1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Over the years we have done well in the goalkeeper department, starting with Billy Bly, although as I understand, not all have been successful, from what I have read on these forums. McKecknie was originally a winger with Arsenal, but his comments provided us lads with free oranges.

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

If I had to choose 2 from my time watching City, which is 60 years, Tony Norman and Alan McGregor would probably be my pick. However, Mike William's was always a favourite of mine.

3. C'mon ref

Do you remember Les Green John? Bit on the small side for a goalie, played for us but then went to Derby managed by Brian Clough at the time.

4. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

No, the name doesn't ring any bells.

5. mazzer

mazzer Well-Known Member

I remember Les Green signed in early sixties for about a season or so but made only a handful of appearances for us.

C'mon ref likes this.
  6. C'mon ref

That's the one Mazzer, although I cannot remember how his stint at Derby worked out. (Mr Google has helped out via Wikipedia and corrects my assuption that he went to Derby from us)

Atherstone Town
    Les Green started out at a young age playing for youth teams around his hometown of Atherstone. He played for Atherstone Boys Club, Mancetter and Baddesley Colliery before being snapped up by local team Atherstone Town.

Green then decided to try to make it with a professional team, so he managed to get a trial with Arsenal. Unfortunately for Green, he never made the grade because manager George Swindin said he was too short at 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m).

Hull City
    Following this Hull City came calling for Green's services and he signed for The Tigers in 1960. Following 4 appearances Green returned to Non-League football with Nuneaton Borough.

Burton Albion
    After three years with Boro, Green joined Burton Albion under the management of Peter Taylor.

Hartlepool United
    After just three months with the Brewers, Green followed Taylor to Hartlepool United where he made 34 appearances over the course of two seasons.

Rochdale
    1967 saw Green on the move again, this time playing for Rochdale under Bob Stokoe

Derby County
    Green was at The Dale for just over one season and made 44 appearances before for the third time in his career he was reunited with Peter Taylor but this time at Derby County in 1968.

The season Green joined a team that was changing for the better under Clough and Taylor's management. He was part of Football League Second Division winning team and the side that was in constant dispute with Leeds United due to the Clough/Revie rivalry.

Durban City
    In 1971 Green decided to leave top flight English football for National Football League side Durban City in South Africa. During his time with the Golden Boys, Green played with the likes of Alan Skirton, Bernd Patzke and Johnny Byrne. Green also had the pleasure of playing alongside Stanley Matthews in a rare guest appearance - when the man himself was into his 50's.

Sadly Green's leg was badly broken in a clash with Bobby Viljoen in a crunch derby game against arch-rivals Durban United which ended his playing career.

Green's last game was a testimonial match for former Derby County goalkeeper Martin Taylor in a game against Everton on 14 May 1997. The game ended 4-1 to The Rams.[1]

Management career
    Following Green’s retirement from football – he stayed in South Africa at Durban City as assistant manager until returning to England to take on the role of Commercial Manager at former side Nuneaton Borough.

Green went on to become manager of Nuneaton Borough. He then went on to manage a string of Non-League clubs Hinckley Town, Tamworth and Bedford.

Personal life
    Green is married to Heidi, the daughter of a Natal farmer, whom he met whilst residing in South Africa. Green has a son called Simon.

Death
    On 30 June 2012, Green died of cancer at Loros Hospice near Leicester, aged 70.[2] After the news of his death, former teammates from the world of football paid tribute to him. John McGovern, who played with Green at both Hartlepool and Derby County said, "I went to see him a few days ago and he was in a poor way but I'm glad I went, because we managed to have a last couple of laughs together. He was an incredible character."[3]

7. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

I thought Fettis was class for us at the time. Probably helped by the fact most of his teammates were absolute ****e.

I remember a game I'm sure was a mid week. Fettis was in the south stand goal and I was up on the seats. The oppo player rifled a low shot into the bottom corner and Fettis at full stretch managed to just finger tip it round the post.

We all broke out in gasps and applause only for the ref to point for a goal kick.

What the **** the daft twat thought we were applauding I don't know.

8. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

A deaf as well as blind ref then, Very rare.

HHH likes this.
  9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  10. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of Mike Williams and wrote to the Sportsmen Say column in the Hull Daily Mail suggesting that he should be replaced by Maurice Swan - by coincidence MW dropped a terrible clanger in a 0-2 defeat by Peterborough on the same day that the letter was published. Go me! My best ever bit of punditry.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I was young in those days and from memory, he dived around a lot which I liked to see. Maybe wasn't the best keeper, but was agile.

12. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

I can't really remember much about him - I do remember being surprised when I found out that he was Welsh, I'd always assumed that he was a local lad.

13. mazzer

mazzer Well-Known Member

Mike Williams was a local lad born in hull. His dad Johnny Williams was physio and coach for Hull KR.

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Apologies if this has already been posted. Just stumbled on it looking for something else.

12.05.1912 Hull City 2 - 0 Tottenham Hotspur
    Brussels

The Belgian Charity Cup- Beddeker Cup
    Hull City retaining the trophy.

There's a bit about the first game further down too.

http://gottfriedfuchs.blogspot.com/search/label/Hull City

15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Great find that Dutch.
    Interesting the teamnamed didn't feature any local players, maybe one as it doesn't say where he Is from.

DMD likes this.
  16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

For those that can't open links, here's the rest of it.

Hull City supporters at The Boulevard, 1904
    Hull City A.F.C. were founded on 28 June 1904. Kingston upon Hull was a Northern Union (Rugby League) stronghold, and previous attempts to establish Association in the city had failed.
    The club was formed too late in the year to apply for membership of the Football League, so in their first season they played only friendly matches. The early matches were played at The Boulevard, home of rugby side Hull FC. This groundsharing scheme (costing the football club £100 a year) soon ended . They began their League career playing at The Circle, a cricket ground, and in 1906 established a stadium at Anlaby Road.
    There were 6,000 at The Boulevard to see City's first match, a 2-2 draw with Notts County on 1st September 1904.

The white jerseys were soon abandoned in favour of black and amber stripes
    Hull's prompt elevation to The Football League reflects the way in which the League actively promoted clubs in Yorkshire in order to challenge the dominance of Rugby League and get a share of a lucrative market.
    City played their first League match on September 2nd 1905, beating Barnsley 4-1 at The Circle.
    Here's the Hull line up:

GK
    Martin Spendiff

From North Shields, Spendiff joined City from Grimsby Town.

FB
    Ambrose Langley

This was Langley’s last season in the Football League- he joined Hull from The Wednesday, where he had spent 11 seasons. He featured in the League Championship winning sides of 1903 and 1904. He was player manager and was in charge of City until 1913. He later managed Huddersfield Town.

FB
    Tom Jones

This was Shropshire born Jones’ only season of League football.

HB
    Bill Martin

Just 4 League appearances for Londoner Martin in 1905-06. He joined from Millwall Athletic and moved back south to join Clapton Orient for the following season.

HB
    William Robinson

Robinson joined Hull having made just 1 League appearance for Manchester City.
    He played 119 League matches for Hull before moving on to Bolton Wanderers in 1908.

HB
    Davy Gordon

10 seasons at Hull having joined from Leith Athletic. Played 270 games for Hull and later managed Hibernian and Hartlepools United.

OR
    George Rushton

Previous League experience with Burslem Port Vale.

IR
    George Spence

The second Scotsman in the team, Spence started off at St Mirren. He played League football for Gainsborough Trinity and Preston North End, punctuated with spells with a variety of Southern League clubs. Returned to Scotland (Clyde) after one season at Hull, Scored Hull’s first ever league goal.

CF
    David 'Soldier' Wilson

Boer War veteran Wilson began his professional career in Scotland (he was an Englishman), Transferred to Leeds City in December 1905. Died of a heart attack he suffered when playing during the Leeds City v Burnley match on 27.10.06.

IL
    Peter Howe

15 goals in 32 League matches- later joined Leeds City.

OL
    Andrew Raisbeck

Scotsman- was at Liverpool along with his legendary brother, Alec, but never made the first team. Emigrated to Canada after 2 season at Hull.

17. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Don't tell Fuchsy, but that pic is Rovers fans at the old Craven Park

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It'll be City fans that had robbed the club shop. <ok>

19. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Arf!

20. x

x Well-Known Member

futher info:
    1911 May 7 in Brussels: beat Swindon 1-0 (Chapman) to win it.
    1912 May 12 in Brussels: beat Spurs 2-0 (Best, Fazackerley) to retain it.
    1913 May 11 beat Racing Club of Brussels 6-0 (Halligan 4, Gordon, W.Wright) to retain it again.