1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 7th. Feb. 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 6, 2019.

1. ChelseaCOE2012

ChelseaCOE2012 Well-Known Member

Steepledowns and Portman Park it is, will try get some info!!!!

Na on a serious note, fingers crossed everyone has acted quick and we can get this sorted ASAP. I reckon it will be another 2 weeks at least until racing commences, Cheltenham should be fine but imagine it will be a bit less horse numbers and we'll get some weird winners / priced winners. Hope all horses are ok and everything can get back to normal ASAP

2. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

No word on the public gallops closing just yet. There are no suspected cases in Newmarket at the moment, the case in the AHT report is in a local village about 5 miles away in unbroken 2yos so they won’t have been near the gallops. The only concern is that Newmarket trainer John Berry had a runner at Ludlow yesterday so obviously he is under quarantine, but he is adamant that he did not encounter Donald McCain’s horse.

A few trainers have closed their private gallops to outsiders and most of the NH yards have their own facilities.

Harbottle and woolcombe-folly007 like this.
  3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

John Berry's horse was in the first race and McCain's was in the last so entirely possible that Berry's was gone before McCain's arrived. As it happens I know the owner of the McCain horse (I only know 2 people who own racehorses) so I'll make some enquiries.

Harbottle and PNkt like this.
  4. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Donald McCain has put out a statement saying the horses that raced yesterday were I. Good health and there is no suggestion they have flu.

Personally I think he is more than a little responsible for this. If he had the slightest suspicion that he had flu in his yard (which he obviously did as he says he notified BHA and requested flu tests) then he should have withdrawn all of his runners. You can’t tell me that his suspicions about flu were only raised yesterday morning after his runners had left the yard, they will have been off-colour and coughing/had runny noses/temperatures for a few days in order for him to become suspicious.

Ste D and Chaninbar like this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

My view of McCain in general terms is largely unprintable. A member of the extended family - a young apprentice jockey - was treated appallingly by him and his wife when she decided to move on due to a lack of opportunities that had been promised. Integrity is not a word with which he is that familiar.

6. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

I’ve heard similar.

Chaninbar likes this.
  7. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Surely under European law horses being transported have to have a passport and up to date vacs I know this because when we go to competitions you have to provide the docs.

Ron likes this.
  8. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Easily at a surprising 6-4 ..... this lady may have to become Mrs Reebs IV :1980_boogie_down:

Onlyfoolsandhorses and Ste D like this.
  9. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Yes competition horses/those travelling need up to date vacs, but the vast majority of horses in the UK are privately owned pleasure horses/riding school horses who don’t travel. There is no legal requirement for them to be vaccinated against flu, in fact it’s estimated that 70% of the non-Racing population are not vaccinated against it.

For some people it’s a financial decision - if you own/run a riding school with 50 horses who never leave the premises, paying £40 per horse for a flu vaccine is a big chunk of money each year.

floridaspearl likes this.
  10. Onlyfoolsandhorses

Onlyfoolsandhorses Active Member

Thanks for sharing Reebs - my little one came home from school this week with a project to do on Pandas so I took it as a sign and followed you in

11. Harbottle

Harbottle Active Member

My understanding - and I could well be wrong - is that British horses are vaccinated because the virus is endemic here, but Irish horses aren't because it's not endemic over there.

12. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

The lad who works for Karen McLintock and give me TWIGGY, last week, has given me one for the flat season. ROSE TINTED SPIRIT.. He has come back from his holidays looking absolutely fantastic, he's filled out nicely, as well. I'll get the nod when it's time to have a few pennies on it...

Ron, Pilgrim, rudebwoy and 1 other person like this.
  13. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

14. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Wherever you have horses you have equine flu. I can’t see this issue being resolved quickly.

15. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

He's let me use this. Here's Rose Tinted Spirit. He said that they think Cheltenham might not even be on.

please log in to view this image

Reebok, attivo and stick like this.
  16. chaos80

chaos80 Well-Known Member

They have now tested 2100 horses, 720 results and all negative, if the trend continues i believe racing will be back by the weekend. Only 3 new cases have been positive and they are all at D. McCain's yard.

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Haven't been to any since Amanda's accident but certainly that was the case and I can't imagine there would have been any slackening