1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 7th. Feb. 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Feb 6, 2019.

1. jumpsfan

jumpsfan Well-Known Member

well,a good start for me.

thurles,2 15:

its been well publicised,that many of the mullins horses needed their first run this season,so you can expect some improvement from GREAT WHITE SHARK here.better was expected last time out,and shes surely not overfaced in this race..

2. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

That won't happen. It is impossible to lose money on an event that never took place. ALL bets are void in cases where there was no actual race.

Going back to the 1993 Grand National, which was declared void, I had to go back through all the ante-post tickets and mark them as non-runners because the race never took place. One guy had £50 on a horse who had died after he placed the bet but he still got his money back.

One of the managers in our firm had placed a bet on Esha Ness, simply because her surname was Ness. £5 EW at 66/1 but all she got was her tenner back.

I still recall John White trying to make out that he was gutted that the race was void. He wouldn't have got an Oscar for that performance. Everyone on the planet knew that the race was "Donald Ducked" and they should have stopped the race to avoid the potential of fatalities in a race that was no longer valid.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Wolverhampton have called off their meeting planned for Saturday evening ........................... Sir Barney's regular readers are said to be hiding their disappointment stoically

4. jumpsfan

thurles,2 50:

PETIT TARTARE and karl der grosse have already met this season,with joseph o briens horse half a length in front that day.he comes out marginally better off at the weights today,and should confirm the form.also ran quite well in a tough handicap last time out,so big chance..

5. Steveo77

Steveo77 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Cheltenham festival would be cancelled or just postponed though ?

6. redcat1

redcat1 Well-Known Member

Thurles 4:00
    Beeper’s Ruby 18/1 E/W

7. jumpsfan

meydan,3 40:

hard to look past walking thunder here,who was mightily impressive last time out,but the run of SPORTING CHANCE last week also wasnt devoid of promise,so he might run into the money again.decent e w value..

8. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Nice one winner there.In the lucky last I'm going to take on the JOB jolly with Mr Mullins Amen Korner 7/2.

Harbottle likes this.
  9. stick

stick Bumper King

All yards that have had runners in the same venues as McCain in the last week are now in “lockdown”. Provided this gets contained quickly it should blow over in a fortnight.
    Whilst all racehorses in the UK have to be vaccinated this strain is one that is not covered. Typical huh.
    I think we should shut up shop for two weeks.

Deleted....... and Ste D like this.
  10. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

11. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

From what I’ve been told this looks to be a new mutation of a previously known strain (the same one that caused the Aussie outbreak in 2007).

12. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

13. Harbottle

Harbottle Active Member

I didn't think they had it in Ireland at the moment?

14. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Let's not be too pessimistic eh..racing could resume by next Wednesday. It sounds like they have acted fast so fingers crossed worse case scenario is racing resuming before end of Feb.

Someone on here said couldnt have happened at a worse time..I think 2 weeks before Cheltenham festival would have been far worse.

15. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

If you read the princess article the young stock who could’ve past it on were were unvaccinated from Ireland.

Harbottle likes this.
  16. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

If that's true it's a pretty obvious and foreseeable flaw in the process of moving racehorses around the UK and Ireland.

17. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

But they weren’t vaccinated at all I know vaccinations are not 100% and is a new strain but surely without the horses being regulary vaccined the whole situation would be a lot worst!

18. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

The problem is that until they are in training yards there is no accountability, it’s an obvious flaw in the movement of horses. There needs to be a system more like the one run by DEFRA for livestock where every time a sheep so much as moves to a different field, you need to log it on the DEFRA website.

All premises housing racehorses, from studs to pre-training yards to pinhooking stables should have to be registered premises and subject to inspections the same way racing yards are.

Harbottle and woolcombe-folly007 like this.
  19. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Vaccinated horses are likely to be unwell for a few days, though obviously that interrupts their training schedules. Unvaccinated horse’s will have a much tougher time of it and may take a few weeks to recover.

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  20. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Princess are the gallops at lambourn and Newmarket still open? I know the jockey club have said No to outsiders using the gallops but what about the stables in the premises?