1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

The cups and medals from those cup wins will probably have been lost when the main stand at the Anlaby Road ground burnt down in 'mysterious circumstances' in the 1930's. Which reminds me, what happened to the campaign to get an information board about the old ground and actually pointing out where it was which was supposed to be getting sited outside the KComm ?
    And don't get me on about a similar scheme which was supposed to have been included in the plans for the housing estate which stands where Boothferry Park once proudly stood.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  2. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

I suspect it's a victim of the pissing contest between the Allams and the Council, as they both want to avoid making the other look good (see the poor state of the stadium for more examples of this race to the bottom), and both probably think they are spiteing the other by failing to recognise the old ground.

Blue plaques at the old ground or the Manchester Hotel anyone?

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  3. Tickton Tiger.

No blue plaques at the old place or the Manny Arms, but one on Newland Park where someone who wrote a book on bee keeping lived for a couple of years.

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs, but Hull Civic Society are key players in it, and they've shown little if any interest in City when things have been put to them.

5. Tickton Tiger.

I have put things to them too, all City related of course. At the time I wrote in their newsletter ( I was a HCS member) that such an iconic and important building like Boothferry Park and the best and highest floodlights in Europe should be recognised in some way. They were more interested in saving a smoke house for kippers at the time, and we had several of those. But the hypocrites that they were invited Adam Pearson to speak to them about the plans for the new stadium at a ticket event held at Royal Station Hotel, they were interested in Hull City that day and were fawning all over him.

DMD likes this.
  6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

7. City Man

We all have dreams, and I still hope to see some my remaining ones come true before I snuff it.

Nowhere near the top, but nevertheless on the list is to have a City fan as leader of the Council, or at least have some influential voices in the corridors of power at the Guildhall. Then we might get some kind of support, recognition or meaningful assistance for HCFC.

We had Geraghty who claimed once to have been a regular attendee @BP when he was a lad, but seems to have ditched any allegiance many decades ago.

Now we have the likes of cockney social worker Daren Hale or Kath Lavery (nice gable end mural(ad) btw for hubsy's book about Big Lil ) calling the shots. Surely a Hull council should be firmly behind a pan Hull unifying entity as our football team that has put this city on the map like never before in its history in the last ten years?

I don't believe Allamphobia has impacted their stance massively; just think they could 'support' our club far more visibly than they have done.

Blue plaques are a good start.

8. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Agree with most of what you have said . However , don't knock Lil B who was an important part of the history of our City during the 60 's and 70 's even if a council leader is advertising a relative's book .

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  9. City Man

Are you on drugs?

I didn't knock Big Lil: I questioned the ethicalness of commemorating what she achieved by using the title of a book by a councillor's husband)

10. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Certainly not . I have sent you a PM though .

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Send me one too.

I've had a small ,part in the big lil story, well one of her relatives...

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I was there when these floodlights were first used, after the lighting before, it was like playing and watching a daylight.

C'mon ref likes this.
  13. City Man

Wonder where my post about Bryan Calam went?

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Something different thread, it had already been covered.

15. City Man

Another blue plaque spotted today.

In station, on wall next to ticket office, a plaque commemorating the two wooden railway offices which used to be near there for many decades up until 2006.

(I'm guessing these used to be those two offices next to the bus station which were used by National and KHCT for booking excursions etc)

As far as I am aware, they had zero importance historically, culturally, architecturally or any other -ally, and it's mystifying why they have a plaque when the site of that old recently demolished music hall down Midland st doesn't

16. Tickton Tiger.

Or the old ABC building where The Stones and The Beatles played.

17. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Could see these being put up from our classroom window, Wheeler St, after a particularly stormy night we looked out of the classroom window one morning to see one section, erected the day before, hanging down, held on by some cable. Saw the first game when they were switched on, and like had been mentioned it was like daylight during the night. I think, although I'm sure that I will be corrected if wrong, that they were the best floodlights in country at the time, including Wembley.

18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

When crowds were crowds.

19. City Man

And Arsenal were still a football club with a normal fanbase.

What a turning point in the history of both clubs that day was.

We got cheated out of a Cup Final appearance and possible Cup win, in the days when that competition was more glamorous and prestigious than the league.

Arsenal went on to win the Cup and become a force in English football in the 30s (before then they were nowt special).

It took us 78 year more years to get to Wembley, and by then the game had changed beyond all recognition, Arsenal being a Top 4 side, us going through receiverships, winding up orders and all manner of bad ****.

Same old Arsenal - always cheating.

20. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

The first of two occasions when we reached a Cup semi final and were relegated that May.