1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ticket Booking Fees

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by PGFWhite, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Because the ticket office issues Tickets on behalf of Ticketmaster's system -- so you pay the costs of Ticketmaster and towards the Swans box office on costs.
    It also is meant to encourage a move electronic only transactions (more cost effective for the broker).

2. Bob the slob

Booking fees for tickets as a total income will be hardly any different from previous seasons.

When they take over the Liberty they will also have the the full cost of running it including the increased lease payments - they probably will make a profit but it will be small beer.

I have many complaints about the Yanks but fleecing us isn't one of them.

For years I have been paying the same on costs for my single tickets (away games, cup games and friendlies) as some have paid for 2,4 or 6 tickets. I didn't complain because that was the system. The system has changed. Now we all pay the same.

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Well, I understand that the Ospreys, who are probably in more need of additional revenue than the Swans, have decided on a lower amount, one that basically matches the previous costs.

It's not the amount, per se - it's the underlying message.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  4. Bob the slob

Did some digging - slow day
    Based on the Ospreys, us and a couple of ELP teams that use ticket master the fees appear to be around 5% of the average ticket price which is shared with the club.
    (That translates to an additional £620 per game over the Ospreys if we sell out & the Ospreys sell their best attendance as individual tickets - that including away end being full. i.e. 6 match day footballs.

If we sold out every game, fees would generate in total c£200,000 (shared between Tickemaster and the club) if bought on line. On line fees include the cost of postage at 65p per ticket which could reduce the additional income to c£126,000 for the EPL season. Added to that could be £25,000 (ST fees) i.e. 5 weeks pay for one average player.

That is in total - not additional to current fees and postage which is difficult to estimate in real terms but could be significantly more.

Our ticket prices are the 5th cheapest in the League.

Ticketmaster Q&A
    Service Fee/Charge and Order Processing Fee

There is usually a service fee per-ticket and an order processing fee per-order that varies by event. (The order processing fee is not usually charged on box office purchases.) To the extent we charge a service fee and/or an order processing fee, we and our clients typically set and share the fee.

Prior to using Ticketmaster when the Liberty were issuing the own system they retained all fees (and I regularly found seats had been sold to more than one person). AT one game four of us had been issued with the same seat!).

I can understand people who got the benefits of multiple purchases and box office purchases for free being annoyed but the maths doesn't add up to a charge of profiteering by the club or its majority share holders.

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

6. Bob the slob

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/card-surcharge-ban-means-no-more-nasty-surprises-for-shoppers

The important word on the government's official information is 'hidden'.
    'Hidden charges for paying with a debit or credit card will be banned from today (13 January).'

And the phrase
    'It’s completely unfair for someone to be hit by a hidden fee just before they are about to make a purchase,'

Economic Secretary to the Treasury, John Glen said:
    It’s completely unfair for someone to be hit by a hidden fee just before they are about to make a purchase, so by scrapping these rip-off charges we are helping to give power back to the consumer.

Are being taken, by some, to argue a charge that is advertised from the off is not 'hidden'.

As in so many of these rulings it is up to Trading Standards to take legal action so judges can define what the wording means.

But,

... the ban does not include other fees which are not linked to the method of payment, such as booking charges for theatre, concert and cinema tickets or for using certain cash machines, and firms can still set minimum price thresholds for accepting card payments.'

7. Bob the slob

I've just looked at the new Swansea City app.
    While this is a cheaper way to buy from the club it also looks like it is (or will be) taking advantage of the new open baking regulation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42655716

'A fundamental change to the way people can bank, manage and spend their money in the digital world is under way.
    A change in the law and the start of the Open Banking system means people can allow businesses, other than their bank, to access their financial data.
    Organisers say this has the potential for consumers to get better deals, such as cheaper overdrafts, and to speed up the switching process.
    But warnings over fraud risks have already been issued.
    As part of the same legislation, surcharges for payments made by credit card, debit card, or other payment systems such as PayPal will be banned.'

I have not only downloaded the app but I have also removed it.

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

The bottom line is the Club don't have to charge, or employ a company that charges it.

The fans are the Clubs "friends" rather than customers and as such deserve a bit more respect, rather than being treated as part of the cash cow.

9. Bob the slob

At some point someone has to play the staff, software, insurance policies against fraud and be answerable for the cock ups that happened prior to buying into a ticket management company.
    Personally I can't stand Ticket brokers but the only way we can go back to cash at the turnstile and volunteers running the club shop is to drop down the divisions.

The idea of being 'friends' is naive - like it or not we are punters.

10. PGFWhite

Yep. We'll see how many punters stay away on Wednesday night.

If you treat your friends with respect they'll come around your house. Treat them with contempt and they'll never come.

11. Bob the slob

We aren't the friends.

If we have a low turn out on Wednesday it just sums up the dedication of our fans and nothing to do with ticketing - £11.60 to £17.50 to watch the Premier League Swansea City in the FA Cup.
    Bargain.

12. PGFWhite

You obviously don't read any other Swans forums or follow social media.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  13. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Its all our faults <doh> don't you know , Saint Jenkins **** must smell of roses

14. Bob the slob

I do - I'm just the hysterical type. :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Card charges will be replaced with administration charges....Greed that's all it is........

16. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

This is what Chelsea are doing, puts us to shame.

D5A7B7E5-D969-4DFF-8AA2-F96EFD474554.jpeg

PGFWhite and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  17. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

I can't moan I still wear my free "travelling jacks scarf " with pride <whistle>

18. neveroffsidereff

Mines in the garage.

19. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Tow rope ?

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  20. neveroffsidereff

Holding the shelves up. :)