1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Virgil Van Dijk Stays at Southampton Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching football but the media/transfer circus really pisses me off.

That twat Murphy says VVD is just the player Liverpool need. Well he is just the player Southampton need so he can **** off with his stupid inane comments that are supposed to pass for punditry.

2. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

More like your club realises that selling for such a ludicrous fee isn't such a bad idea, especially with your track record of signing new defenders.

3. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

I think what he means is VVD is too good for Southampton <ok>

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Not so sure as all the PL teams have to be able to jog along, but the threat is there I suppose. What it does show is how pissed off the Saints board are with being treated with no respect. Going behind Saints back not only unsettles a player, but also affects his price. It is for us to negotiate (if we want to sell), not for the player to present us with a fait accompli. Apparently it was the Liverpool owners who stepped in quick when the **** hit the fan....suspect they were worried because of their problem with the Stoke lad.

Some fans say that footballers should be able to move like they would if they found a better job, but most contracts don't include a clause where you are on full pay for so many years if your services are no longer required. Footballers give up freedom of movement in exchange for some guarantee of work....ask the average jobbing player...do they want freedom of movement but no guarantee they won't be laid off at a moments notice. Only the top players would benefit from this.

Archers Road and Missing Lambo like this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I think we can all agree on one thing anyway - that in a crowded field, Danny Murphy stands out as possibly the worst pundit in the history of football.

He stands head and shoulders below his peers.

6. Archers Road

Steady on son. You are now jeapordising your cautious welcome on this board.

BobbyD, VVD and Skylarker like this.
  7. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

I agree, like I also know he is too good for Liverpool too. He should be aiming for one of the big European clubs and not one with just history to go on. Every Saints fan knows he will go at some point, but just want it to be to an appropriate club. Previous players we have sold to Liverpool have been about the right level for Liverpool (except Lovren who was nowhere near good enough even for them) but VVD is a different class altogether.

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Then he's an idiot. How does a team get better but by having better players.

Island Saint likes this.
  9. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Maybe he should not have signed a new contract under a year ago :emoticon-0148-yes:

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

A less inflammatory way to essentially say the same thing would have been that VVD is good enough to play for any of the top teams. Which does kind of rule Liverpool out. The stupid thing is, if all of these players that are 'too good for Southampton' (and we've had a fair few) stayed, they wouldn't be 'too good for Southampton' because Southampton would be challenging for trophies. Good job this glass ceiling is maintained by the elite in football hand in hand with the footballing authorities.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Someone made the point a few days back that had we sold Mane this summer, we would have got 50m or more. If VVD is worth 65-70 million now, then next summer it could be closer to 100m. That might sound ridiculous now, but then again imagine if someone had said last summer that Kyle Walker would be bought for 50m in a year's time. We might as well say to Virgil that we will give him 10m just to stay on for one more year, cos we will easily cover that next year wehn we do eventually sell him.

12. Archers Road

Unless he never fully recovers from his injury, and in place of a Rolls Royce we are left with a clapped out Ford Cortina on our hands.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  13. LuisDiazgamechanger

Not a clever thing to say, Liverpool finished 4th last season with 76 points.
    Southampton finished 8th with 46 points.
    VVD much more clever than you lots, he can see the difference.

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

If he was really clever, then he would hold out for a club with a realistic chance of winning major silverware.

Diego likes this.
  15. LuisDiazgamechanger

And that happens to be Southampton:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

16. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Fantastic selective quoting there. I must have missed the part where I said that Southampton were better than Liverpool last season. What I said was that Liverpool are not really a top club. They're in the tier below that. The 'This is our year...oh...maybe next year' league of clubs. VVD is better than Liverpool, he could play for any of the top clubs in world football.

Diego and Le Tissier’s Laces like this.
  17. Archers Road

Obviously not.

Are you a bit slow all the time, or is this just a bad day for you?

18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Can you actually read? Nobody thinks that. I'd say close to 100% of this board expect him to go this season or next. We just expect him to go to a top club.

VocalMinority likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

see the bbc have VVD picture on their news of the day thread <grr>

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Did I say he should stay at Southampton? I said, he should hold out for a club with a realistic chance of silverware, ie; neither yourselves nor us.

**** me, Liverpool fans are thick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.