1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thread for people who aren't deluded and know season is over

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zorba, Aug 22, 2022.

1. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

With Salah it's like Klopp is scared to bench him to justify the wages he's being paid, but benched he needs to be because he's frankly ****e atm

Zorba and Prince Knut like this.
  2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Jurgen Klopp on Trent:

"Trent Alexander-Arnold is now 23, which means he was 16 or 17 when I met him, so I saw him growing from a boy to a man. It's a part of my job as well to help him find his way as a man."

“There is only one comparison I have and that's the father role: as a son or a daughter you expect from your parents from time to time that they tell you off. But you also have a person around who will support you in all parts of life, and that's my role as well.”

“My players expect me to be strict in moments. I do this mostly for myself, because I like having good relationships. Life is serious enough that we don't have to make problems we have each day bigger than they are.”

"It's never been difficult for me to find the right balance."

...Guess Trent isn't getting his much needed bollocking any time soon then

3. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

9 points out of 18. And we can't really say that we've been unlucky - maybe even have to say we have actually been lucky to get that. The league has gone already - we'd need 100 points this season to stop City, never mind 90+ - and we'll be pushing it this season to get 70, never mind 80. We'll really struggle for that fourth place, imo, with Arsenal and Spurs looking so much stronger. The head-to-head games against Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs will be utterly crucial, and as we've already lost against United I just really can't see us doing it this season.

Nunez? Hmm. Quick and mobile but like Benteke in front of goal. Needs to be running onto the ball, but we're using him with his back to goal holding the ball up when we need to be releasing him down the channels. We wanted him after the performances against us for Benfica, but we're just not using him as they did. And he's not even as good a header of the ball as Diaz is, truth be told.

But what was the idea of putting Milner at RB? I'd have brought Matip on and put Joe at RB, and either moved Trent into midfield (passing to Nunez) or put Milner next to Fab (who was **** after he got winded in the first half, IMO) in a 4-2-3-1. Going to be a long, long season. Hoping it will have shades of 2005, at best, because if we don't win the CL (can we without Mane?) then it'll be Thursday night football at best next season.

<cry>

M!LK likes this.
  4. M!LK

M!LK Well-Known Member

Definitely need big improving.

Lots of us saw this year coming three or four years ago when seeing that all our first team were the same age and would be getting old together.

Salah, Firm, Mane,.Hendo, we've seen it coming for years but some people ignored it because we kept winning. There had to be a break in the good days eventually.

It's time for the next generation. We knew this was coming. Need some good signings over the next few windows and we can be back on top again. We've got some pretty big holes, but we've also got a number of decent younger players to build into the next generation team.

5. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

That's a cracker idea, we can play erm, Ox on the right wing, on no wait we can replace him with erm absolutely ****ing no one.

6. THE FOOL

I may be alone in feeling reasonably optimistic.

It may be because I still keenly remember the days when signing Harry kewel was dressed up a coup, beatung united was the highlight of the season, hoping that we may win the league cup because we had no chance at anything else.

But I can still see this season being a success.

It's early days with alot of new players, Darwin may not have hit the ground running but he's got everything needed to be a great player

Elliott and Carvalho look very good. Diaz looks exceptional even though he's only six months in.

It's by far to soon to be throwing the towel in and calling the season. We may not win the keague, but surely finding the best system and getting the best out of the new players would be deemed a success.

It's hard to watch at the moment but I thought today there where definitely glimpses of what coukd be.

7. moreinjuredthanowen

You are right.

I think diaz is a star if we can get him going the right way

I think nunez is getting dogs abuse for costing money which is such a 1990s attitude. He'll be fine

We.are.just.notngetting the balance right.and attacking is too slow. We have to work on it.

THE FOOL likes this.
  8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We could try Jota or Carvalho there. We could put Elliott there. We could even try Trent first forward. None ideal but all potentially better than the ****e Salah's been serving up in 2022!

Still think the main issue is players settling in but Mo isn't helping matters. He needs a kick up the arse.

9. THE FOOL

I think singling salah out when the team is dysfunction is a bit pointless.

Get him in the box and he will score and make goals, stick him wide right to indulge trends wish to play number 10 and your negating his best qualities.

Play to his strengths rather looking to replace him by shoe Horning a lesser player into his position.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  10. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Always thought now that his play style is well known he needs to be more central instead of being stuck wide especially since he seems purely left footed.

11. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Not singling out in a dysfunctional team, he's been poor since ACON!

Can't get him (or Diaz) more central with Nunez there either, we'll end up with three of them trying to hog the central space, and zero width.

12. THE FOOL

It would nice to be able to see a bit if rotation from the front 3, I expect they are all capable of playing across so it would be a pleasant suprise if they interchanged

Zorba likes this.
  13. THE FOOL

Once nunez feels more comfortable I think we will definitely see him pull wide more often, it will take time for the forwards to start making runs for each other.

We are 3 games in to a new trio, I think its a bit early to say what can't happen.

Prince Knut and Zorba like this.
  14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Totally get that and hope you're right but (to repeat) Salah's been poor since January, he needs a kick up the arse.

Zorba likes this.
  15. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Thought the way he went right in the ****es box and managed to get off a shot was excellent , he's definitely got something a bit different about him.

THE FOOL and Prince Knut like this.
  16. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Weve only lost 1 game so not that hard to see where points coming from. Got points from 5 out of our 6 games.

17. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

You do realise that you could possibly go all of a season without being beaten and only get 38 points, and possibly be relegated? Winning is more important than not getting beat: 1 win + 1 loss + 3 points - 2 x draw = 2 points. We are struggling to win (apart from Bournemouth, obviously). It's a problem.

Zorba likes this.
  18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Yup… because it’s 1 point for a draw. And there are 38 gmes… so the maths is pretty easy.

not sure what that has to do with my point that saying ‘not sure where next point will come from’ is a bit silly given we’ve picked up points in 5 of the 6 games.

19. Zorba

Zorba Well-Known Member

Some people can't see the wood for the trees.
    As Ray Stevens sang..
    'There's non so blind as he who will not see'

20. THE FOOL

At one point from the corner that milner ****ed they broke and salah ran his bollocks off to get back to our box to get the block in.

I dont think its lack of effort on his part.

If its form, dropping him won't matter, If he's not arsed and happy on a bumper new deal, dropping him won't matter.

He's still running, he's still trying, it's not like he's stood there watching people run away from him like a few are happy to do.

He's been phenomal for the past 5 years is it, as soon as his performance takes a dip after playing non stop for most of that time you want to throw him in the bin.

Zanjinho, InBiscanWeTrust and Zorba like this.