1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Thursday 15th. August 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Aug 14, 2019.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Thursday's Meetings

Salisbury

Flat 8 Races 1:50-5:30p.m.
    Beverley
    Flat 8 Races 2:00-5:40p.m.
    Lingfield
    A/W 7 Races 2:10-5:10p.m.
    Yarmouth(E)
    Flat 7 Races 4:45-8:00p.m.
    Leoparstown(E)
    Flat 7 Races 4:50-8:05p.m.
    Chepstow(E)
    Flat 7 Races 5:00-8:15p.m.
    Tramore(E)
    Mixed 7 Races 5:15-8:20p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races
    Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

2. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Morning

8.00 Yarmouth-Greek Kodiac

Each Way @ 8-1 [Skybet]

Will find this easier than recent tasks

3. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Had a look at this race as the fact I have just returned from Greece it grabbed my attention! Lol. 5lb lower than when finishing 2nd. Has run at the course a couple of times but predominantly been running at 7f and 1 mile. I think trip might be on sharp side so will give it a miss but good luck with it. Good jockey booking will help..

Grade One likes this.
  4. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Al Suhail reappears after skipping a Leicester entry last week. Sadly today's race is a four runner affair and he's well odds on. His maiden runner up spot has been working out pretty well, with a couple of winners and a runner up next time out from those who finished down the field.

I thought Al Suhail was going to win cosily last time, as he travelled sweetly before making what looked like a decisive move into the lead but in the end he was run down by the Richard Hannon colt Al Madhar. By Dubawi out of Shirocco Star, Al Suhail is a half brother to Dante winner Telecaster and you would hope he will improve markedly with time. He has fancy entries and if he is to keep any of those engagements he needs to go out there today and demolish his opponents. No price at all but interesting to see how he goes in a hood, which seems an odd reach for a horse who ran a race full of promise on debut.

In the 3.50 Salisbury today non-runners have left a tricky looking six runner affair. Accidental Agent has been in the wilderness since winning the Queen Anne last year and he has refused to race before. Flashcard steps up in grade from Handicaps but he is a popular selection for this race and is into favourite now. I think he is short enough, even with question marks aplenty in the field.

I decided to give the gelded Great Scot a chance to prove he is focused since his procedure. He was a decent 2YO and has run some good races. Runner up in the Greenham, he was only 9th in the Newmarket 2000 Guineas but he was 3rd in the German version, beaten only 2 necks and then didn't stay behind Sangarius over 10F at Royal Ascot. Great Scot has won on heavy and he seems to have a reasonable chance if the gelding operation has benefitted him. I thought 5/1 was fair value in an open affair.

3.50 Salisbury Great Scot 5/1 (BOG)

5. jumpsfan

jumpsfan Well-Known Member

afternoon,fellas!

beverley,3 30:

a very open affair,with plenty of well handicapped horses.so too is my choice SHEEPSCAR LAD,who is fully 12 lbr lower than when last successful last spring.and,even more tempting,his latest third was boosted by the two in front of him that day,so if he gets the breaks today,should be bang there..

salisbury,3 50:

a bit of gloss is taken away by the two non runners here,but still a useful field,and i ll take a chance on the improvement of FLASHCARD.true,its a big step from handicaps into group company,but the way,he won his race last time out suggests,there might be a lot more in the locker,so surely a danger to all today.

6. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Sea of Faith fanclub in clover, 3/1 in a 7 runner handicap for a filly of that calibre <yikes>

7. Grendel

Great Scot was a bit keen in front and got swallowed up by the closers. He kept on reasonably well in a race that panned out as tight as it had looked beforehand. I thought Accidental Agent had got up but Kick On held on for a narrow win. Great Scot looked as if a further drop in trip would not go amiss.

Al Suhail won easily but he pulled hard and it was not as impressive as it might have been. He quickened well but these may well have been limited opponents and on this evidence it seems hard to imagine Al Suhail in the big races he holds entries for. I reckon a low key season may suit the horse better in the long term because he needs to learn to settle better in order to get a mile. He won by four lengths but I doubt he had to improve much from his first start.

Over at Leopardstown Ridenza made a good start to her career. The daughter of Sea The Stars was as weak as a kitten in the early market for the race, drifting right out to 10/1 in places but she was backed right down to 9/4 and won decisively with the Aidan O'Brien favourite back in third place. Ridenza looks capable of holding her own in better company next time and may well turn up in Group class before long.

8. As We Know

Everyone going mad for the Al Suhail performance, looks like hes took half a second of the 2yo track record there.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did you time it Joe, or did you get the time from TurfTrax (RP says no time taken. The only race where no time was taken. I wonder why that was)

10. Grendel

Al Suhail beat a horse who ran to 63 and 65 on his first two starts. With the others being newcomers it is pretty hard to get enthused about the merits of tonight's win. The favourite was rated 23 lbs clear of the only other horse to have run and in winning 4 lengths he has not needed to better his first effort on the track. It would be ridiculous to try to upgrade the runner up by much tonight and irrespective of the time it just wasn't a great show in my opinion.

11. As We Know

if you click on the race the time is there, the html is just messed up, the time is showing in the spot where "fast by" usually shows, happens every now and again

please log in to view this image

Ron likes this.
  12. As We Know

in fact that time is wrong Ron, not sure whats going on there, the clock on atr says 1:25 odd which wouldnt be anything special, 22 seconds final 2f suggests slow early pace as well. Safe to say you wont get much of a price wherever it goes as a lot of hype already for it

Ron likes this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers. The Class 6 race (Time: 1m 23.26s (slow by 1.06s) implies the standard time for 7 fur on the track is 1m 22.20s
    which is the time you have underlined in the Al Suhail race. As you say, strange error by the RP

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  14. Grendel

When no time is recorded the Fast By field will record the time as being FAST by whatever the Standard Time for the distance is. In this case it was 1.22.20

It's simply a question of the Standard Time being subtracted from Zero and giving a time Fast by that amount. I have seen it happen a few times.

I rated Al Suhail on 82 for tonight's win, which won't please his fans but I can't go higher than that based on the runner up's form.

As We Know likes this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just timed it at upload_2019-8-15_23-44-16.png
    No guarantee on the accuracy (only had one go) <laugh>

That would make it 0.64s slow

16. As We Know

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like my timings aren't very good. I wouldn't have thought I could be that far out <laugh>

That is almost 2 secs slower that the Class 6 race. I think whoever put up that headline re Fastest 2yo etc must have been pissed

As We Know likes this.
  18. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

I think Ridenza may be the one to take out of today, as you say Grendel

19. Grendel

The Racing Post have a time for the race now. They are saying it was 1.23.35 ie slow by 1.15s

Al Suhail carried 9st 5lbs compared to the winner of the handicap race who toted 8st 12lbs to victory but the bad news for Al Suhail fans is that Moretti is officially rated just 46.

Paul Brierly is the author of the Twitter headline that had followers creaming their jeans and I think Paddy Power must have been reading the feed because they cut Al Suhail from 33's to 25's for the 2000 Guineas based on a win in a four horse egg and spoon race where two of the contestants were unraced and the runner up had posted two figures in the 60's on Racing Post ratings.

I gave Imperial Empire a slight bump to 70 trying to be optimistic and had Al Suhail on 82 for yesterday, Imperial Empire had previously run behind John Gosden's Verboten and been beaten eight and a half lengths in 4th place. Verboten was given 88 for that win and that is the same figure Al Suhail earned on his debut. The line of form leaves Verboten well ahead of Al Suhail and 25/1 for the Guineas looks appalling value for the Godolphin colt.

Talking of the Guineas, Siskin looks terrible value at 8/1. He is shaping as a classic Sprinter heading for the Middle Park next time. The punters don't seem to take the hint year after year and this looks another accident waiting to happen.

20. As We Know

1.23.35 is a pretty good time, especially considering the slow early pace, final 3f sectionals will be right up the with best id imagine, only Azano and Dutch Treat have clocked faster in 2yo 7f races at Yarmouth and they were carrying less weight.

Can see Grendels point about rating on paper but think the clock suggests this horses ability far exeeds 82, hes group class already imo.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019