1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This form is incredible

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Feb 13, 2018.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Gills do it again Parker with a cracker and Eaves score again. Can we really make the play offs. Plymouth and us were both looking at relagation now both could be in the play offs. We our 6 points behind and they are only 3. Lovell transformation is nothing short of sensational. Who we got last match of season ? Yes its Plymouth.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bollox to the play offs we are definately aiming for automatic........................(If I tell myself often enough I might even believe that)

grumpygit likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

I think the sad ending to all of this story is that IF either of us did go up, we would be coming straight back down again. I can't speak for Plymouth but certainly the Gills do not have the finances to survive in the Championship. We only have to look at Wigan to evidence this, we seem to struggle to compete with the best of League One, that does not bode well for any promotion. Other examples would be Burton Albion, bottom of the Championship. The dreaded problem of a successful promotion season is back to back relegation, look at teams like Coventry and although Leyton Orient did not make the Championship in their good season, look at them now. I think it's too soon for us to go up without suffering the severe consequences of success.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have an owner who will not under any circumstances spend anything if he doesn't have to and if we actually did get anywhere near a promotion he would be having kittens.

Having said that though, and I do agree with your straight back down theory, there is still a bit of me that says if we could maybe just make it then I'd still be cheering it on. It's hard as a supporter not to want to end a season with a promotion. We know what that may entail for the next season of course but still can't quite bring ourselves to want to fail. To be honest I don't actually expect us to be there at the end. Whilst the run carries on though it does make happy viewing.

alwaysright likes this.
  5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I've just got home - tiring drive - but well worth it. The football we played in the fist half was sheer bliss. We really should have scored 4 or 5 ---- we were almost rampant.
    The goal at the beginning of the 2nd half ( cheered by son No.2, because it gave him overĀ£200 in his bet -- and son No.1 had Gills to win 2-1 with Eaves to score - so he went home happy - very happy ) - yeah, that goal gave Cobblers a bit of hope for a while - but anything other than a win for The Gills would have been an injustice.............what was a bit of karma was stepping into a dog turd on my way to my car ! ( but you could say I was as happy as a pig in shit )

grumpygit and brb like this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

gioblues - care to comment ?
    Since your post ( 14th Feb), Gills have won just once in 12 games -- and, after today, we have scored zer0 goals in the last 4 home games......................... I suppose you could say " this form is incredible "

ps - apologies to sensiblegreeny for not awarding my 'like' for his post ( No.4), sooner than today.

7. gioblues

Omg Worse than the curse of Manager of the month.
    This form is increadable for all the wrong reasons.
    Could we be relagated

8. gioblues

Terrible start to season great middle part and dissapointing end. Well at least still in league 1 next season