1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 30th. July 2020

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

After a deeply unsatisfying Gordon Stakes, here's hoping Nazeef gets the trip and the glory.

2. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I backed Fancy Blue at 25/1 for the Epsom Oaks but she went to France instead. She would not have beaten Love anyway but she is a promising sort. Fired in deep in the Irish Guineas to kick the season off she was runner up but went one better in a blanket finish of the French Oaks.

I thought Tawkeel was the best of the French staying fillies this season but she missed the Prix Diane race and was due to come here instead. The collateral form in the French Classic suggested Tawkeel would have won it had she run and I am wondering why they pulled her out here late on?

Did the owner feel he had an able deputy in Nazeef?

The Gosden filly is on a winning run and it's sometimes folly to oppose that. 3YO fillies have a great record but are this year's 3YO's below average? I would have to say that outside of Love it is mediocre looking.

Magic Wand is short enough now and Deirdre is another who doesn't win often enough for me,

I gave Nazeef the chance to stay as she is still showing improvement overall.

3.15 Nazeef 10/3

3. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Yes, yes yes, party time, I've had a winner :)

4. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Gutsy performance by Fancy Blue in the Nassau, and a fine ride by Ryan Moore. Give the guy a break, he's trying hard to be articulate after the race, and he is much better than he was. He's there to ride racehorses, not give eloquent opinions. One Voice ran an absolute cracker in second place too. <ok>

rudebwoy and Archers Road like this.
  5. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Not every day you hear that about Moore

6. Archers Road

Yeah, Ballydoyle employ him because he's useless..

rudebwoy likes this.
  7. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Don't get then knickers in a twist old boy....i don't rate him end of..its well documented.

Get out of the sun a chill

8. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

going to have a little play on My Man Stan at Muss 7.30, ran a cracker to be 2nd of 14 last time behind Rebel soldier boy who is in opposition again and the one to beat.

9. Grendel

Funny race in the Nassau and hard to know what to make of it. Jim Crowley seems obsessed with making life difficult for his mounts but the main problem was that Nazeef looked devoid of pace today. She was under the cosh a long way from home and when the commentator said she was still going well I nearly choked in disbelief. She ran poorly today.

Magic Wand was well backed but watching it you could be forgiven for thinking she was making the pace for Fancy Blue. She fell away tamely and has run well below her best. Deirdre was never a factor and never had a chance of repeating her success from last year.

One Voice was a winning selection for me first time out this season but I left her next time and she disappointed when 5th as 6/4 favourite. Her position today casts a shadow on the form because she was rated 106 coming in after a step back from her best last time out. I suspect that it may be a case that several have not run to form today and she has benefited from that. I actually thought she was going to win but looked to hang fire in the closing stages.

I am still convinced that Tawkeel would probably have won the Prix Diane and through Fancy Blue that she would probably have landed today's race as well. I am not sure if she met with a setback coming into this meeting but if not they have kept a filly in her box and let two Group 1 races that she might have won go abegging.

Oh well, at least I got some points for Fancy Blue winning today.

SwanHills likes this.
  10. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Following the monry in the first at Galway

Guinevere

Grecian Mick likes this.

11. Archers Road

Nazeef's run was too poor to be true really. Either she had an off day, didn't like the ground, or isn't that good.

12. Grendel

I thought Different Face was an each-way price against the good thing in the last race, Buick rides for the Crisfords and the horse made all to win last time. 12/1 seemed worth a pop. Winter Power sluiced up last time and is well in under a penalty but it doesn't always pan out like that.

4.55 Goodwood Different Face 12/1 EW

13. Grendel

Or all three!

Archers Road likes this.
  14. stick

stick Bumper King

shout

NDS likes this.
  15. Grecian Mick

I hope your right Grendel, exactly what I thought.

16. Grecian Mick

In the 4.55 team Crisford have a runner. I've been following them for a couple of weeks now with very good results. They're placing their horses really well (not sure how many they train). The Fav will be very hard to beat but he only ran 3 days ago whilst my selection has had a nice 33 day break. DIFFERANT FACE 10/1 is my solid ew bet.[/QUOTE]

Happy with that

NDS likes this.
  17. Grecian Mick

Another good shout, Grade One, well done

Grade One likes this.
  18. Grendel

Typical, you manage to get the Fav beat but something else storms through to win it.

Still second place at 12/1 is fine and better than an odds-on favourite who can't manage to do better than 4th.

Nice win for Acklam Express and he hasn't half come on from a debut third at Beverley when he was 150/1. His win at Hamilton was a step in the right direction but he has really come to the fore today. The Handicapper is sure to be taking note of that and will be lumping his mark way beyond the 77 he ran off today.

Decent effort from Different Face, I thought that he might be swamped late but fair play. he kept trying all the way to the line but just outclassed by the progressive winner.

Winter Power was supposed to be 17 pounds better than today's winner on Racing Post ratings of 94 to 77 and conceding only 5 lbs, was 12 lbs clear on their figures. Was three days too short after winning on Monday? Looked like a poor imitation of a horse rated 94 there and the Racing Post figure looked wildly out today.

19. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Cheers, not bad for a 11 year old mare:emoticon-0137-clapp

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Does anybody know why there was such an almighty gamble on Magic Wand? I think Michael Tabor phoned up Ladbrokes and put 50p win on it just to see whether Matt Chapman would get so worked up about it being “smashed up” that he might explode.

Sadly, the 50p was lost and Chapman did not explode.

Clearly those that did pile their dosh on the ultra-consistent place mare had word that Frankie was going to try and set the fractions, but she could not slip the field like the Johnston horses so frequently do and once the three year old came level it was money in the bookies’ accounts. Great SP on Fancy Blue thanks to the Magic Wand punt for those who backed her.

The only good news for the Classic generation is that the two three year olds were the first two across the line with Nazeef a never dangerous third having run no sort of race at all. Is One Voice better than her form coming in suggested or are the three year old fillies much of a muchness?

What did we learn from the Gordon Stakes? Not really a great deal. The Derby runner-up only beat the heavily eased Al Aasy home, with the favourite just in front of him. Answers on a postcard to the question what was Dettori doing on the favourite? When English King impressed at Lingfield, he was ridden up with the pace. Two rides from Frankie and he has been out with the washing; and Goodwood is not a track for hold-up horses. Credit to Joe Fanning on Subjectivist but he committed too early and his horse emptied on him yet still managed to be beaten less than two lengths, giving the form an horrendous look. How is the handicapper going to rate Mogul anything above 115?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020