1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'where is Manny' Singapore GP chat and predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Sep 11, 2017.

?

Who will take the chequered flag

Poll closed Sep 16, 2017.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

13.3%
  2. Seb Vettel

46.7%
  3. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kimi Raikonnen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Danny Ricciardo

20.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

20.0%
  7. Jolyon Palmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Stirling Moss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Manny EMSC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

You mean blowing the student load on beer? I know I did. :p

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

With 8 cars failing to finish I was starting to wish I voted for him in the poll at one point.

3. SgtBhaji

With your luck, he'd have won!

4. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Every time I vote for one of those Red Bull people they come second. A miss is a good as a mile in this game. I may as well have voted for Palmer for all the good it did me.

5. SgtBhaji

I was going to just go for Hamilton... Then I thought it through and got it completely wrong. :)

6. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

I regularly ride a Ducati 750ss and in the 70s raced a Kart so I'm well aware not only of what's all around me at all times but also potential Risk levels and the effects of Adrenaline and for your information the levels of risk are increasing, can't imagine why !!

Even at your age you must have noticed the increasing habit of drivers pulling out into the path of on-coming traffic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  7. SgtBhaji

This slow-mo video is interesting. Max seems to be moving left as Vettel is closing the door on him, Kimi moving right slightly for the upcoming corner. Vettel seems to have cleared Max at the point Max and Kimi get all wrapped up.

Still not seeing how Vettel was anywhere in the wrong there.

tomcat606 likes this.
  8. eddie_squidd

tbh If you just voted for Hamilton at every race you'd be there or thereabouts by the end of the season.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  9. eddie_squidd

If Seb was then Kimi was. He had loads of room on his left and was still drifting to his right into Max.

10. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

It looks to me that both Ferarris would have ended up crashing into each other according to the angles I am seeing there...say Max had opted out then with the speed the Ferraris were going they were bound to hit smack on.

ErnieBecclestone likes this.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

No, it's tricky to see how a car veering left across 2/3rds of the track could have had anything to do with the incident at all <whistle>

Max was backing out, hence he drops back at the last moment as he sees the inevitable happening. He had the initial run on Vettel but seems to realise the gap is closing when Kimi sprints alongside him. I think he actually realised the position was lost and very un-Max like tried to avoid the collision. There was little else he could do.

Vettel didn't need to come across as much as he did, was always heading on a collision course with Max and Kimi if they kept they're foot in, which Kimi did but Max didn't. If as dhel says Max had backed out earlier, at what point would Vettel have seen Kimi, if at all? Max in a way possibley saved an even more embarrassing situation for Ferrari, at least they had someone in the middle to put the blame on!

dhel and ErnieBecclestone like this.
  12. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Exactly right, couldn't have put it better myself.

13. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

That is exactly what i think happened. The angle kimi and Vettel were coming at each other ....Kimi to get the run on Max and vettel also to get to the corner first. Vettel wouldnt have seen Kimi coming so would have been unaware that he was there and coming so quickly. Kimi wouldnt have expected Vettel to be also coming at that angle and it is also likely that he didnt see Vettel as he was more concentrating on Max. So when Max tries to pull out of the scrap it is too late for the ferrari pair. The angle tey were coming at each other and the speed with both not aware of each other's position then they were bound to clash. I believe that if Max had gotten out both ferraris woud have slammed into each other. I dont.think Kimi trajectory changed that much after he went over Max wheel so he was boud to slam into Vettel. I still believe that Vettel should not have gone so far over and could have avoided the crash, play the long game and i am sure reace strategy would hve worked in his favor and he probably would have finished infront of Lewis. You cant win if you cant finish, and you certainly cant win in the first corner. It seems to me that Vettel was a bit desperate to get that front spot. Lewis and Danny were lucky not to follow them or their race might have ended there too.

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

looks to me like Seb starts to straighten as he reaches Max, which is pretty much pole-sitter S.O.P. these days, push the other guy to the edge of the track, personally I don't like it, nor do I like purposefully driving people off the circuits, but I don't recall the people complaining about Vettel now saying anything about it when Hamilton is the aggressor.

15. SgtBhaji

So of Max backs off, anticipating

Like this just recently in Italy... Although to me, I'm fine with a bit of squeezing and blocking. :)

16. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Cant remember hamilton causing an accident doing that either... but i am not saying.Vettel did an illegal move, i am just saying his move caused a chain of events as both he and Kimi werent aeare of where each other were and they were on course for a crash according.to the trajectory both were on and the speeds they were travelling...almost like a wedgewith Max in between. If they had missed Max most like they would have found each other in that split second...they were not aware of where each other were. So thats why it was a racing.incident. the bigger point is that with crucial championship points at stake i would not have challenged Max so aggressively....he i not.in the championship race... i would have been more concerned of where hamimton was on track and my aim would be to finish ahead of him. Vettel jad the car to do it and most likely win the race. Although mercedds under Lewis is very quick in the wet.

17. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Wasnt Lewis a good distance off Lance already? He cleared lance easily from what i saw there.

18. SgtBhaji

Still forced him to get out of the throttle.

dhel likes this.
  19. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Didn't result in any collisions previously whoever did it. Vettel has done it many times in the past as well, lets face it they all do, but when it ends up like it did at Singapore I find it hard to accept that it's all okay because a) everyone does it or b) its an unwritten rule that a pole sitter can do it. It is desperate driving because someone has had a bad start.

Like any move to defend a position, it should only be done it is safe to do so.

It was a whole chain of circumstances that caused this one.

ErnieBecclestone likes this.
  20. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

This is where I have the problem, the outcome should have no bearing on the act. Austria last year is a great example, I don't see how they could punish Rosberg for doing what they let Hamilton do simply because Hamilton turned into him and they collided, he'd been left enough room to go around the outside, something Rosberg never got from him. So, if anyone should've been penalised it should've been Hamilton, as the stewards had already indicated that taking wide apexes to purposefully push your competitor off track was allowed by refusing to punish it.

Once you start allowing this type of driving then you cannot start apportioning blame to one driver or the other when it was the stewards fault for not acting sooner.

In conclusion, the accident was the stewards fault.

Smithers likes this.