1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The vagaries of ordering Home Deliveries !

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by tigerscanada, Aug 28, 2019.

1. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Let's have your stories. There have to be some a lot more interesting than the attached ?

My local Indian Restaurant - 7 minutes walk just around the corner from my house, doesn't appear to open in the evening until 5:00 p.m.
    So, 10 minutes to five ( I normally do this around 9 - 10 p.m.) I phoned 'em for to make a home delivery order.
    No answer. New lady on the phone calls me back about 2 mins later.
    I ask, "Thought you opened the restaurant at 5 pm ? "
    "We do".
    "How come you didn't answer the phone ?". Assuming there might be very few punters ordering food in the actual premises when most working stiffs are still at work, or battling the rush hour traffic.

"The kitchen staff haven't started yet" she responded.
    "Haven't you just opened the restaurant for the "sit-down" public ?".
    "Yes, but there are only about 3 couples here so far."
    (Note: The restaurant probably holds about 100 people in their main dining room.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Just had a knock on the door. Young lad freelance he said, wanted to know if he could use my driveway tomorrow to park one of the production team's trucks (making an TV ad in the house 3 doors away) tomorrow morning. There had been a brochure pumped through the letter box yesterday warning all the neighbours of this serious imposition on our tranquility !).
    "How much I said", fully knowing I was off to play golf & 7:00 a.m tomorrow.
    The round will cost me around 40 quid, including green fees, couple of beers and gas to get there & back.
    "60 quid we offered your neighbour", he said.
    "Done", realizing that just covered my Indian grub tonight and pretty well my golf expenses tomorrow.
    GET IN.

I'll probably prang my car on the way to golf tomorrow, or break my leg attempting to hit my drive 300 yards on the first tee - knowing my luck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway, back to the Indian home delivery saga:
    "What's you name and address" she asks.
    I tell her.

"Where is that ?" is her plaintive response.
    "Just round the corner from you restaurant - 7 minutes walk, 2 minutes by car".
    "Let me get onto google to check the map."
    "You can see my house from your patio" I say. "And your drivers have been here at least once per month since you opened." - which was about 20 years ago.
    "Ah, I'll ask the driver. Ah. "He's not here yet - gets here at 5:15"

I interject:
    "You have all my details in your system" - (I'm getting a little dubious about now) so ask the young lady (assumed) " Do you take Visa ? What's the minimum order for a home delivery and what's the estimated delivery time ?"
    "The usual."
    Doesn't help. they seem to hike the prices every month (high rental area it seems for retail operations.)

"Make sure the bloody order is still hot when it arrives and ask the driver to phone me when he arrives as I maybe upstairs and unlikely to hear the knock on the door." I blurt out in exasperation.

Twenty minutes later the delivery guy ( who's been coming here for close to 15 years) arrives, makes his apologies, get his generous tip (all smiles) and almost falls down my front porch steps.

Bloody hell. Life used to be so much easier.

Good news is, TWS lost last night !