1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The way forward for 2019-20

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, May 6, 2019.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

SpursDisciple likes this.
  2. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

He got dropped when the squad was cut to 23

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/may/27/england-nations-league-final-squad-270519

So we only have to worry about Rose, Dier, Kane and Alli getting crocked.

From a purely England standpoint I don’t know why Winks got cut because he always performs well for England and if Kane is fit, surely Winks is. But I’m happy for him to get a rest with my Spurs hat on!

3. "Thanks for that Brian"

Yes. He needs to get properly fit this summer and come back ready to prove his worth. I'm a fan but I want us to buy 2 central midfielders to challenge him and Sissoko. For my money, Dier's future is in defence.

PowerSpurs likes this.
  4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I agree on Dier, I think his time at RB and CM will have served him well in terms of broadening his skills and his understanding of the game, but CB is probably his home. If we sell Toby I imagine we will sign another young CB to push Foyth and rely on Jan, Dave and Dier for our three senior CBs.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

On a similar note, I'd suggest that Winks' future is as a DM - he's got the positioning and reading of the game to pick off passes in midfield to regain possession coupled with the passing and technique to move the ball on to his teammates quickly, and it's no coincidence the likes of Amadou Diawara and Sander Berge fit into that same broad description

And, for the Egyptologists, there's a radar diagram suggesting that I may be onto something

please log in to view this image

...or maybe getting teabagged playing Tetris 99, it's hard to be sure with these things

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Yes, he's the holding player we need. He understands the need to move the ball quickly and has the skills to do it. His reading of the game is excellent too.

If you played.....

Sonny Harrry Kane Lucas

Ndombele Sissoko

Winks

....with 2 athletic full backs and a strong central defence, there's a bit of most things for me. You can also use Dele and say, Lo Celso to add a little guile from a diamond in midfield or playing a 3-4-3. However, IMHO Winks is a significant part of our rebuild but as part of a 3 or a diamond, less so as part of a 4-2-3-1.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

First team boot cleaner.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hugo
    AWB, Dave, Jan, Rose
    Tielemans, Sissoko, Ndombele
    Lucas, Kane, Son

please log in to view this image

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

I'd be all for buying Ndombele and Tielemans and letting Winks fight for his place. The same for Dele, Harry Kane, Hugo and everyone.

No favourites going forward and Dier in defence only unless he gets back some credible degree of athleticism!

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Dele - needs to go back to his old self. No fear, bit of a ****, fully focused on football. **** his Leo Fortis **** and tell Ruby Mae he loves her so they can make up.
    Winks - squad player.
    Kane - needs to be managed better. Adequate rest, doesn't always have to play 90 mins. And he definitely doesn't need to be brought on when 6-0 up at Tranmere to just to appease their ****ing fans!
    Hugo - tough one. Brilliant in spells, woeful in others. Not as good as he once was but still generally better than most keepers, however we need to take a leaf out of Pool and City's books and get a keeper who can play football as well as make saves. Though that level of keeper is gonna cost some cheddar (unless Gazza is given a chance to prove himself and turns out ideal).
    Dier - skating on the thinnest of ice. Last chance saloon for him, likely to start next season as a squad player so it's how he reacts that will determine his future.

11. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

I have read a couple of recent reports that Marcus Edwards has improved over the season while playing for Excelsior in Holland , ok they got relegated but is there a possibility that when he comes back to the squad he could by mistake put on a pair of sissoko's boots and we see the true quality player that lurks in there , tha lad has all the skills he just needs to put it on the pitch and gain pochs confidence or is this another false dawn for the "next Messi"

paultheplug likes this.
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He definitely matured as the games went by.

I don't think anyone doubts his talent, it's purely down to his mentality/ attitude. It'd be a great shame to see such a huge talent go to waste but then we've been there before with Taarabt. Genuinely believe he had the ability to become one of the best in the world, instead he's best known for lighting up the Championship with QPR and spending the majority of his time with Benfica in their B team.

Alfie Conn and paultheplug like this.
  13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

You need a slap <grr>

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

And a really hard kick in the bollocks <grr>

15. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

Poor man's John Pratt

SpursDisciple and Dier Hard like this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Lol. Seriously speaking he’s not of the calibre we need from a first XI perspective but I have recently said he’s gone up in my estimations to the point where I think he’s a good enough squad option.

17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

If he changed his name to van der Winks everyone would be describing him as a £70M player.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He’d probably be cheaper actually, English players are always overpriced.

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Harinho van Ndombelinks.

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

It seems that he plays a lot better in our European games than in PL ones, where he's regularly been one of our best players. He'd be a fabulous player in Spain or Italy and if we play a midfield three or the dreaded diamond.

In the 4-2-3-1 his game is diminished because he's no Big Vic or Mous(s)a, especially against teams that sit back and let us have the ball. Having said that, he's not alone in having that problem.

The Huddlefro likes this.