1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jimmy Graham's bald head

Jimmy Graham's bald head Well-Known Member

Now I may be making this up as I'd have only been 5 or 6 at the time but in my memory of the first few City games I went to - mid 80s - someone (one of the players?) would boot a load of plastic footballs into the crowd for kids to have at the beginning of the game. Did this really happen?

Oh and I used to love eye of a tiger - think there were 3 holes of varying sizes - a shirt for the biggest, £100 quid for medium and the car for the tigers eye as you say

2. dem_on

dem_on Member

There were 2 games in June 1971 and Chillo was in both starting line-ups .I saw the Sydney game but not the Melbourne game a week later.England won 1-0 in both games and Waggy wasn't in a starting Eleven in either but I'm not sure if he got on the field in the Melbourne game.

I too was a member of South Sydney Juniors but only up to 1975 when I left Sydney.

3. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Thank you as it explains the non-recollection. My husband was on a 2 month overseas business trip in 1971 covering May/June. He worked in ICI Australia Sydney office at that time.

4. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Here is my husband's recollection of the Chelsea v Hull City FA Cup 6th Rd Match in 1966. He is very loquacious so will edit as he relates it. Quote:

" This was to be my last match I saw the Tigers play before leaving England and it marked 20 yrs of active support since I watched my first match in 1946. I was completing 3 yrs work in London and it was my first visit to Stamford Bridge.
    Wearing a Plate-sized Tigers rosette I was positioned among Chelsea supporters behind Bonetti's goal and they were a friendly lot especially as they gave us the runround inthe first half and turned round 2-0 up.Things continued much the same after the interval but the Tigers who had entered this match at the top of their league,came more into the game and a goal by Wagstaff brought a complete change in the match with City on top. A second Wagstaff goal levelled it up and Chelsea hung on for the draw.
    All the goals were scored at the opposite end to where I was standing which is where the bulk of the travelling supporters were.I remember being emotionally drained at the end and was one of the last people to leave the ground.

That evening, adrenalin charged and proudly wearing my rosette I went to the Hammersmith Palais. Around 10pm the MC appeared on stage with half a dozen Chelsea players who had played that afternoon . One of the Chelsea players spotted my rosette, had a word with the MC and I was invited up onto the stage and subsequently went backstage with them for a brief chat.Before leaving me they signed the back of my rosette which I have today. Names include Harris,Tambling, Venables and Osgood. They also congratulated me on the Tigers performance saying it was a hard match and that they were in for another in the replay.

I was working out 3 months notice at my work in London and didn't make the replay but that matchday in London will never leave my memory and without a doubt it was my proudest day as a Tigers fan."

5. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

You'll all remember the 4 Houses - Alcock, Gee, Wilberforce and Marvell? (I was in Gee)

The Unofficial Motto was: "Gee, Wilberforce is a Marvell - Alcock and no balls".

6. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Thank your husband for his stories from all of us Mrs BMB. One thing that comes over strongly is the camaraderie between supporters of different clubs in those days. He would find the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge very different now.
    Generally I was thinking about some of the famous games we haven't had stories about so far and the obvious ones to me are the Wembley match (I know it's well documented on the internet, but personal memories are better) and what about the City - Liverpool cup match we lost 3-2 with Edwards and Whitehurst scoring?

7. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

It is indeed ... just remember that despite all the snide remarks to the contrary.

8. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Its a bug we 'old uns' will have to bare but the KC wins out as they reached the pinnacle of the football world in England, the Premier League. And as much as I would like to say we of the Boothferry Park era cannot match that however many games we remember from those days, and there were some fabulous ones.

From my own perspective from 1958 until we moved to the KC (lousy atmosphere) the road has been long and arduous but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. From a lad on Bunkers Hill/South Stand to the more prosaic KC seats its been a hell of a ride, especially away from home. Yes it would be nice to be back in the Premier League but not at the expense of being whipping boys again or perceived whipping boys.

9. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Just struck gold by finding this lot on t’internet. http://www.hullcitypics.com/BoothferryParkPhotos/QuotesBoothferryParkMemoriesPage.html
    Including one or two familiar posters.
    Stoke City in the cup we were 2 up with 2 waggy goals and I said to my dad who do we want in the semi final.He said hang on son it's noy over yet!The place was packed magic atmosphere they got a throw in by the south stand that should have been ours and scored the rest is history.Gordon Banks in goal for Stoke.If I live to be 120 years old I'll never forget that day!!! ----- From John Firth
    My memories of the last derby v scunny at boothferry park 0-0 with 2 minutes to go and 2-0 after 90 minutes great game ----- From James Chestnay
    Richard Peacock's volley against Huddersfield, far post in the NE corner on a very Cold boxing day.
    Linton Browns hat-trick (was it in 9 mins)
    Steve Morans hat-trick
    4-4 against Barnet or dear Willow.
    Alan Fettis' tap in right in front of the South Stand
    - From UTigers

Half a mile long queues at the tuck shop in South stand.Who can forget TigerCola? 30p at the ground,about 16p in Kwik Save! I used to kick the empty can about at half time with my mate at the bottom of South Stand when I was 10 or 11.My Dad made me a periscope when I first went so I could see the game over the heads.Looking back I bet it annoyed a few.Who cares, I saw my first glimpse of Hull City through that wooden periscope and then I was hooked.Loved the night games.Always a Tuesday.My Dad filled his car with me, my brother and a few tag along friends.Great atmosphere.Massive floodlights, the smell of bovril, laughing at some of the characters in South stand which included a sargeant Burnside lookalike (The Bill).Remember the Kempton corner turnstyles set on fire during a firework display.My first ever match my dad took me and my brother to, we were lifted over the turnstyles as we were late and they had closed them.My Dad gave them hell so they lifted us over.Wonder where the money went? ha ha... We may not have much history in the sense of Trophys but I could easily fill this whole website with memories of Boothferry Park... Twydale Turkeys anyone? Those giants as half time entertainment? Reverend Bagshaws sing a long at Christmas? Im certain the crowd joined in one season....
    Goodbye Boothferry Park. I for one will certainly miss you ----- From Dean Brown

March 31st 1966. We gather as teenagers in the School Assembly. The place is electric with anticipation. Slowly, it starts... Tigers stomp stomp stomp, Tigers stomp stomp stomp, TIGERS STOMP STOMP STOMP..... The teachers could only join in. The Headmaster appears & makes the right decision - he smiles and lets us go for a while, then smiles again & asks for quiet.
    There's a Bi-Election for the Hull area that day - but no one notices. We've been waiting for this game for 5 days now.
    We've just drawn 2-2 at Stamford Bridge the previous Saturday with later goals by Waggy & Ian Butler. They announced over the loadspeakers as we came off the field of our scool game that day. We're top of Div 3. We're scoring goals for fun, and now it's FA Cup Qrtr Final replay day.
    We get to the ground a couple of hours before kick off - no queues to get in, just a mass of people on the car park and surrounding roads.
    We finally get in to join 44,000 others. Kids have been allowed to sit around the edge of the pitch so they can see. We have a new South Stand. We have a pitch & floodlights among the best in the country. We're ready to tame one of the top teams in the land.
    The Chelsea Manager, Tommy Docherty, comes out with a few Chelsea players to inspect the pitch. Then it breaks out.... the Boothferry roar. That same chant from the morning begins to echo around the ground many decibels higher as 40,000+ voices join in. I've never heard it as loud as that day before or since. Even standing in the Liverpool Kop did not compare to that feeling. And I'll never forget it. ----- From Ian Peaks

Saturday February 20th 1982.... Hull beat Hartlepool United 5:2... Aged 11, I should have been at Boothferry Park with my Dad, but instead went to my Cousins house to show him new racing bike. On the way home, I ended up underneath a double decker bus, multiple head and leg injuries... 7 or so weeks later after a rapid recovery I returned home. However my rapid recovery had foiled attempts by my Dad to get a couple of players into the hospital for a photo shoot with me. Instead the Club chose to send Gareth Roberts and Bobby McNeil to my house with bags full of goodies including two VIP tickets to the next home game.
    Dad and I (in wheelchair) arrived, was greated by Gareth and had a club tour. The tour included a visit into the dressing room to meet the players pre-match.... Dennis Booth approached me stark naked!!! signed my programme and promised to dedicate a 30 yard shot... I recall the shot an absolute screamer skimming the cross bar and my Dad, saying "I think Dennis did that one for you son..."
    Ever since that day, I've religiously followed the Tigers..... I think someone somewhere was trying to tell me never chose to go anywhere else instead!!! -- From Philip Thames

Living in Barton, our day began with a train journey to New Holland where we waited for the Grimsby train and the rest of the South Bank crowd. Across the river on the old coal-fired paddle steamer and a walk through the market to get some Carvers chips. On to Paragon to get one of the long and packed soccer specials to Boothferry Park. It is 1967, and my first visit resulted in a 4-2 win against Bristol City - and I was hooked.
    My memories of the ground itself was the approach on the train and seeing 20,000 plus packing the stands. I remember a young lad in the south stand who made a continuous noise with his wooden rattle. The Daily Mail seller who issued his sales cry of "Dayee Mayee" to which all the south stand imitated. Waggy, my hero, who scored numerous goals with ease past top goalkeepers as if they didn't exist. Chillo, the classic centre forward and Ian Butler on the wing. It always impressed me when the referee blew for kick-off, the floodlights switched to full - and what a sight that was! After the match, back to the ferry, and a Green Un and a cup of Bovril. The ferry waited for the Green Mail and when the seller got the papers, he threw his cap onto the deck (to save been trampled) and a cascade of coins were thrown into it amidst the scamble for the results.
    I remember the Stoke game as John Firth describes - that was definitely Citys throw - I can still recall Waggy's goals against Banks.
    They are just memories, but after 41 years as a supporter, I am really enjoying this season! It's time to shake off the past and ensure that the new kids remember the KC and the fabulous team that we now have as their memories in later years -- Chris Cooper

I remember I was 6 or 7 years old, something like that. my dad had made me a shoe box to stand on so that I could see the pitch because we were in the dugout pit opposite kempton and I was only small. Zola was warming up on the sidelines and came up to me. took a pound coin out of his back pocket and gave it to me and carried on jogging.
    You would have though I would have kept it forever but instead I spend it on sweets on the way home -From Mark F.

I remember being masscot 23 years ago against burnley in the freezing cold, it was 'jobbos' debut, but nothing could beat my first trip to Boothferry a 7-0 win over Stockport - From Chris P
    My memories of Boothferry park are: Playing for Hull city boys under 15's back in 1977, Watching the league cup game against liverpool played in the afternoon because of the power strike back in the 70's , My late dad taking me to watch city against man utd in 73 on my 11th birtday , playing in the gym for 5 a side tournament then running on the pitch and grabbing a handful of grass to keep! (sad i was 32 at the time!) - From Kogg
    Those games against Middlesborough and Sunderland in the early seventies.
    The 4-3 win over Sheff. Wed. when we were 3-0 down with how many minutes left (someone help me).
    Stoke when we lost and Chris Chilton caught Denis smith with a great right hook.
    Man.Utd. in the Watney cup and we lost on penalties.
    My first game (Tuesday night against who? in 1966). The roar of the crowd was deafening, the pitch glistened under the floodlights and for a 10 year old boy it was a dream come true and everything I expected. Boy was I hooked...
    The Ken Wagstaff hat trick against Gordon Banks (The England goalkeeper)
    Ian Butler and that left foot (poetry in motion)
    - From Evington Tiger

10. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Too long for one post so here's the rest:
    It had to happen sooner or later but passing Boothferry Park the other day (09/01/08) I saw the bulldozers had arrived to finally begin knocking the place down, we all knew it was getting into a terrible condition and has been for some time but seeing it brings a tear to the eye, South Stand looks awful with its roof just hanging off and has maybe even been fully knocked down but at least its being laid to rest now.
    Myself and every other Hull City follower will be saddened by its demise but we now have the kc stadium and a whole new chapter has begun but I’ve loads of great memories that I’ll always keep of BP(and a lot of sad ones!).
    I’ve been following the Tigers since 1984 so for me I’ve spent a lot of time there, being a 2nd home.
    Never seeing Raich Carter play (I’m only 34!) i did see him come onto the pitch at half-time against Sunderland just after we’d re-signed Billy Whitehurst so it’s a memory I wont forget and I’ve been lucky to see a lot of great players grace the Boothferry Park pitch-Tony Norman, Peter Skipper, Deano to name a few and being in the ‘well’ in west stand behind City’s dugout for the epic game against Liverpool in 1989 in the FA Cup their was some legends playing at Boothferry Park that day(oh and Iain Hesford!) but a lot of my memories of the place was from the 80’s as I was just getting into football and my dad started taking me to matches(I’ve tried to forget the 90’s). I used to wait underneath West Stand for all the players to come out of the dressing room after the game to sign my progamme-Parker,Dyer,Norman,Bunn,Roberts, i was even invited inside while Alex Dyer got his tie on, happy times, I remember us playing Aston Villa and having watch the city players leave I then went to the away dressing room where Graham Taylor was outside talking to I think his wife and me being young I just butted in asking him to sign my programme and I was answered with “look young man can you not see I’m talking, I’ll sign it in a minute” well I felt daft, did I not like that! So I just waited feeling embarrassed until it was done, not happy times!
    But we now have a great stadium in the kc that could soon be hosting premiership football which if you look back on 10 years ago is amazing, be it the many memories the promotions of the 80’s or the relegations of the 90’s, the great escape or the time home fans stood in north stand against Bradford, Administration or the Lloyd era happy or sad Boothferry Park will always be a part of me and somehow quite simply the words “Kempton, Bunkers Hill and Fer Ark” will forever live on- THIS IS BOOTHFERRY PARK. RIP ----- From Boothferry Legend

Strangley my favourite memory of fer ark is the day I missed Steve Morans hat trick, never before ( or now since) have I needed two trips to the toilets sandwiched between a trip to the the pie stall, and quite unbelievably Moran scored each time in my abscence ! This was made more upsetting as I spent all season telling my mates that he was the new Payton and would go on to be an all time great !!!!!! Also never forget my only trip onto the Hallowed turf during the pitch invasion at the end of Gareth Roberts testimonal. ----- From Andy Richardson

My first memory of Fer Ark was January 9th 1971, as City beat Sunderland 4-0. It was my first of many, many games and I remember the array of colour in the ground. We lived off Hessle Road - at the Neptune Inn, Neptune Street, behind Smith & Nephews, so I didn't really know what grass looked like! Obviously Sunderland played in red and City in black & amber, but it was the striking green of the perfect turf which took my breath, as I took to my seat. My dad used to make me & my brother polish & dust off, all the bottles of bass and babycham behind the bar, before we were allowed to go.
    I remember the smell of cigar smoke, from the guy who sat in front of me on matchdays. I also remember me and 'our kid' pretending that the opposition were 1st division teams, dependent on their kit, so when Portsmouth came and scuppered our chances of top flight footie, it was like being beaten by the all-blue of Chelsea 0-1!
    I remember the pitch invasion in 1975, at home to Cardiff, when a burly copper grabbed me by the hair and kicked me so hard, I turned back to Bunkers and ran like hell!
    I remember Frank Banks' sliding tackle, right in front of me, which resulted in him getting six studs full in his face and having to be taken off.
    Of course, there was the 'resurgence' of City in the '80's, Marwood, McLaren, Edwards, Parker, Skipper and Jobson - great days!
    I remember Ian Ormondroyd missing a sitter and someone shouting "Ormondroyd, you're Sh*te! ADMIT IT!" and the whole of Boothferry seemed to be laughing! hahaha
    Finally, my favourite game of all, Hull City 2 Liverpool 3. A fantastic day, 'our kid' tearing lumps out of my hair when Edwards scored, just before half-time - and only because he thought Molby had handled the ball for a penalty!...he didn't even know we'd scored!

Boothferry....it never seemed to be muddy, like the grounds on Match Of The Day and Sunday Soccer. A billiard table of grass, with taught nets and Ian McKechnie's oranges! How I wish I could relive those days!--David (aka "TipsyTiger" )

My first memory is Hull City beating Carlisle 13-0 on January 14th 1939 (I was one day old...must be subliminal).
    First real memory was travelling in my uncles butcher van from Beverley to my first game..cup tie v Manchester United 1948
    Raich Carter standing with one foot on the ball in centre circle directing traffic..Silver Haired Maestro
    Alf Ackerman blasting a goal from almost on the goal line right in front of me in The Well. South African sharp-shooter.
    Tigers beating Oldham 8-0 in 1958
    Sitting on Kings Cross Station the day after the Burnley game in 1983 (?)
    reading we'd missed promotion by one goal
    The excitement running down the ramp from the train from Paragon Station..getting in for 1 shilling...programs 3 or 4 p.
    Standing in the mud on what seemed a nearly vertical Bunkers and seeing Viggo Jensen, score the penalty to beat Tottenham.
    Sadness that my ashes wont be scattered on the track around BP as I'd hoped.
    Thanks for the Memories!!
    --From Roger Cass (CANADATIGER)"

Not really an important one but when i used to work out of town on a saturday morning i used to dash to BP get parked up anywhere and run to the ground. I usually made it for the end of the 1st half..........just and paid half price to get in, sometimes they would let me in for nothing.
    But one match that sticks in my mind was 4-0 drubbing of Exeter somewhere around 1991/92 when i arrived at half time is was already 4-0 and i had missed all the goals, although i heard the one just before half-time.
    Second half was rubbish.--From Andy P (araggedtiger)

Only young when i first went to BP

1- The Leyton Orient match, there were others before against Coventry in the cup and Carlisle etc but this one was the time it clicked and started wanting to go week in week out. It was after David Lloyd locked us out and the fans put money into saving the club and we got to play the rest of the season and nearly went up. Still got the sign saying "we'll support you evermore".

2- The Leyton Orient match in the playoffs. 1-0 Johnny Eyre in front of where i was in the south stand. The place errupted but typical city we still lost the second leg.

3- The match v Scunny. ****ing it down. The East Stand was full and noisey we won 2-0 and that bloke streaked on the pitch. Walked by the away end with me mates after giving it loads by climbing up the partition.

4- the Leicester cup match. Good match 4-2 to them at full time.

5-City v Swansea. We won but after the match there were loads of coppers everywhere. Unusual for a game between us and a team from so far away. Think there was some trouble with the Swansea fans.

6- The last match at BP v Darlo. Got the program somewhere cost us loads but very good. The result was terrible. They scored and we couldn't hit a barn door that match. And finally the pitch invasion where i grabbed some the pitch - From Lloydy

11. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

We came to Hull in February 1985 for his mum's 80th and he went to see the Bradford match and witnessed the Bradford fans being escorted by police off the train into the ground to a designated enclosure. They were more interested in trading ferocious insults with nearby City fans than watching the game and this introduced him to the changed situation with regard to opposing fans.Bradford won 2-0 and were promoted that season.

12. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

13. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

Interestingly three of the people on your quotes list, myself, Ian Peakes and Roger Cass will all be coming over for the first game of the season for a meet up coming from Vancouver, Toronto, and Baton Rouge. There will be a few others as well joining us from Australia and various other parts of the world.
    We are all what you might call mature fans :) maybe you could bring a mic to the pub when we get together for a few pints and record some of their recollections live.I'm sure Roger will tell you all about Raich Carter and after a few pints of Stella you wont be able to shut me and Peaksey up about Waggy and Chilton

14. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

My husband is trying to make this too John.Coincidentally it is my 70th next August and we are visiting Vancouver and New Orleans to meet relations of mine for the first time.

If he is there he will no doubt cover the period 1895 to 1905. You have been warned!

15. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

That would be great if you two could make it next August, I think Pommy is coming as well and if you come to New Orleans and do'nt let me take you both out for dinner I'll be mad as a hornet!
    I'm getting tee shirts made up for all the ex pats "The 50,000 mile club" to indicate how far we all came to see a Hull City game.

16. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

John I may be a sad git but standing in a pub with a microphone taping a load of pi55ed up City supporters doesn't do it for me. :cheesy: See if Roger and the others will post on here.
    Anyway here's some more stuff:

'Footy's Top Ten' Hardest Men - Part One!
    In these days of namby-pamby, overpaid professionals it's sometimes good to take a look back at when men were men on the football pitch!
    Those were the days when every team had its hard man.

It is fair to say that the modern game has taken away the stereotypical hard men, largely down to the camera scrutiny the players now experience on a pitch. You no longer witness, the subtle kicks, pinches or whacks that was part and parcel of the game then. These were the make-up of the real hard men who went about their business quietly and effectively.

My recollections are conjured up using a combination of books & news articles I have read over the years, archived television footage, as well of course as witnessing some of the players in question at first hand, with my very own eyes as a paying spectator.

My first introduction to a genuine tough man was Billy Whitehurst (Sheffield Utd, Hull City, Newcatle & Oxford Utd), a strong man with both a big physique and a reputation to match. I remember in one match Billy kicking out the front teeth of the then Coventry City skipper, Brian Kilcline, a big tough opponent in his own right.

Nobody would deny that he was seriously hard. He once apparently offered out the entire Crystal Palace side in the players' lounge at Hull. When he was at Oxford, he was rumoured to be supplementing his weekly pay, and winding down by means of bare-knuckle fighting with the local gypsies. Neil Ruddock said that, when Billy whispered sweet promises in his ear mid-match, 'I used to start shaking.'
    by Beer Footy and Birds http://beerfootyandbirds.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html

http://www.hullcityafc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10338~653917,00.html Picture memories of the Peter Taylor era courtesy of the OWS.
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2009/08/the-soul-of-hull-city-part-one/
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2010/02/the-soul-of-hull-city-–-part-five/
    Good stuff from the Amber Nectar web-site.

17. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

John I may be a sad git but standing in a pub with a microphone taping a load of pi55ed up City supporters doesn't do it for me.

Yeah we can get Burnsey and Humberside to do that :)

18. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

The rest of Amber Nectar’s excellent ‘The Soul Of Hull City’ series:
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2009/09/the-soul-of-hull-city-part-two/
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2009/09/the-soul-of-hull-city-part-three/
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2009/10/the-soul-of-hull-city-–-part-four/
    http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2011/03/the-soul-of-hull-city-part-six/

And from the Vital Hull Web-site
    Magpies humbled by Tigers!
    No I haven't been peering into some astrologers crystal ball for Saturday - given the state of the Toon at the moment, who knows what'll happen - instead I've been delving into history, back to an amazing day, just as the 1930's were opening.

In the late 1920's, City fully deserved the 'mercurial' tag, in 26-27 they finished 7th in the old division two, the following season saw them drop to twelfth and in 1929, the team were fighting to stay in mid-table, as City manager Bill McCracken found himself doing what many City managers have had to do, build a successful team on a shoestring budget.

The bright spot was a good Cup run, uncannily prophesied by City's inspirational captain of the time, Matt Bell. Bell, who was the ultimate utility player in defensive positions and was unfailing first choice emergency keeper - by all accounts he was quite useful - stated that 'I think the Tigers will go far in the Cup-ties this year', after he heard the third round draw. They beat Plymouth 4-3 at Home Park (not an easy journey), then saw off Blackpool 3-1. The fifth round saw the Tigers travel to Maine Road, for a difficult tie against Man City where goals from Paddy Mills and Billy Taylor gave them a courageous 2-1 win.

Their sixth round opponents? Newcastle United. Although United were struggling at the wrong end of the first division table, it was still expected that the Magpies would be too strong for City. After all, they had Hughie Gallacher, one of the leading players of the day, who was sure it was his year for a Cup winners medal, and no one on Tyneside disagreed with him. Ah but fate has a way of kicking the mighty in the teeth.

In front of 63,000 fans (Newcastle struggle to get that today!), and some 6,000 City fans, the teams played out a typical Cup-tie, bad tempered, scrappy and not something to write home about. A Tommy Lang goal set the Magpies on their way midway through the first half, and things did not look good for the Tigers. Centre forward Stan Alexander was having to work solo in the middle, as City drew the sting out of Newcastle by dropping two of the 5 forwards into midfield. However, the fleet footed Alexander managed to throw himself bravely between defenders to nod the ball home from a Dally Duncan cross. In the later stages City threw everything at Newcastle to try and force a result, leaving the back exposed, but City keeper Fred Gibson was steadfast and brave to keep the Newcastle forwards outas the teams settled for the replay at Anlaby Road on the following Thursday afternoon.

There was so much interest in the game that the City Council decided to adjourn its business so that the members could watch the game as well. As 33,000 crammed into Anlaby Road, the biggest crowd ever recorded at the old ground, the teams resumed their battle. The first half was quite even, with neither side being able to breakdown the other and half time was reached at 0-0. It was difficult to tell who would ultimately be successful, and it all turned on two people's amazing performances.

Part way through the second half, City's Scottish international Jimmy Howieson picked up the ball in midfield from a pass from Billy Taylor. He looked around and the Newcastle players clearly expected him to slide the pass out to Duncan on the left wing or play it back to Taylor on the right. He did neither. Having sized up the options, he took the ball forward a few yards and rifled in an unexpected left foot shot. Newcastle's keeper McInroy could only get his fingertips to the ball as it flew in the corner of the net. The crowd, stunned for a second, then let loose a roar that could probably have been heard in the City centre. Newcastle, more stunned than the crowd, couldn't believe it.

But the game wasn't yet won. City now had to play out the remainder of the game, and they had to defend desperately as the Magpies threw everything they had at the Tigers defense. It seemed like repeated avalanches of black and white fell on the Tigers penalty area, but they hadn't reckoned with the City defense of Childs, Goldsmith and Bell and the feats of keeper Fred Gibson. Time after time, his positioning and anticipation denied the Newcastle forwards certain goals. Gallacher did his utmost to break it down, but the defenders and Gibson proved resolute to the end.

As local cartoonist Ern Shaw said, in one of his best cartoons; 'Hughie Gallacher said he was going to Wembley, the supporters, the press, the directors, the captain and players said he was, but a resolution that Hughie would NOT be going to the final was proposed by Jimmy Howieson, seconded several times by Fred Gibson, and the Mayor and Corporation dashed back the Guildhall and carried it unanimously!' (Its better on the cartoon, believe me!)

So, City were in their first semi-final, and the draw gave them Arsenal. That's another story entirely...
    By Rabid Rob http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=123970

19. johnfirth

johnfirth Active Member

I think Roger already posts on here as CanadaTiger :)

"See if Roger and the others will post on here."

20. kccircle

kccircle Well-Known Member

Wilberforce is/was a House at Pocklington Grammar School too - the school he traded up to :)