1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Webb Ellis Rugby Union World Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Sep 16, 2019.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks all the matches with one side scoring 60 plus points is ridiculous and makes a mockery of a so-called 'world' Cup?

2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

In sport some teams are better than others.

What are you proposing? Excluding all but the best few? I think the smaller teams still enjoy being there after winning their place...

Osvaldorama, ChilcoSaint and tomw24 like this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You’re completely missing the point there. Take Russia as an example, they only qualified for the World Cup unexpectedly so just appearing on worldwide TV is a triumph for them and will inspire huge numbers of Russian kids to take up the sport. If the emerging rugby nations never got a chance to compete on the world stage they’ll never improve. And shock results happen in World Cups too, Uruguay beating Fiji, Japan beating Ireland, and France only just beating Tonga.

Of course one of only about 4 or 5 teams will win the trophy, but that’s the same in most sports. The best thing about the Rugby World Cup though, is the fact that the fans, men, women and children from all the different countries, mix together, drink together, applaud each other’s teams, and generally have a great time, making the most of the host country’s attractions with never a hint of animosity. Worth doing for that alone, never mind the brilliant rugby to be watched.

4. SaintLapras

Nope, as with cricket I think the major nations should take more responsibility for the development of other nations. When do England or Wales or Ireland ever play Georgia or Spain or whoever outside of the world Cup? Same in cricket, when do England or Australia ever play Afghanistan or the Netherlands? If these teams only get to play the so called elite once every four years, how are they supposed to get any better? Cricket and rugby both seem pretty much closed shops to me.

Though at least in cricket, games even against the likes of Ireland, Afghanistan and so on are a bit more competitive.

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Italy play against England, Wales and Ireland every year and don't get better. These teams aren't very good because of the very limited pool of players they have to choose from. Playing the big teams every year won't change that.

6. SaintLapras

It will help to raise the profile of the sport in the country leading to more people playing it. Also seeing their country playing against the top players in the world, especially if such matches are played away, will help to inspire more people to take it up. Plus at least Italy are competitive and have come close to winning against some of the top teams in prior six nations tournaments.

7. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

You have successfully argued against your original point there Laps, well done <ok>

VocalMinority and fatletiss like this.
  8. SaintLapras

I meant outside of a world cup... And on a more regular basis than once every four years.

9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Further to my earlier post, there are currently affiliated Rugby Unions in 126 different countries, with over 4.5 million registered players. Qualification for the World Cup is automatic for the top 3 teams in each pool at the previous WC, the other 8 places being filled by regional, cross-regional, and repechage tournaments in the 4 years leading up to each WC. So emerging nations get plenty of games against teams at their own level, with the best 8 playing against the best in the world.

10. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

If they don't want to be there then don't turn up. I'm sorry laps but it's a world cup. The best team will win. The minnows will learn massively and it will inspire others, can only be good right?

ChilcoSaint likes this.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use Italy as a reliable example. South American nations are clearly improving, and Japan are the model example.

They were whipping boys three or four World Cups ago. New Zealand put 145 points past them in one game during the '95 World Cup.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Anyway, I'm here in Japan for the Eng vs France game. Haha

So blame me, not the Typhoon. <laugh>

VocalMinority and ChilcoSaint like this.
  13. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Dave tries the ancient Welsh “dragon snot” cure for hair restoration ...... :emoticon-0102-bigsm

upload_2019-10-11_9-11-5.jpeg

14. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Oops, wrong thread ..... should have been in the Rabbit Hutch. Sorry :emoticon-0111-blush

15. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Scotland threatening legal action if they are kicked out...

"Cancelled Matches
    Where a pool Match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to the following day, and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be declared a draw and Teams will be allocated two Match points each and no score registered. For the avoidance of doubt, no bonus points will be awarded."
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

Not sure they can really complain, rules are pretty clear.

16. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Anyone get the feeling that this tournament might be stood on its head, and the teams expected to reach the final won't and the final will end up between Australia v France, neither of whom have illuminated the game in recent years. With France, it has been about three decades, and the era of Serge Blanco. It is worth a punt!!

Oz have a habit of playing well in World Cups and do have players who can hurt England in the qfs, and NZ in a semi, while France have nothing to lose and will throw everything at the opposition in their matches.

Put on the level head and the final should be between New Zealand and Wales/SA, but I am not confident about that.

17. SaintLapras

Yes, but playing their own level means they'll never get better because you need more than getting pasted once every four years to get better.

18. SaintLapras

I'm all for the best teams winning and the minnows getting knocked out in the group stage, where I have an issue is with the 66 3 scorelines. And will they learn? They don't have much learning opportunity when their learning window is two weeks once every four years, and teams are still getting hammered 66 3 or whatever time after time.

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Each pool consists of 5 teams, each playing 4 games over 3 weeks. Please get your facts right, in the 33 pool games played so far, there have been just 4 where one team scored more than 60 points. So it’s hardly “time after time”.

Anyway, I honestly can’t see your problem with a 60+ score line. In rugby that’s not much different to a football team being beaten 4-0.

20. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I'd complain! Rules are there to be broken! (or updated, they always are when they're wrong) It's a crucial match, in fact the only crucial match so far. There is no sensible reason why the game can't be put back 1 day.