1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Hull City away in Bilbao 70 years ago today. 20210527_142422.jpg

Attached Files:

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I think that is Ken Harrison next to the bust looking straight at the camera. He used to live behind the 17th tee at Springhead GC. I played golf with him a few times but more with his son who was a good player. A right miserable twat he was, Ken that is.

3. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Don Revie bottom centre - deep-lying CF being hatched already?

4. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

We appear to have Philip Larkin and a young Maggie Thatcher in the squad.

That's the right flank covered, I guess.

originalminority likes this.
  5. tigerscanada

I'm wondering if the bloke kneeling, head level with the flowers on the left (as we view the picture) is Jock Davidson's brother. Never saw him play, but there is an uncanny resemblance to Andy?

6. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Joe Robinson goalkeeper. Neil Franklin and Viggo Jensen next to one another. Where is player-manager Raich- injured?

7. tigerscanada

Certainly not listed on the team sheet (photo). Good question. I wonder, was he like Dennis Bergkamp and hated air travel/sea journeys?
    It appears I was wrong in my post about Jock Davidson's brother - he's not listed in the description of the attached picture !

https://www.seniortigers.org.uk/gallery/1950s_other_page1/index.php#&panel1-1

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

It says he joined us for £3m in 2019, something not quite right there! Anyhow good luck to him.

Seyi Olofinjana: Nigerian aims to help revive the fortunes of Swiss club Grasshopper

By Oluwashina OkelejiFootball Writer, Nigeria
    Last updated on27 May 202127 May 2021.From the sectionSport Africa

please log in to view this image

Ex-Wolves and Nigeria midfielder Seyi Olofinjana has been named as technical director at Switzerland's most successful club Grasshopper Zurich as he aims to help "steer the club in the right direction".

The 40-year-old will oversee the football department at the newly-promoted Super League outfit and immediately find the right candidate to fill the 'position of the head coach' .

The former Stoke City, Hull City and Cardiff City player was snapped up from English Premier League club Wolverhampton Wanderers, where he was most recently loan-manager and had previously worked in various roles.

"This an important role and I look forward to working together with the amazing people at Grasshopper to hopefully steer this massive club in the right direction," Olofinjana told BBC Sport Africa, after beating off stiff competition from other top applicants.

"A club as decorated and influential as Grasshopper deserves stability and we need to find the right ways of restoring its lost football glory."

Olofinjana, who holds two master's degrees as a sports director and project manager, has inherited a club keen to bounce back from the humiliating lows of 2019 when it suffered relegation from the Swiss top flight for the first time in 68 years.

He becomes the latest African to hold the technical director position in Europe after compatriot Michael Emenalo held similar roles at English side Chelsea and French club Monaco.

After two years in the Swiss Challenge League (second tier), the Hoppers sealed promotion last week and the Nigerian insists they are back where they truly belong.

"The history of the club and incredible fanbase clearly reflects a side that deserves better," he added.

"It is our collective job to set this team in the right direction and among the elite clubs competing for success."

Olofinjana started his career at Crown FC of Ogbomoso in his native Nigeria, before a stint in the country's topflight with Kwara United led to a summer 2004 switch to Wolves via Norwegian club Brann Bergen.

He spent four years at Wolves before moving to Stoke City in July 2008 and after a season he joined rivals Hull City for £3m in August 2019.

Stints at Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday in England followed before ending his European career where it all began in Norway this time with IK Start.

Olofinjana made over 50 appearances for Nigeria and represented the Super Eagles in three Africa Cup of Nations in 2004, 2008 and when they finished third in 2010.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/57267101

9. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

1 error in the team listed there. According to my husband Hull City never had a Wilf Hassan but did have an inside forward at that time called Wilf Hassall.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Yardley Tiger likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Happy Diame Day...

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I was right behind the goal as that went in
    Ten minutes earlier I was told by a steward I’d be removed if I didn’t sit down!! **** behind me kept complaining

if only we had kept Sir Steve Bruce.

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

It was the first time I had managed to get all my 3 kids and some of their kids at the same game, there were 8 of us. I just thought I would personally try to bolster the crowd to annoy the Massive supporters<laugh>

A great day was had by all.

GLP and TwoWrights like this.
  13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It was a cracking strike...

14. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

15. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

17. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

only just seen this , some cracking Moustaches in that crowd.

18. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

A former City player from the 1930s later lived at "Clovelly", a house of Bye Pass Road at Anlaby Common. I've been through as many old maps as I can find online and i cannot locate where Bye Pass Road was. Anyone hailing from that part of the city got any ideas? TIA.

19. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I lived on Anlaby Common during my childhood in the fifties and don't remember the By Pass Road by name. Though "Clovelly" sounds familiar, where it might be was some houses that were set back from the main Hull road, where the new Bypass started behind what was or maybe still is the White heather hair salon.

20. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Fabulous, thanks John. There was a series of 5-6 houses with bucolic sounding names, all with that same address, does that ring a bell?