1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

There is no case for keeping Unai Emery anymore

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NLDISRED, Jun 6, 2019.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

That's simply not true.

Even if we had Klopp, Pep or Conte as manager, none of them would guarantee us top 4. However, it would significantly improve our chances. Which is precisely the point.

We need to go for managers who we'd have a better chance of getting CL football with, as well as improving our style of football. Emery is getting us nowhere. The others most likely would improve us in both regards.

Ornstein said today that he's lost part of the dressing room because some players are unclear about what he wants from them. And that, whilst the Arsenal board are still keeping faith in him, he won't necessarily be granted until the end of the season.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

What's not true ?

3. BrunelGooner

Sorry, I misread something you wrote. I thought you were saying there's no point sacking Emery unless any of the other managers can guarantee top 4.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

No, I meant the £6m v £40m equation that was put forward on Radio 5 Live as an absolute. It's not guaranteed. We could spend £6m on sacking Emery and still miss out on the £40m from Champions League. I do agree that Emery isn't making much of a case for staying at Arsenal at the moment, but I do not want to see any mid season knee jerk decisions.

Like I said, if Allegri wanted to come, then that's a no brainer. He's an instant upgrade. But other than that I do not want to see us taking a punt, simply because we're not sure about Emery. He should be given until the end of the season. If we don't make top 4 then we need to start again with somebody who can.

5. BrunelGooner

I respect that view. However, if by January we are miles off the pace and look totally directionless, surely we have to pull the plug?

Our next 3 games are Liverpool, Wolves and Leicester. Ok the Liverpool game is a cup match, but we got 1 point from those 2 league fixtures last season. If we replicate that tally this time around, Emery is already in deep trouble when we'd only be in November.

Piskie honestly, does it not worry you that already some players have lost faith in him?

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, I said earlier that the two scenarios I'd want to see him replaced are (1) Allegri is available (2) We're floundering in the bottom half in Jan.

It does worry me about some of the reports coming out about players not understanding him, and the Ozil situation is embarrassing. I'm prepared to see what Emery can do about that though, rather than just pull the trigger on him. Josh Kronke apparently met with him after the Palace game and made it clear that he is expected to deliver, so he at least deserves the chance. If we finish 5th or lower then he can have no excuses really.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I've already said - I dont think Lampard will last at Chelsea. However SOME ex-pros will make it at the top level of management MOST won't.

8. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

the big if imo is whether Allegri is actually available (as he maybe under a contract to not join another team) and can join us, and who else is available - José is possibly out of work but would he be the answer.

If we don’t go for Allegri we would need to prise a manager away from another team and that is always a protracted process and one we haven’t had to do for 25 years

9. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

The Arsenal hierarchy have decided enough is enough, according to Duncan Castles. Plans are already in place for a change in management. Emery has 2 games to sort this. Vitoria (midweek) and Leicester. That's it.

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Enough is enough AND he has two games to sort it out? Contradiction. Enough is clearly not enough just yet if he still has two games.

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Well I would assume they're waiting to see if he could turn things around. But the writing is on the wall as we'd be 9 points off top four if Leicester win

12. BrunelGooner

If we do go for Mourinho, then he will have to get results quickly because I can't see fans warming to him (straight away). There seems to be a split over whether Arsenal fans want him or not. I don't know whether that's down to the desperation of wanting Emery gone or whether people actually think Mourinho would improve us.

I can't help but feel that this seems to be short-term thinking by the club. At best, he might do ok for 2 years, but the 3rd season is when he tends to self-destruct. That's been the case with most clubs he's been at. This appointment wouldn't be a long-term solution to our woes.

13. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

You lot should have gone for Rodgers when you had the chance .

14. BrunelGooner

Easy to say with hindsight. How do you think Arsenal fans would have reacted to BR being appointed manager if it happened at the time? Let's be honest here, no-one genuinely thought Rodgers would be doing this well.

remembercolinlee and gooner4ever like this.
  15. Solid_Air 2

I expected him to do well at Leicester though not sure if they can sustain a top 4 position without a lot of luck with injuries. His biggest problem is he loves the sound of his own voice & he talks some right bollocks but he can set up a team & is a very good coach , but yeh i remember when he was linked you lot you all seemed seemed a tad lukewarm on the idea to say the least <laugh>
    My view is you should give Emery more time but since the atmosphere at the Emirates is already getting toxic that may be impossible .

16. BrunelGooner

There are two main issues I have with Rodgers.

1) He needs to be at a club where he feels valued and appreciated. He never fully got that at Liverpool and even towards the end of his Celtic reign (before he was linked with the Leicester job), Celtic fans were questioning him. This is despite total domination of Scotland and a huge improvement in their style of football. Leicester could be one of those jobs where it's just the perfect fit. The fans are fully behind him and what he's trying to achieve. He would not get that instant gratification at Arsenal because there would still be fans questioning his capabilities as a manager.

Which leads me onto my second point...

2) I still have reservations over whether he can cut it at a 'top club'. Granted he is still young in managerial terms, but can he handle the rigours and demands of being in charge of a top 6 side? Will he able to deal with the constant scrutiny he would be under from Arsenal fans? Can he ride out a sticky patch? I am still not sure.

As for Emery, I think he's had enough time. There's been no progression in any footballing capacity. He's been supported heavily. And he is continuing to underperform.

Emery came from winning 3 Europa Leagues at Sevilla, which effectively landed him the PSG job. He finished 2nd in his first year to Monaco, and then won the league his second year, but the two things he will always be renowned for is blowing a 5-0 lead against Barcelona to lose the tie. And struggling to handle big personalities.

It's why I have reservations about Rodgers. Emery has proven he can do well at smaller clubs when the pressure isn't so high. When he's been at a bigger club with larger expectations, he has struggled. Rodgers could go the same way.

17. Solid_Air 2

well we will never know if BR can now cope with a top team until / if one gives him a go . Just think his football ethos would have suited you lot .

18. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

No way Brendan Rodgers would not be a better option than Unai. At best he would be of a similar standard at worst he would be a disaster.

We need an elite coach if we wanna compete with Klopp/Guardiola.

Simeone/Allegri/DeBoer .. could possibly add Mourinho to that list(but he hasn't cut it recently)

19. BrunelGooner

Why do you keep suggesting De Boer? He flopped at Inter, flopped at Palace horribly and is now managing an MLS team.

The other suggestions are fine, but him? Steer clear.

Quilllogic likes this.
  20. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Simeone is who we need. Keep saying. We need someone who can knock a few heads together. Neither Wenger or Emery seem to be able to organize an actual defensive line, it seems. This is basic stuff, even championship managers can organize a basic defence, right? We need to get back to basics.