1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Young Saints

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by benditlikeabanana, Apr 30, 2017.

1. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

We can speculate on the summer signings, yet the toughest decisions have to be make soon by both club and players regarding the future of bunch of players around the 22 year age. we have 6 players that have been involved in the first team this season, yet if the 1st team is strengthened during the summer, these young players may have some serious doubts about their future. Targett, Sims, McQueen, Hesketh, Reed and Stephens may all lose their places. Stephens has impressed so is probably the safest, I have also liked the way he moves into midfield so may be an option as a partner to Romeu. One of Targett or McQueen to be back up to Berti. We have McCarthy on loan and Gallagher I believe is out of contract in the summer.
    This summer there may be a big cull in the 22 year old players, or alot sent out on loan, there is also Seager, Barnes, Isgrove, and probably a few more.
    Most can still be involved with the U23 next season, but whats best for these players ?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Hesketh.

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

It read like a Just William book...Hesquith

4. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

I would be interested to see their ages versus other known high quality premiership youngsters to see what they are up against in terms of making it in a top 8 prem team and compare how good some of ours really are. I cannot be bothered to do that myself of course.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Qwerty likes this.
  5. saintlyhero

Sims is a little younger than the others I believe

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Yeah he is a year back, also would like to mention Hojbjerg who is younger than all except Sims/Targett.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I think it's best for both parties if Reed moves on now, not a bad player but I just don't see him ever cracking it here, but he could do well down the pyramid a bit. Would like to see Stephens given the starting job next season and I'd be very happy to see McCarthy and Gallagher back into the fold. Rest as they are really, I think there's a lot of value to having academy players involved as depth as they will always do a job and are happier to be down the pecking order a bit. And with Stephens, McCarthy, Targett, McQueen, Sims, Hesketh and Gallagher we've almost got a 2nd/3rd XI already. No Europe next year so I don't really think the squad needs thickening out, just upgrading/replacing.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yep, Pierre suffers a bit from his price tag, I still think that he will be a top player in a few years.

Qwerty likes this.
  9. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

If Gallagher does agree to another year, he could fill the JRod role of coming on for the last 10 minutes, but hopefully with a smile on his face

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I would say the Stephens is by no means safe at CB. He is in one of the toughest positions to play, but I know he can also play RB and DM. Targett is absolutely fine at LB. McQueen can play anywhere down the left side. Personally, I think McQueen could turn out to be quite a player in the future. Some of his positive stuff has really impressed me this season. Hesketh just needs a little time because I think he has plenty to offer. Sims is already proven good enough. He's got bags of skill and class. Reed I am still not convinced by. He's a tough little player but he loses concentration occasionally and doesn't command his area of influence. I think he should go out on loan because he's wasting his time, in my opinion, at the moment. McCarthy and Barnes I haven't seen enough of to comment, but Gallagher and Isgrove I have and they aren't going to make it at Saints, in my opinion. Seager I like and I think he might. I want him to anyway, as he is a finisher of the shorter, fast and strong brigade, which we're not overflowing with.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I thought Stephens "position" was CDM. I will stand corrected though if I am talking out my backside. I'd like to see how he played there alongside Oriol, so we had an idea.

12. saintlyhero

He started off as a centre back at Plymouth, I think he played right back for his handful of saints appearances under Nige.
    Then on his two year loan at Swindon(who played a back three) he played as part of that initially and then moved up to CDM. You can see there is a little bit about him with the ball and a certain calmness.

Notice Saints do this a lot with defensive players.
    McCarthy was both a Centre Back/Right Back for the Academy
    Alfie Jones was excelling as a Centre back last season, but has been playing as a CDM for a lot of this season

fatletiss likes this.
  13. fatletiss

Thanks. I was at his first appearance as a RB. Away to Coventry in the cup. He came on for he last few minutes and looked assured.

14. saintlyhero

Name - age - contract ends summer

Isgrove - 24 - 2017
    Stephens - 23 - 2019
    Reed - 22 - 2021
    McQueen - 22 - 2021
    Targett - 21 - 2019
    Gallagher - 21 - 2018
    McCarthy - 21 - 2017
    Seager - 21 - 2018
    Hesketh - 21 - 2021
    Barnes - 20 - 2020
    Sims - 20 - 2020

Been expecting it for a while, but Isgrove must be off this summer.
    Would echo the sentiments that I hope McCarthy gets a new contract. To get player of the season two seasons in a row at different clubs shows a level of mental fortitude which shouldn't be ignored.

VocalMinority likes this.
  15. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Need to sign McCarthy up to a new contract ASAP. Could be some player for us in the future.

Depending on the Bertrand situation this summer, I'd loan out Targett too.

Gallagher needs a new contract in my opinion, and Reed needs to be given a go alongside another CDM (him and Romeu could work together), when earlier in the season he was the lone CDM.

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I think Targett deserves a chance to show what he can do....he has missed most of a very important season for him. You can contrast what has happened to him to what has happened with Jack Stephens. Matty missed the chance to show what he could do and learn, whereas Jack had a chance he could only dream about and grabbed it. So unless Puel says that he doesn't want him and won't play him, I'd rather he stayed here for now.

17. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't sign Gallagher and McCarthy up, McCarthy obviously as a point of urgency. The versatility McCarthy, Stephens and McQueen possess is so valuable, a credit to our academy as usual. I like both Targett and McQueen but I could understand if one of them is loaned out if we consider that too much of a log jam.

Saints Fan4Life and fatletiss like this.
  18. fatletiss

How long has Gallagher got left? I'd need to see him trying against Premier league opponents to decide if he'll make it. I've always said I didn't think he'd quite be good enough. He's done very well at Blackburn, but that doesn't mean it's good enough.

If he has another year left, I wouldn't offer him a new one yet. I'd bring him back, interstate him and see how he does.

19. fatletiss

Just seen Sam's contract ends in 2018. I certainly wouldn't offer him a new one now.

20. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'd give him a not particularly lucrative two year extension if he'd take it at least. Wouldn't want him having a good year and then risk some team trying to tempt him with silly wages on a free. Or him having a great year and a big team snaps him up. Even if he had minimal impact I think a low Championship or L1 team would take him off our hands if we didn't see his future here so not like we'd be stuck with him.

Don't think we'd need to invest much to just avoid there being any possible issues ahead, so better safe than sorry.