1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The way forward

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 13, 2021.

1. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Well that’s fairly comprehensive then <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

<laugh> <cheers>

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

What was that you say?

Literacy levels these days...

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

So as long as you declare someone a candidate to take over then you can pull the trigger on the manager without having got someone ready and available signed up? Okay

5. humanbeingincroydon

If you bothered reading what I said, which seems to be an issue on this board as you're not the only person who didn't, you'd be aware that what I said was sacking without a plan is what we shouldn't do

This is why I brought up the 2003-4 season, where we sacked Hoddle in September and installed David Pleat as caretaker, as it was obvious we had no plan because we didn't bring in Frank Arnesen as DoF until May 2004, meaning that it was eight months after Hoddle was sacked before Martin Jol was suggested as a replacement, and a month after that where Jacques Santini announced he'd be leaving the France job at which point we foolishly went for a Big Name™ while bringing in Jol as an assistant (before Jol shuffled up the bench a few months later when Santini flounced out the door and nobody seemed disappointed by this)

So, have we sacked the ubermensch without a plan in place to replace him?

6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Think i have to disagree about sacking without a plan. Semantics to me.

I think there's always a plan to hire someone, it depends what name is available even in your 2003/4 example (the plan was get arnesen in then get a manager). In this instance, you're getting a manager what, 3/4 months later?

In this instance, i see this as similar to the 2003 situation as you are taking a massive gamble if the plan is nagelsmann as if he has a choice between Bayern and Tottenham then i can only see him choosing one unless he really want to manage in the european super league.

we'll just have to agree to disagree

7. humanbeingincroydon

This is why I also brought up Dortmund, as they've had Marco Rose in place for next season since February so unless he gets hit by a car they can immediately plan for next season as soon as the season's done, meaning they can have a focus on what they need to do in the summer - whereas if we sacked the ubermensch and then sat on making a decision until the end of the season, that not only adds uncertainty as we could be scrabbling around for a new manager into June or even July, but also have less time to implement tactics and refresh and/or rebuild the squad

I do get the feeling that a lot of our approach for Nagelsmann rests on the belief/assumption that Allegri is top of Bayern's list of prospective managers, though - which is the other reason we needed to send feelers out a lot earlier if that isn't the case, even before the DFB threw a spanner in the works

8. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

You've said the same about Pochettino. I'm wondering if your definition of 'arrogant' is what others might call 'confident'. Either way, I have no problem with coaching staff having an arrogant streak (I think all leaders naturally do, and need to), as long as they are achieving results.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You can understand someone like Mourinho being arrogant, though. It may still grate, but you can see where it comes from.
    I expect that most of the players joined Danny Rose in Googling Sacramento's name when he joined.
    If he was chucking his weight around unnecessarily, then I doubt it would go down very well.

10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

HBIC you need to moderate your attitude. People may not agree with your opinions that's why we are all here to discuss these matters. You cannot then adopt the attitude that if they disagree it's because they haven't read your post. You know the rules you have been on here a long time when you disagree you need to do it respectfully and not with an attitude quote :-{ If you bothered reading what I said, which seems to be an issue on this board as you're not the only person who didn't, you'd be aware }

Nobody is obliged to read anything or agree for that matter so please moderate the way you talk to people Thanks.

11. humanbeingincroydon

This is where Villas-Boas doomed himself at Chelsea: he walked in on day one acting like he was The Boss, and I like to imagine he wasn't a million miles away from that clip from The Apprentice, which immediately had John terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba decide they'd show him who was running things

And the thing is he didn't seem to learn from this, because at Spurs he immediately imposed a 4231 formation in spite not having the personnel for it, then reverted to a 442 and tried to make out he was a more humble and mature manager due to the tactics seeing us drop points in the last five minutes - and then the next season reverted to 4231 because he was The Boss...briefly
    Brian literally said he wouldn't read my posts, so it's fair comment

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

13. The Huddlefro

When are we applying? Our manager is halfway between our ages so we’re clearly the kind of people Levy wants at the club.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

My CV's ready to go, already got my Football Manager achievements listed on it, plus I can provide links to my posts on here to how I spotted Ollie Watkins at Exeter and told everyone Jack Grealish would be a great player.

15. The Huddlefro

Ok you can do the actual good players, my role will be to stress test the new recruits for ****housery.

Marcel Sabitzer and Sergio Ramos are my top summer targets.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

Trevor Burch has been sacked too?

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I think this restructuring is good.

DH - Director of Football.
    Hudd - ****housery Analysis Expert.
    Brian - Chief Scout/ Head of Anti Mourinho Media.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Everyone's getting sacked.

Well except Harry Kane.

19. humanbeingincroydon

Can I get Head of Media Relations/Security?

They really should be the same thing...

Dier Hard likes this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Should've happened years ago, FFS.