1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Things we miss from our youth

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, May 20, 2011.

1. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Fellas horse drawn ice cream wagon. (Ice cream with the smell of horse piss bloody lovely)

The Fulwell End.

Helping out on the fruit and veg wagon even being allowed to take the reins at times. (All for a bag of veg for me Mam and a tanner for me)

Saturday morning pictures, then on getting older Saturday morning at the Rink.

Levi jackets with white stitching over the seams.

How proud I was wearing my 14 year old Christmas present, a Ben Sherman shirt, StaPrest trousers, Doc Martin shoes and a slightly oversized Cromby over coat. (Must have cost my parents a fortune. :) )

Putting hosepipe into a racing bikes tyres because I couldn't afford the inner tubes.

Being able to hitch hike all over in the summer holidays with a couple of mates without worrying about Pedos!

Getting all excited for pocket money Friday and dashing to the newsagents to buy that weeks Lion comic.
    This turned into buying the American comics, Superman Spiderman Batman Etc.

I kept all my old comics and they only disappeared after getting married.

I actually had all the early Spidermen comics including this one that sold for £679,000 :p :p :p

please log in to view this image

2. andersonhurleymcnab

3. andersonhurleymcnab

Yes!

:)

4. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

That's me out then! <whistle>

5. andersonhurleymcnab

Perhaps I should have said 45+ then!

6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

MackemsRule
    How proud I was wearing my 14 year old Christmas present, a Ben Sherman shirt, StaPrest trousers, Doc Martin shoes and a slightly oversized Cromby over coat. (Must have cost my parents a fortune

now that i can relate too, but mine were boots... oxblood docs,

7. Pontsafc

Pontsafc Active Member

I think you need to be 60+ to appreciate life, mate. When I was young everything slipped by in a whirl and now I can enjoy today, look forward to tomorrow and have a great time remembering the past.

8. cuteybuns

cuteybuns Active Member

MrRAW : Stick with it, mate. Believe me, it IS worth it. It's got a different significance for us to bright young things setting out on a career. In your 50s, there isn't a hell of a lot of career prospects left. But it's the satisfaction of doing something you've probably always wanted to do and never had the chance. And it's the immense satisfaction of having more about you than just complaining about "me lumbago". You, MrRAW, have not already quit on life, and are just waiting to die like so many old buggers you see down the street.

Go for it, mate, and sincerely the very best of luck to you.

9. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Sitting and talking to my 6 year old daughter recently made me realise how much I miss the innocence of life and the wonderful way that everything for a child is an adventure.

When you get to 46, you have encountered a great deal of cynicism, deceit and disappointment in your life, which scars your view on it sometimes. If you can look at the world through the eyes of a child, especially your own, you are awarded the gift of seeing things much simpler and fresher.

I am thankful that I am blessed with that opportunity every day of my life these days.

10. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

The Olde Tuck Shoppe at Grindon Broadway school.
    Oxford bags trousers, loafer shoes.
    Afghan coats in my headbanging/hippie days. (Mam embroidered a Black Sabbath cross into it).
    Canings at school off our housemistress. I'd pay good money for middle aged women to perform that task now.

11. Lever Malone

Lever Malone Member

On a Friday during the school holidays going to my grans with my mam and my brother. Stopping at the sweet shop on the way and getting a bar of chocolate usually Fry's Five boys. Playing in the little wood near where I lived and the farmers fields just behind it. You had to be careful he didn't like you going onto his land and he had a gun!! That area is housing estates and a Tesco's.

12. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

Dating 20 year olds instead of looking at 56 year old wife lol

13. Shameless

Shameless Well hung member

Great thread. I'm much moved by people recounting tales of their parents who abused them, it makes me feel humble and certainly fortunate.

What do I miss most?
    - spending my pocket money in Chester-le-Street and sometimes Durham or Sunderland. I'd save up for those days and I'd be wetting myself
    - playing footy in the street
    - playing penkas in the school playground
    - going to Roker Park with my uncle when I was 7 - my official baptism
    - and 10 years later (my first thought when I read the thread title) loads of lasses to shag. It aint like that any more ...

14. andersonhurleymcnab

I'll second that.
    In those days the noise from The Roker End was phenomenal. I remember particularly the chant of "Charlie, Charlie" when we got a corner..
    Halcyon days ...

15. andersonhurleymcnab

I can identify with that ...

16. silksworthexile

Good Thread ! Things I miss; my Dad who passed away last year but was responsible for taking me to Roker Park as a 5 year old and starting what is currently 45 years + of pain, heartache, frustration, and the occasional bout of unbelievable joy !

He stopped going himself by the time I was in my teens - I'm convinced he knew what was coming and got me hooked on SAFC as a punishment for something I'd done as a small child !!

Roker Park, obviously and the incredible experience that was the Fulwell End; School holidays spent on Ryhope beach or Tunstall Hills; Sunderland and Distirct Omnibus Co. buses ? (the dark blue ones), lunchtimes in Backhouse Park and those god-awful coloured school blazers we had to wear at Southmoor !!

I still insist on parking south side of the river on match days just to enjoy walking over the bridge as I have done since my teens !

17. SAFCexpat

SAFCexpat Member

Mixed Feelings: The Roker End (being passed over grown ups shoulders because it was simply so crowded for our greatest ever post war Roker Game game Vs Man City FA Cup) and the Fulwell End ( bottles being thrown at the roof to shower down glass fragments during a SAFC/Mags game)

And programmes for 3d of which I have many in my loft with Monty/Charlie/George and George in the team.