1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

the woeful summer has began

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by 2010 tops dog, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

Some people need to let the team settle down, play some PL games then judge.

2. Wisey's Hair

Wisey's Hair Well-Known Member

This summer has been anything but woeful. Good to very good in my book.

3. 2010 tops dog

2010 tops dog Well-Known Member

I have had the the last two years to be able to judge our defence is farce

4. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

These signings our all average players or simply ****e in Colback

I'd say our first eleven is weaker than two seasons ago but perhaps we have better depth.

We need a quality spring to or team

1 cb
    2 cm playmaker
    3. Striker

It's clear to me tiote is being sold also

5. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

Are you seriously saying that Cabella is an average player? Or SDJ?

If you are then I seriously suggest you seek urgent medical attention

6. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Yeah I am you can't say for sure other wise yet he's not a first choice international and is unproven in the Premier league.

I think he will be better than average but the fact is when we sign players we go on as if there better than what we have sold based on pretty limited knowledge.

Is he better than Cabaye?
    Is De jong better or as good

U can't know

7. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

I must say the love for Cabaye seemed to escalate once he left. Good player, but we can hardly counting him alongside the likes of Rob Lee and Gary Speed.

SDJ looks a tidy player. Very highly regarded two years ago. We'll wait and see, it's all we can do, but I don't think we should be under the illusion that Cabaye was the best midfielder we've ever had.

8. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Well f**k me sideways did I say he Was?

Just to enlightened any more of the so called footballing intelligencia on here the argument was whether we can say our new signings are anything other than average.

Roland I usually agree with you but not on everything my friend.

9. Lord Jonjomort

So I don't think Cabaye arrived with any better a reputation than SDJ or Cabella. Arguably, we have two players who arrive with more illustrious reps, so if Cabaye is a gauge for being a better-than-average signing, it's impossible to ignore the positive signs.

10. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Jesus Roland stop opening doors to escape the fact your missing my point.

I'll say it again

You can't say these players are better than average

I used the fact we know Cabaye cuts it at premier league but it's confused you clearly.

I don't recall saying we knew Cabaye was but tell me if I'm wrong.

Roland ha I love saying Roland

11. Lord Jonjomort

So is your point that every player coming into the league can only be called average until they've proven they can cut it? I wholly disagree - Siem De Jong has an excellent record for Ajax, with a large number of trophies, plaudits, and performances of note in the Champions League. He may turn out to be average in the Prem, but as it stands he's clearly, statistically, a very good player, much better than average. Cabella is slightly more unknown, but again his performances in France for a smaller side are exceptional and his stats for assists and goals are very, very good. By all accounts he's also a very good player. Janmaat is also better than average, again going on stats, reputation and even World Cup performances.

Colback is an opinion, I suppose. He's "good" in my personal opinion, so slightly better than average. I do agree with you, he's a Pards player and he'll live or die by that one whether he's good or not. Riviere, Ayoze, Ferreyra have to come with the "average" tag, but you'd do well to argue against the above (though you're welcome to try, and I suspect you will!).

I'll caveat everything by repeating that I think Pardew is in for a real fall this season. It's just a feeling. And with our recent change of strategy, I am actually optimistic about potential replacements. I could well see Anita and SDJ's old boss coming here.

12. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Again

You can't say they are better than average

Perhaps if I'd added at premiership level you would have stopped going around in circles Roland.

I'm optimistic but at the same time more hopeful

We've spent nowt and lost players we knew can produce in this league.

We've gambled

All average signings are gambles but just because I like new signings doesn't mean they are all good ones.

You can't think you know how to beat a fruit machine

Just like Sunderland fans last season getting excited signing many average players your going to look daft.

13. YankMag

YankMag Active Member

I agree. I think by 27 both de jong and Cabella should be better. Everyone says cabaye was a great player because he won the league with lille. They won because of hazard, sow and gervinho. He is good no doubt but he didn't fit our system to play in the floating role behind the striker and was wasted in a holding role. I think our season rides on riviere and chuckyy. If they can get some goals we should do well.

B+ window for me. Much better than I've ever seen.

14. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Like a desperate peasant accepting some bread you presume it's good bread.

15. Lord Jonjomort

I'm not getting excited, though? Every signing is a gamble, and I've already said that I expect this team to struggle in the early stages of the season, that's my feeling. But I also don't think SDJ, Cabella or Janmaat are average players. They are good, solid players with statistics and medals to back that claim up.

We've spent money, we just don't have a capital outlay that exceeds our incomings. In what walk of life is this a bad idea, which business actively sets out to lose money??

The only fact you can state is that, in terms of the Premiership, they are UNPROVEN. But such a statement isn't enough of a "look at me, I'm MrNegative" to make.

16. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

EVERY player coming to the PL is unproven. Just because they can hack it elsewhere doesn't mean they will here. Just look at the number of big money signings from Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal that are bulleted very quickly or look rubbish in their 1st season.

17. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

We have an average team I'm fairly confident of that

But it could be worse at the same time it could be better

We just can't say yet

18. Wisey's Hair

Charming.

Just to pick you up on your point about us not spending any money, as you keep banging on about it, we actually have now. I'm assuming you're referring to only using the money we have brought in from the sales of Cabaye and Debuchy. Lets have a look shall we?

Sales: Cabaye- lets say £20m, officially £19 with add-ons. Debuchy- various reports, between 8 and 12m. So lets say £10m for middle ground. Total £30m

Buys: Perez- reported £1.5m, certainly no more than £2m, but lets stick with £1.5m
    Colback- free
    Siem de Jong- Variety of figures, but all seem to be in a ballpark of around £6m
    Remy Cabella- Have heard all sorts of figures, between £7m and £12m. Higher figures seem more common so I'll say £10m to round it off
    Manu Riviere- About £5m, possibly a little more but can't be sure
    Daryl Janmaat- £5m again
    Facundo Fererrya- on loan, but a fee of £1.6m reported for this deal.
    Lascelles and Darlow- Figures of £5m and £7m quoted. Lets go for £6m middle ground.

Total by my calculations are £35.1 million spent on transfer fees so far this window. So a net spend of £5.1 million- obviously this is guesswork of sorts but I think I've been fair. Potentially more is being spent if you include agent fees etc.

Happy to hear your thoughts, as long as you engage your brain before typing!

19. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Your numbers are not factual and you forgot the 8 million we sold by for

I'm not going to be pleased with 5 million even if your correct that's pathetic for a premier league club

20. Wisey's Hair

Who is 'by'?

Its not factual but its a best guess based on commonly accepted figures, I think I've underestimated figures spent to be honest. Its more likely than your consistent refrain of "we've not spent anything" because you've not really attempted to back up your argument.

Out of interest, how much capital expenditure would you consider an acceptable level for a premier league club?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.