1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ticketing touting v Stub Hub

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 11, 2017.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Stub hub have spurs tickets available for Spurs v Bournemouth in Park Lane available at just under £150.
    I have a ticket to the Semi Final, the NLD and the United match (all through the members ballot) and these 3 matches combined cost me less.
    I got a ticket in the ballot for the Watford match in block 33 (where this particular ticket is) and it cost me £37.
    I have (for previous matches seen massively bigger mark ups on prices).
    I get that a seller would add the stub hub charges onro the ticket cost so the ticket would cost £ 10 or even £15 above face value but not over £110 mark up.
    These tickets come from season ticket holders selling their match tickets on Stub Hub so my question is:
    A) Why are season ticket holders and Stub Hub allowed to sell tickets at such huge mark ups?
    B) WTF is the difference between this and touting (which is illegal)?

God know what they will be charging for the NLD or United tickets especially as if this our last season at the lane they will be hugely significant matches.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

A) Because the club allow it.
    B) The LETTER and SPIRIT of the law.

To deal with this, ST holders who are not attending should be able to return their
    seat to the club for that game. The club reimburse the ST holder for the cost of that game.
    The club then puts that seat on general sale.

The difference between the cost of general sale - ST reimbursement should cover the
    admin costs of doing the above. Neither the club nor the ST holder have lost money
    doing this, and another supporter who wants to attend has not paid an extortionate
    price for the privilege.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I was looking at tickets for the Bournemouth game a month ago, and even then StubHub were demanding triple of even quintuple the cost of the standard ticket price, which effed me off no end as I was planning to get a ticket for that match.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And the only people that would lose out would be StubHub themselves.
    The club would lose that deal, but make some of the money back on the ticket sales and earn a lot of good will with the fans, too.
    It's a no-brainer and it's about time that clubs in this country gave a little back to the supporters.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I can't stand it mate.

Not all of my mates are ST holders like me so if they're unsuccessful on that god awful ballot, we end up fishing for tickets on social media or stub hub for them, the lads have no problem paying an extra tenner on top if there's costs involved and they'll also offer to buy the seller a beer out of goodwill but anyone that wants stupid prices we just tell to **** off. Never understand how you can mug fellow fans off.

Earlier this season for WBA away my Cousin broke his collarbone the week before the match so we had to sell his ticket as well as trying to offload the train fares that we'd paid for in advance (which was about £22), as we didn't have a mate available, we offered the whole package all for face value via a Spurs Facebook page that one of my mates is in, one guy jumped at the chance, we met him at Waterloo, he came with us on the trains, to the pubs and then to the game and since then he's become a really good mate of ours in such a short space of time. Me and one other even went Malta for the weekend with him just a couple weeks back. Amazing what can happen when you don't mug people off, glad to say I've made a good friend - albeit from an unfortunate circumstance! <laugh>

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Since the start of this season, there has been a limit on what a ST holder can sell on Stubhub. This limit is set at £150 for Category A matches, so I am surprised to hear of such amounts being asked for in respect of a Category C game, which is what the Bournemouth game is.

It might be well be two tickets for a total of £150, just a thought.

Anyway, if there is one blot on Levy's tenure at Spurs, then this is the one. To even consider such a scheme such as this ghastly partnership with Stubhub, is just disgusting. Surely there was nothing wrong with the previous arrangement whereby the selling of an unwanted seat was done through the club officially.

I have a fair amount of time for the Supporters Trust people (THST), but as they have regular meetings with Levy, Donna Cullen and the ticket office manager, I can't believe they have allowed Levy to get away with this scheme so lightly.

Sorry to say RCL, but to Spurs you are not Mr RCL, but "Client reference number 12345", and so too are all the rest of us, and as such our feelings on this matter mean absolutely squat diddly, they just do what suits them the best financially.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Didn't you say before that the deal with StubHub only gets us about £1mill a year? We could just stop buying French wingers no one has heard of and save much more money than we get for the deal.

8. remembercolinlee

Cheer for the response OS.
    There are still tickets onsale at £130 each.
    When they sell on Stub hub they show whether it's an individual ticket or a pair.
    I remember reading that the rules changed a while back to limit the amount that can be charged and I am sure that I read that the contract with Stubhub would be seriously looked at when.this deal ends.

I think I am simply a hippy as I genuinely it is unkind for spurs fans to be allowed to make money from another spur in this way.

Like I said ... I have been lucky enough to have 2 tickets for the semi final , NLD and the united match. If we couldn't use them I (like others on here have said) would not sell them for profit.

9. The RDBD

Unkind ??
    I consider it immoral and greedy, period (whether tis Spurs or other clubs suffering it) .

O.Spurcat and remembercolinlee like this.
  10. O.Spurcat

I have just had a look and certainly there is a single one available at £123 which is sheer greed from the seller.

I'll check tomorrow, but I still think there is a limit of £150 and I understood this was only for cat A games, with the limit being lower for cat B and cat C games.

And just to add insult to injury, as Stubhub are seen as "sponsors" of the club, then the deal allows them to have semi final tickets for their own staff (not sure how many).

11. O.Spurcat

I have had it confirmed by our ticket office, the maximum price allowed for resale is £126. This is one heck of an increase if applied to the cheapest category C ticket which sells at £32.

I was also told by my pal in the ticket office, that according to their records, there are at least 20 season ticket holders who have put their ticket on stub hub for all of our PL home games this season.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well if you were sneaky about it, then you could put your ticket up for sale, buy another one and still make a profit.
    That's at least one of the reasons that it's a crap system.

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I haven't been to WHL for ages, mate, what with living over here, etc. I had thought about trying to 'pay my respects' to the old place before the end of the season by going to one last game there. But I'm ****ed if I'll pay those prices. Disgraceful profiteering, and the club seemingly condones it too!

Many of you will know I'm a big Rugby fan. I've been to Twickehham and all the major international grounds, but I've never paid more than face value for a ticket. I just refuse to do it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  14. The RDBD

If you want me to sort out those 20, tell them to stand outside WHL and
    shout very loudly : Isco is definitely being signed for Spurs in the summer.

15. remembercolinlee

Cheers OS ... maybe the price I saw included a charge from Stub hub as well...or I can't accurately read numbers above £120!!!
    IMHO unless those 20 or so season ticket holders have the club's permission to sell all their tickets (due to illness or some other unlucky issue) they should lose the season ticket.

16. O.Spurcat

There's a guy who sits the other side of the gangway to me, who has had a season ticket for at least 3 seasons and only uses it 3 times a season. He goes to the first home game, the last home game and the NLD. He is quite open about the fact he sells the other 16 home games on Stub hub.

With regards to members, I know of a guy who hasn't been to a game for two and a half years, yet had sufficient loyalty points to get an FAC semi final ticket.

17. remembercolinlee

Not sure how to respond to those stories without making myself look like I should not be trusted to be a role model to the disturbed kids I work with <laugh>

I could not imagine being able to afford a season ticket and then selling most of the match day tickets.
    Seems reminiscent of that 1980s "greed is good" yuppie saying.

18. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Let's see if they manage to sell all their seats next season at Wembley.

19. remembercolinlee

Had another look at stub hub tickets.
    The reason I saw 2 tickets costing £150 was cos the buyer asked for £123 and there was a stubhub charge added meaning the 2 tickets cost a total of £298...for a match against Bournemouth
    <yikes>

20. Rikdayid

Rikdayid Active Member

I got my tickets for the Bournemouth match via stub hub and it cost me £300 in total. Luckily for me I work with a ST holder, so in effect she sold me her tickets via stub hub and gave me £150 towards the costs.
    Wouldn't have been abale to afford it other wise.

It does seem like a con.

Out of interest, does becoming a member guarantee you a chance to buy tickets? I understand not for away games etc, but for most.