skewed. Don't praise Modric, criticise the pricks that go on permanent strike after they've been tapped up to force a move.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think he means to, but he's got various things wrong and his conclusion's just bizarre.
    Modric pushed a lot further forward? Not really, he's often quite deep, actually.
    Quoting his assists and goals as points in his favour, when they don't reflect his influence on games.
    Claiming that he deserves Champions League football, whilst failing to notice that he was in the team that didn't earn it.

Tottenham and their fans can not be-grudge him the chance to move on?
    Why not?
    He signed a long contract, so why shouldn't we expect him to honour it?

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. His argument is fairly simple to pick holes in. If it weren't such a blatant publicity exercise, then I would be more inclined to respond to it.

11. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

If he wants to stay and discuss this with us then it's worth keeping open but otherwise there's really no benefit to this as I'd expect we're all unanimous in disagreeing with the article. We'll just have to see whether he turns back up to talk about it, I guess.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

we might disagree but it shouldnt be closed....even though we are all sick of it.

i believe that as soon as the Euros ends for Croatia we will all see that the rat hasnt changed...and wether he gets what he wants or not he wont say anything that will make us feel better.

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

More importantly. A quote from somebody who IS happy at Spurs. VDV.."there's always interest, but I'm happy in England, and I want to stay" so unless Levy is keen to sell him to a rival, he ain't going anywhere.

14. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

a fulham fan saying we should sell Modric,he should worry about Demble,being sold,instead of another clubs players

15. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Does anyone else remember Modric playing as a defensive mid? I don't. Deep lying, but never defensive.

16. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

I read that one Man U supporter thinks buying Modric would be a mistake and I can only agree with him. One he says the price is too high and for my part I don't think that he's a Utd player. I thought the same about Blerb,he didn't fit in. Modric is good yes but has anonymous spells which won't keep him in the Utd first team.

17. I've got to say this (and it pains me doing so), but I don't think Modric is the player that would make the difference to a championship-winning side.

Yes, he makes a difference to our squad, because we don't pay the wages to have 15 other players like him (in terms of creativity and technique), across the park, filling all positions. If we did, he'd only play half the games that he was fit to play. That's how it will be for him at Chavski or United. Plus, he'll have the added pressure that if he fails to impress for two games running, he'll be benched for at least one.

I've said it many times before, but if we can get £30 million for him, I'd take it, and move on.

18. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

HiaG,you are spot on.I couldn't find the words to say that I don't think Modric will make a difference at Man U,that's perfectly put.
    LDL,Fergie still wants him according to all reports but £30 and he's yours. Spot on Hod.

19. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

only 30 quid,i'll have 2 please

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that Modric is a vital part of the current side, and I would hate to see him leave. Having said that, I have always maintained that it's ultimately pointless trying to hang on to an unhappy, unsettled, player. If he really is that keen to move on, then fine, we get the highest price we can, and find the best replacement available. Should we actively be eliciting bids for him! Most certainly not, IMO.